Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL 2012

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
WasFab
Posts: 269
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:40 am

by WasFab

Anyone know about this set of wheels. Anyone ride them and can share some information. I know they weight 1740 gram and Mavic improved the hub and the wind flow of the carbon flange. Happy to get more info.
Thanks

by Weenie


lee16
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:27 am

by lee16

They are too heavy... you wont like them.

WasFab
Posts: 269
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:40 am

by WasFab

Are they heavier than the older model 2011 or 2010
Did you ride them?

User avatar
fa63
Posts: 2274
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:26 am
Location: Atlanta, GA, US

by fa63

I think there haven't been any changes to these wheels in the last few years. I have a pair of the 2010 model and really like them, both from a performance and durability standpoint (the front hub gets loose periodically, but the preload is easily adjusted). They weighed 1,780g on my scale (without rim strips).

User avatar
kgt
Posts: 6808
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Athens, Greece

by kgt

lee16 wrote:They are too heavy... you wont like them.

I 've also tried them and found them only suitable for flatter rides with constant tempo.

WasFab
Posts: 269
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:40 am

by WasFab

kgt wrote:
lee16 wrote:They are too heavy... you wont like them.

I 've also tried them and found them only suitable for flatter rides with constant tempo.

what would you recommend to go for if we are looking for not just a dam flat route (but like sportives and some climbs) in the same range of prices as the carbon SL?

swalburn
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:11 am
Location: Michigan

by swalburn

I bought a set of 2010's a couple years ago and they are my single favorite set of wheels I've ever used. I'm 190 pounds so I'm not a lightweight, but I use them for crits, road races, TT's and just about everything else. They are relatively cheap, stiff, and very fast.

I'm sure a pair of 404's would be better, but I've never worried about crashing my Carbones because I have MP3 coverage for them. People constantly tell me they are too heavy, but they are an outstanding wheel. Most of the people who say that have never used them. I haven't had a single problem with them in 2 years.
Get busy living or get busy dying!

WasFab
Posts: 269
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:40 am

by WasFab

swalburn wrote:I bought a set of 2010's a couple years ago and they are my single favorite set of wheels I've ever used. I'm 190 pounds so I'm not a lightweight, but I use them for crits, road races, TT's and just about everything else. They are relatively cheap, stiff, and very fast.

I'm sure a pair of 404's would be better, but I've never worried about crashing my Carbones because I have MP3 coverage for them. People constantly tell me they are too heavy, but they are an outstanding wheel. Most of the people who say that have never used them. I haven't had a single problem with them in 2 years.

thank you for that. I have a tubular 404 which ride amazingly and it's of course light for climbs and also aero. I wanted as well to have another clincher. I thought to get another full carbon clincher like Reynolds or Corima 2nd end but eventually I'm thinking of getting the 2012 cosmic SL. I am 174lb and 6feet. I think I'm going to try them after all. I just got little concern of how would Ill climb 7-10 percent gradient with the Cosmic SL

User avatar
fa63
Posts: 2274
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:26 am
Location: Atlanta, GA, US

by fa63

They will climb just fine, limited only by the strength of the rider.

MDiddy
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:46 am
Location: Corona, California

by MDiddy

fabiancanchelara wrote:
swalburn wrote:I bought a set of 2010's a couple years ago and they are my single favorite set of wheels I've ever used. I'm 190 pounds so I'm not a lightweight, but I use them for crits, road races, TT's and just about everything else. They are relatively cheap, stiff, and very fast.

I'm sure a pair of 404's would be better, but I've never worried about crashing my Carbones because I have MP3 coverage for them. People constantly tell me they are too heavy, but they are an outstanding wheel. Most of the people who say that have never used them. I haven't had a single problem with them in 2 years.

thank you for that. I have a tubular 404 which ride amazingly and it's of course light for climbs and also aero. I wanted as well to have another clincher. I thought to get another full carbon clincher like Reynolds or Corima 2nd end but eventually I'm thinking of getting the 2012 cosmic SL. I am 174lb and 6feet. I think I'm going to try them after all. I just got little concern of how would Ill climb 7-10 percent gradient with the Cosmic SL


I had the 2010 SL's and have the 2012 SLR's now. They are bullet proof as far as reliability goes. As for climbing, I've taken them up grades well over 15% and yeah, the only thing holding them back is me. They are a solid 200 grams heavier than my EC90's, but the lack of flex and better braking more than makes up for it.

kervelo
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:58 am
Location: Finland

by kervelo

fabiancanchelara wrote:
kgt wrote:
lee16 wrote:They are too heavy... you wont like them.

I 've also tried them and found them only suitable for flatter rides with constant tempo.

what would you recommend to go for if we are looking for not just a dam flat route (but like sportives and some climbs) in the same range of prices as the carbon SL?


Campagnolo Bullet 50 would be another option. In standard configuration the price is about the same as the price of Mavics, so is the weight. The Ultra version, however, is lighter, but also more expensive.

WasFab
Posts: 269
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:40 am

by WasFab

kervelo wrote:
fabiancanchelara wrote:
kgt wrote:
lee16 wrote:They are too heavy... you wont like them.

I 've also tried them and found them only suitable for flatter rides with constant tempo.

what would you recommend to go for if we are looking for not just a dam flat route (but like sportives and some climbs) in the same range of prices as the carbon SL?


Campagnolo Bullet 50 would be another option. In standard configuration the price is about the same as the price of Mavics, so is the weight. The Ultra version, however, is lighter, but also more expensive.

with Shimano freehub...?

5 8 5
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:36 am
Location: UK

by 5 8 5

fabiancanchelara wrote:
kervelo wrote:Campagnolo Bullet 50 would be another option. In standard configuration the price is about the same as the price of Mavics, so is the weight. The Ultra version, however, is lighter, but also more expensive.

with Shimano freehub...?

Yes, there's a Shimano / Sram freehub option.
Alternatively, Fulcrum Red Wind is the equivalent of the the standard Bullet and the Red Wind XLR is the equivalent of the Bullet Ultra.
Again available with Shimano / Sram freehubs.

WasFab
Posts: 269
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:40 am

by WasFab

Thanks 5 8 5 that was very helpfull!

User avatar
STARNUT
Posts: 3424
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:43 am
Location: Hilly, Hot, and Windy

by STARNUT

I have 3 sets of these. 2 tubies and a clincher set. Love them, favorite all around wheel. They no longer make the tubies. If I bought some new ones I'd opt for the SLE's over the SL's. If your getting these before May 15th the extra MP3 coverage is a $1 :shock:

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post