Tubeless Blowout Tracker: Share your experience

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

alanyu wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:20 pm
So fix your title and the table index. It's not blowout.
Merriam Webster:
blowout noun
blow·​out | \ ˈblō-ˌau̇t \
Definition of blowout (Entry 1 of 2)
1: a festive social affair
2: a bursting of a container (such as a tire) by pressure of the contents on a weak spot
This is what I experienced. I won't be changing the title.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

alanyu

by alanyu

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:29 pm
alanyu wrote:
Merriam Webster:
blowout noun
2: a bursting of a container (such as a tire) by pressure of the contents on a weak spot
ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:12 am
It's not what I intended, but fair jab at not being specific. The reality is that flats can happen subtly or catatrophically in any form of inflation. I created this thread to track instances of total loss of pressure that is irrepairable while running tubeless. In the example that I gave, I rode that tire 30km with an inner tube to the nearest bikeshop. I did that while having a constant deformity in the tire that felt like going over a bump every revolution, but it is what it is. The whole purpose of this thread is to tie conditions to events so we can better understand them. I want everyone to have the safest and most enjoyable riding experience possible. If the bike industry is putting millions (if not billions) behind tubeless, I'd rather learn from and share the shortcomings sooner than be a statistic of a mandatory recall later.
You are not tracking blowout. An irrepairable loss of pressure doesn't need to be a blowout

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:29 pm
alanyu wrote:
Merriam Webster:
blowout noun

If your tire gets slashed, then the container wasn't ruptured by the pressure of the contents on a weak spot...it was ruptured by a sharp object.

TrackSmart

by TrackSmart

This thread is a good idea. While blow offs are rare, understanding if some tire and rim combinations are problematic is pretty important. Manufacturers can't test every combination. Of course, even within a given model of tire and rim there will be variation. In my case, I had successfully used the same model tire on the same rim for a few years and over several thousand miles (i.e. 3 or 4 rear tires of the same model in that time period), so it was a solid combination prior to this experience. I'm going get this thread started again with my own entry.

Tire Brand: Panaracer Gravel King TLC 38mm (i.e. the slick/smooth version without additional armoring)
Tire Size: 38mm
Wheel Model: Light Bicycle AR24 (name of the rim, you can customize with different hubs/spokes)
Rim/Disc Brake: Disc
Hooked/Hookless: Hookless
Sealant: Stans
Rim Tape: 2 layers of Stan's yellow tape
Pressure: ~38 PSI at the start of the ride
System Weight (Rider+Bike): 170 lbs (145 lbs rider, ~19 lbs bike, ~6 lbs water bottles, clothes, and gear)
Tire wear: ~800km/500 miles (I usually burn through rear tires in about 1000 - 1200 miles and there was lots of tread left on this tire).
Blowout Date: July 30, 2022
Indoors/Outdoors?: Outdoors
Est. Ambient Temp: 85 F/30C
Blowout details: Started descending a paved hill. Tire blew out on the first curve in the road (thankfully, I had not yet gotten up to high speeds!). There was a sudden bang and loss of pressure. I was able to slow down, while riding on the rim + deflated tire. When I came to a stop, I saw that one side of the tire had completely blown off the rim. The tire was damaged -- it was no longer round and would not hold air tubeless. I installed a tube, noticed the tire had a bulge in it, and slowly rode it slowly for about 300 yards just to test it. It blew off the rim again with a bang!
My incident occurred during a gravel ride, but on a paved portion of the ride. I had used this same tire and wheel combination for at least several thousand miles prior to this blowoff. I had worn through 3 or 4 of this same model of tire on this particular rear wheel prior to the blowoff and had no prior incidents. It's possible that this particular tire was a looser fit. Or that I had lost some pressure just before the event, resulting in a burp on that corner, which precipitated the blowoff. It's difficult to know for sure, but I do not remember the tire feeling soft prior to the "bang". And I didn't notice any debris in the road or anything stuck in the tire itself after inspecting it. I'm grateful the blowoff occurred before I had gotten up to really high speed! This was the start of a long, steep descent that would have gotten me up to at least 40 MPH with a little bit more time.
Pictures (if possible):

bigevil

by bigevil

yingyu wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:53 am
Not my experience, but https://www.cyclingweekly.com/products/ ... -the-rules has an example of hookless blowout when overinflated

Tire Brand: Continental GP5000 S TR
Tire Size: 28mm
Wheel Model: Zipp 353 NSW, 25mm internal width
Hooked/Hookless: Hookless
Sealant: unknown
Rim Tape: probably Zipp factory installed
Pressure: 100psi
System Weight (Rider+Bike): 0
Tire wear: ?
Blowout Date: sometime before 2021/10/04
Indoors/Outdoors?: probably outdoors
Est. Ambient Temp (°C or °F): ?
Blowout details: blowout spontaneously 10min after pumping tire to 100psi, exceeding hookless limit 72psi
Pictures (if possible): see the article
btw I just had this exact same setup blowout [and cause a hell of a lot of injuries for me]
was @ 60 psi, right in the sweetspot range for my weight and well under 72.5

carbonazza

by carbonazza

Tire Brand: IRC Formula Pro X-Guard
Wheel Model: LB AR56 (23mm/30mm width)
Hooked/Hookless: Hooked
Sealant: Muc Off
Rim Tape: 1 layer 3-M
Pressure: 4 bar
System Weight (Rider+Bike): ~78kg
Tire wear: 320km
Blowout Date: Oct 13, 2018
Indoors/Outdoors?: Outdoors
Est. Ambient Temp (°C or °F): ?
Blowout details:
Riding at about 30 km/h on a flat cycling pad, after 320km of a 400km ride, a BANG!
To discover what you can see on the pictures.
These wheels have been only and still are ridden with GP5000 tubeless.
But for this 400km, I wanted to have more sturdy tires.
My binome went to a shop nearby to get a tire and tube, and we lost the race :)
This is my only blowout in 8+ years of exclusive tubeless MTB, gravel and road riding.
Pictures (if possible):
Attachments
IMG_2383 2.jpg
IMG_2385 2.jpg

carbonazza

by carbonazza

TrackSmart wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:03 am
This thread is a good idea...
Yeah. From your story and mine. We can conclude that Japanese tires and LB rims uniquevocally are dangerous to ride :lol:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

carbonazza wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:26 pm
TrackSmart wrote:
Yeah. From your story and mine. We can conclude that Japanese tires and LB rims uniquevocally are dangerous to ride :lol:

I remember when you originally posted about this blowout because both dvq and I had bead separation problems with our IRC Formula Pro tires. The rubber casing cracked along the top edge of the bead causing my tire to go flat in less than 10 seconds.

kervelo

by kervelo

carbonazza wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:21 pm
Tire Brand: IRC Formula Pro X-Guard
The tyre bead is quite badly damaged. Did that happen when the tyre blew out?

DaveS

by DaveS

So ETRTO has hundreds of pages of info, but no standards? Somehow companies like Zipp, Enve, BTLOS and many others build hookless rims that work. I've got BTLOS and Zipp wheels running hookless at the pressure suggested by Zipp with no problems. So far I've only used Michelin and Pirelli P-ZERO tubeless tires. I really like my BTLOS 25mm IW hookless rims with 28mm tires that measure about 31mm. I've also got 28 and 30mm Pirelli on 23mm IW rims that measure 29 and 31.5mm.

A big concern from those who love to fret is tire test pressure. I apparently risked my life by pumping up my tires to 85 psi as a test. I run 50-55, so I'm not worried about a tire blowing off. I've run mine up to 57.5 mph.
Last edited by DaveS on Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dvq

by dvq

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:08 pm
carbonazza wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:26 pm
TrackSmart wrote:

I remember when you originally posted about this blowout because both dvq and I had bead separation problems with our IRC Formula Pro tires. The rubber casing cracked along the top edge of the bead causing my tire to go flat in less than 10 seconds.
... :lol:

carbonazza

by carbonazza

kervelo wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:00 pm
The tyre bead is quite badly damaged. Did that happen when the tyre blew out?
Yes. It was a surprisingly loud blast.
Nothing was really apparent until unmounting the tire.