Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Any Bora owners planning to upgrade to Shimano 12-speed? It appears that the 12-speed Dura Ace cassette requires a new freehub, one that is similar to the 12-speed MTB Microspline freehub but different in length and spline profile. Since the WTO is fairly new I would expect that Campy will offer a Microspline-Road upgrade freehub. I don't know if the axle needs to be replaced. The Shimano Microspline freehub has a smaller diameter than the HG freehub. So if the axle stays the same then the two bearings inside the Microspline-Road freehub would have to shrink significantly. I have two sets of non-WTO Boras. I've checked Campy's technical document and both the non-WTO and WTO use the same freehub. So I'm covered as long as Campy continues to support the WTO with new freehub standards.

MariusRO

by MariusRO

According to the rumors posted in the DuraAce thread, we'll have 11t as smallest cog so HG freehub not microspline ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

MariusRO wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:36 pm
According to the rumors posted in the DuraAce thread, we'll have 11t as smallest cog so HG freehub not microspline ;-)
Someone in the same thread said the Dura Ace cassettes will only come in the MS version, while the Ultegra will come with HG. Hence my question. I'd rather not use Ultegra if I had a choice. It looks like Shimano is trying to push MS. Those that don't care about MS can just use the heavier Ultegra cassette. Maybe this is a false rumor. But it appeared that someone was given that information and he shared it here.

dalex

by dalex

Cat6Barrister wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:51 pm
Someone should write to campy and ask they sell 45/60 combos.
Since the wheels can be ordered separately, this is exactly what my LBS in Switzerland was able to sell me last year. It's proved the perfect combo for my needs :-)

Cat6Barrister

by Cat6Barrister

dalex wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:36 pm
Cat6Barrister wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:51 pm
Someone should write to campy and ask they sell 45/60 combos.
Since the wheels can be ordered separately, this is exactly what my LBS in Switzerland was able to sell me last year. It's proved the perfect combo for my needs :-)
Damn...Unless I win the lottery tomorrow, I'll continue to remind myself this "hobby" already has me deeply in the red financially lol.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:18 am
MariusRO wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:36 pm
Someone in the same thread said the Dura Ace cassettes will only come in the MS version, while the Ultegra will come with HG. Hence my question. I'd rather not use Ultegra if I had a choice. It looks like Shimano is trying to push MS. Those that don't care about MS can just use the heavier Ultegra cassette. Maybe this is a false rumor. But it appeared that someone was given that information and he shared it here.
Shimano will not push MS and 12speed cassette will fit an 11spd body...wait and see.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

bruno2000 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:03 am
Shimano will not push MS and 12speed cassette will fit an 11spd body...wait and see.
Thank you! That's what I wanted to hear!

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Just picked up a WTO 45 Rimbrake pair with a Shimano/SRAM freehub:
Front: 657g
Rear: 855.5g
Total: 1512.5g (1496g advertised)
Delta from advertised: 16.5g/1.1%
Very satisfied with the weigh in.
borawto45frontweight.jpg
WTO45rearweight.jpg
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

Cat6Barrister

by Cat6Barrister

I basically spent over an hour swapping out clincher gp5000 for vittoria corsa on one of my wheels the other day...If I knew how hard it is I would have just gone tubeless because theres no way on gods green earth will I be able to change a flat on the road.

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Question: are these spokes top-of-the-line for campy? They seem kinda... chonky. I would love to swap them for DT Aerolites or Sapim CX Rays but I have no idea if that's 1. possible 2. will mess up I'm sure some special sauce of Campy's spoke choice.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:Question: are these spokes top-of-the-line for campy? They seem kinda... chonky. I would love to swap them for DT Aerolites or Sapim CX Rays but I have no idea if that's 1. possible 2. will mess up I'm sure some special sauce of Campy's spoke choice.
It may be possible if you can find just the right length spokes with the correct head shape.

But the question is why? You may lose weight but likely compromise stiffness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevinw

by kevinw

ultimobici wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:19 am
ArtifactsInMotion wrote:Question: are these spokes top-of-the-line for campy? They seem kinda... chonky. I would love to swap them for DT Aerolites or Sapim CX Rays but I have no idea if that's 1. possible 2. will mess up I'm sure some special sauce of Campy's spoke choice.
It may be possible if you can find just the right length spokes with the correct head shape.

I also think the diamond shape of the spokes goes a long way to explain why the wheels perform so well in a cross wind.

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

kevinw wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:44 pm
ultimobici wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:19 am

I also think the diamond shape of the spokes goes a long way to explain why the wheels perform so well in a cross wind.
Because I am as vain and emotional as I am a weight weenie 😅I like the look of thinner bladed spokes better, and hoping there would be a weight element gain to it as well, but if it makes the wheel shit to ride, then no thanks.

kevinw

by kevinw

Master-Ti wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 6:53 pm
I have no problems mounting the pair of Vittoria Corsa tubeless-ready tires, 28mm rear and 25mm front. However when I inflate, the air leaks out under the tire bead without the tire beads snapping onto the rim bed.
I had the same issues with the Corsa Speeds and gave up on them. I have now managed to buy some of the Vittoria air liners and I'm pleased to report that they now seat with just a track pump 👍

Really pleased with the liners but don't think I would get them fitted with GP5ks on these rims - already a really tight fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Master-Ti

by Master-Ti

I tried all the suggestions posted above without success, so I temporarily rode the Vittoria Corsa G2.0 tubeless ready tires with inner tubes for two 30km rides, hoping this would soften the tires enough to allow them to snap into the tubeless grooves on the rims.

After 2 rides, it was then really easy to remove the inner tube on one side and have the opposite bead stay beaded in the tubeless groove. The tire was then really easy to inflate, with the re-installed bead snapping into place first try!

Makes me wonder whether I should have just left the tire out in the sun to soften up from heat first before trying to install. Perhaps worth trying the next time?