How to prevent brake pads from glazing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stockie

by Stockie

Hi,

I'm riding my carbon Duke rims for half a year now (rim brake version), but my brake pads keep on glazing really quick.
I tried different types of pads, but they al have the same problem.
I do not ride in wet conditions, nor in the mountains, and since i weigh 60kgs, i don't use that much braking power to stop.

Can the glazing being caused by brake 'too little', as the rims sort of polish the pads?

Thanks
I Will make the leap

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Are your brake tracks glossy "resin rich"?

I think you need to wear past the resin before braking can improve. When you brake on bare carbon the heat should go down and brake bite go up.

Are you using cork pads? My experience is that cork pads glaze over really quickly. They cost nearly nothing so popping the wheel off and just sanding lightly will fix that if you insist on using them.

Try other pads. There are many pads out there that are rim friendly. Are you concerned with voiding your warranty?

Stockie

by Stockie

You can see the shiny carbon fibers, so i thint that there isn't much resin left... You can even feel that the rim is a bit hollow where the pads touch.
I don't use cork pads. On this moment i'm using Black Prince, but i all ready tried BBB and the original blue no-name brake pads (i think they are the same as those from Light Bicycle).
I Will make the leap

alcatraz

by alcatraz

That's odd. I'm surprised you can glaze black princes because my experience is they just turn to a messy goo when overheating. Are they old? I think they harden with age.

Is it possible you're dragging your brakes a lot with a light pressure? Try to avoid that. Brake a bit harder and then release. That way you should only need to clean your pads and brake tracks very rarely.

Clean the brake tracks with alcohol. Give the pads a very light sanding. Maybe you have a film of something that doesn't mate well with those pads. It can always be a bit different in different areas. Kind of like seaside = oxidation.

Sometimes using very bad brake calipers causes this too. They can't provide enough pressure and stopping power that you must drag your brakes and then it just turns to crap. Also if you're a heavy guy it would be a nice upgrade to put some duraace calipers on there.