DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks. I just submitted my request for two retrofit kits. Let's see what they say. Ironically I don't live too far from DT Swiss U.S.A., about a four hour one-way drive without traffic. But it's far enough that I wouldn't think about going there in person. I also asked them about the differences between the two types of grease, and whether one is preferred over the other. I guess with the grey grease it would be more difficult to tell if the grease has been contaminated.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Problem for all in the UK are that the tools to do the job aren't available for 6 weeks...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nick38

by Nick38

ryanw wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:03 am
Problem for all in the UK are that the tools to do the job aren't available for 6 weeks...
As you've some experience with these RyanW what tools are required other than the ratchet tool to remove the fixed ratchet in the hub?

GeoffS

by GeoffS

pdlpsher1 - where did you get your wheels from with the grey grease?

MattMay

by MattMay

Just swapped out loose ratchets and free hubs supplied by DT Swiss on both of my 180 exp wheelsets...both had grey grease as well. One Light Bicycle, one Farsports. No damage to ratchets but I feel better with the new parts in. Maybe 20 mins work to change both wheels. Easy peasy, no tools needed. Just a rag, a brush and the red grease they send.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

GeoffS wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:28 am
pdlpsher1 - where did you get your wheels from with the grey grease?
Both from LightBicycle. I think the grey grease has zinc content and zinc is an anti-pressure/anti-wear additive if I recall. DT Swiss didn't answer my question on the differences between the two types of grease and whether one type is better than the other.

GeoffS

by GeoffS

Thanks. I have grey grease on my wheels from Farsports. I suspect the grease they use isn't officially approved by DT Swiss. Typically grease designed for splines etc has high molybdenum disulphide content and is dark grey. The special DT Swiss grease has no moly (it is based on Molykote TP42 which is a calcium soap grease). Who knows whether this is part of the problem or not...

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Do you think the hubs are pre-greased from DT Swiss or greased by the wheel builders? There are so many different hub configurations and I wonder if wheelbuilders like Farsports and LightBicycle buy component 'kits' and then assemble them based on customers' requirements. It does seem odd that both Farsports and LightBicycle use the grey colored grease.

propellerhead92

by propellerhead92

I have a set of ARC1400 DB50s. The grease inside was grey, but I could see red grease too. Perhaps the grey grease is the red grease but containing the surface breakdown of the ratchet? Anyway my wheels have been sent off for a hub replacement.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

propellerhead92 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:06 am
I have a set of ARC1400 DB50s. The grease inside was grey, but I could see red grease too. Perhaps the grey grease is the red grease but containing the surface breakdown of the ratchet? Anyway my wheels have been sent off for a hub replacement.
I doubt it. Mine has very low miles and the grease is all grey with no red visible. I believe the grey grease is what's used from the factory and the red grease is sold as aftermarket. I have no idea why there are two kinds of grease. Maybe they used the color red for aftermarket and shop use so it won't get easily confused with other generic grease.

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

Nick38 wrote:
ryanw wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:03 am
As you've some experience with these RyanW what tools are required other than the ratchet tool to remove the fixed ratchet in the hub?
You need the toolkit, there is a video on YouTube. Involves having to remove the bearings, just the ratchet tool is not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

Here is the video

https://youtu.be/HdTTN5YLCRU

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

It's been over 3 weeks now since I sent my wheel back to the UK service centre, I'll be honest my patience is starting to wear a bit thin now, I have a brand new bike I can not use because of this.
If this carries on I'm gonna have to think about hiring a rear wheel so I can at least use the bike

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

WizzyBob wrote:It's been over 3 weeks now since I sent my wheel back to the UK service centre, I'll be honest my patience is starting to wear a bit thin now, I have a brand new bike I can not use because of this.
If this carries on I'm gonna have to think about hiring a rear wheel so I can at least use the bike
They were meant to get the parts this week, but since I never heard back from them I don’t think they have them. I’m only sending my wheel once they have them in stock.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com