Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
AJS914

by AJS914

This is their 50mm non-tubeless rim:

https://www.wheelsfar.com/50mm-x-25mm-c ... 25u-4.html

Tubeless rims have beadlock channels in the rim regardeless of whether they have spoke holes. If they don't have spoke holes then you don't need to use rim tape.

I'd recommend not getting rims with a beadlock if you are never going to go tubeless because you may need to over-inflate to get the tire to pop on. I'm using a GP4000 on a Farsports tubeless rim and it takes 120psi to pop the tire into the channels. I've yet to have to do this on the side of the road with my mini-pump but I think it's going to be impossible.

win32

by win32

Thanks, than I will look for normal clincher wheels because I'm not sure if I will use tubeless option.
I was send some message at Aliexpress for price and I need to send message to Light Bicycle just to see who have better price.
Is better Novatec or Bitex hubs?
I see that main problem is costs of shipping and that's why I get higher prices.
Shipping is around 150$. :(
I will ask for some discount at Light Bicycle and at Farsports, maybe someone will give discount or just to somehow get lower price of shipping.

Is Farsports making Tokyowheels?

They have free shipping to my country and their priče for Epic 5.6 is 669$:

https://www.tokyowheel.com/products/epi ... r-wheelset

Is that ok wheels? They have some Tokyowheel hubs.

I will buy today wheels just if they have lower shipping costs. :(

by Weenie

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

Excited to actually ride these things. Tubeless setup with the pro ones was exceptionally easy.
Last edited by icantaffordcycling on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Specialized Allez Sprint
Instagram || Shitposting is a god-given right. bannable offense.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:38 am
Excited to actually ride these things. Tubeless setup with the pro ones was exceptionally easy.
People other than you won't be able to see the image, I'd attach the photo directly to the post.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Those are the 56mm AR's vs CLX 64 right? Only 8mm height difference but the CLX look so much bigger.
I also ordered the AR56, but now i'm wondering if they're deep enough for my systemsix or if they will look to shallow.

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

eins4eins wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:16 am
Those are the 56mm AR's vs CLX 64 right? Only 8mm height difference but the CLX look so much bigger.
I also ordered the AR56, but now i'm wondering if they're deep enough for my systemsix or if they will look to shallow.
obligatory 8mm is a lot.
What size is your system six? The 64s are DEEP and you break necks from people wanting to see what you are riding. The 50mm range wheels don't do that same effect. This is going on an Allez where I thought the 64s were TOO deep. However, it might be the perspective that is overexaggerating the difference.
Compare photos of the S-Works Venge and Venge Pro. The S-Works looks so much more intimidating with its 64mm deep wheels.
Specialized Allez Sprint
Instagram || Shitposting is a god-given right. bannable offense.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

size 54...so the AR's won't look totally out of place. I also think they're the better allround wheel, weighing less without too big of an aero penalty, but still the bike is built for 65mm really.
Unfortunately you're on the other side of the pond and the exchange rate isn't what it used to be, otherwise your clx's would have been perfect.

BikeSwan

by BikeSwan

Hi all! I received my Light Bicycle wheels today, so I thought I’d update the thread that convinced me to go the LB route.

A few months ago, I commissioned a custom titanium disc road bike from Landyachtz in Vancouver, Canada. I knew I wanted a somewhat retro look for the carbon fibre components, so I was looking for a wheelset with exposed 3k weave carbon fibre finish and the possibility of running no decals. My initial plan was to purchase a set of Mcfk 55mm road wheels with Tune hubs, but I was concerned that the 18mm internal width wasn't going to be optimal for the 28-30c tires I want to run on the bike. After querying this forum, I struggled to find any negative press about the Light Bicycle wheels. After a quick chat with Nancy at LB, I settled on a specification and sent them the funds via PayPal.

I went for the AR56 rim as I wanted a mid-depth rim with a wide internal profile (but not too wide for 25c tires if I choose to run them, like the WR50 rims they offer). I've always wanted a set of Tune hubs, but I wanted to keep J-Bend Sapim CX-Ray spokes as I think they can be laced to ride better than straight pull spokes, so the King Kong was the obvious choice. Given I’ll be running disc brakes and weigh ~195lbs, I opted for 24 spokes in the front wheel and 28 spokes in the rear. This specification cost me $1,094 USD, or $1,663 CAD once all was said and done.

I ordered the wheels on September 9th and received them today (October 23rd). So a 44-day lead time. Apparently, this was unusually long as I had to wait for Tune to ship the hubs to Light Bicycle, then my order got caught in the middle of a week long holiday in China. Needless to say, I'm happy to see my wheels!

They look very well made. I'm in the composites industry myself and can say that the finishing on the rims is of a high standard - higher than the Easton EC90 Aero55's , and on par with a set of ENVE SES 3.4 Tubulars I also have. Without destructive testing or an x-ray or ultrasound machine it's difficult to say what the actual layup quality is like, but given I've heard no horror stories about people's LB wheels disintegrating underneath them, I’m reasonably confident they'll be safe. The drilled spoke holes in the rim are consistent and have no exposed fibres, and the weave of the carbon material iteself is consistent and wrinkle free. I'm very impressed with the finishing of these wheels at this price point. The weight for the wheels came in at 673g for the front, 811g for the rear, and 1,484g for the pair, with no valves, rim tape, or packaging on the wheelset.

Can't wait to get these on the bike in a couple of months!

Landyachtz 1146 Ti Custom
Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Dean Vador
Specialized S-Works Enduro 29
Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon

. . . and a 500lb KTM :thumbup:

ArtV

by ArtV

Nice wheels. Mine have been in stuck in customs since 10/15. Needless to say I am getting anxious.

My 35mm deep 25mm wide tubeless wheels laced to Carbon-ti hubs will hopefully bring my Helium SLX below 6 kg.

Also waiting on a Darimo seatpost which I bought over 3 weeks ago but that is a story for another thread.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

ordered mine on the 16th and order status says they're still processing. Seeing all those nice wheels here, the wait is killing me :D

ArtV

by ArtV

Mine are still stuck in customs. Did anyone else have a customs delay? Any suggestions on what I can do to help get them processed through customs? I ordered mine on September 18th. Thanks.

soonerrebel

by soonerrebel

ArtV wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:38 am
Mine are still stuck in customs. Did anyone else have a customs delay? Any suggestions on what I can do to help get them processed through customs? I ordered mine on September 18th. Thanks.
My wheels spent a week in customs, sometimes it seems they just take awhile. I've also had stuff clear customs in one day.

ArtV

by ArtV

At 16 days, my wheels have started their third week in customs. Not sure what they can do but while they have been nice, the Light Bicycle folks haven't really done anything to help.

The people at customs have been as helpful as you would expect from employees of the federal government. No offense intended.

ms6073

by ms6073

My guess is that your items are subject to additional fees or tariffs that the shipper did not cover, so a custom's brokerage is required to negotiate/pay the fees. While that used to only incur a few extra days handling, I suspect with so many items from China incurring tarriff's these days, the USPS is either backed up or customs brokerages are not as willing to front the fee''s anymore. You may be best served contacting a customs brokerage in the city where your package currently resides (Chicag0, Los Angelos, Miami?) and see what they suggest.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

by Weenie

g32ecs

by g32ecs

If I don't score a sweet deal on a CL50 it looks like I'll go with my trusty OEM manufacturers again. Currently using Yoeleo and they've been bombproof for 10k kms now.

Questions:

- can you still order from the global warehouse even if you live in NA? What's the shipping charge?

They have some Novatec hubs there that's very cost effective for the build I want. The NA option is $400 more for the cheapest option and honestly, I dont feel like paying that much just to save 50g.

- I find it hard to believe they can make a set that's under 1500g for a 46mm disc wheelset, are they for real? I kinda wished they offered a 20H option (go 20/20). 24H is a bit too much, but I'm guessing they're going for durability here.

My rim brake Yoeleos are under 1500g but they're also just 38mm deep and the bearings have been upgraded to ceramic. 1500g to me is just about the limit I'm willing to go weight wise for a set.