Ultimate custom alloy wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wintershade

by wintershade

Hi all --

I would like input on the "ultimate" custom alloy wheelset. Priorities are weight, stability in cross winds, beauty, brake performance, beauty, beauty. I'm envisioning something like high-polish H+Sons wheels, Red annonized White Industy Hubs, CX-Ray spokes, with a couple red spokes, etc.

I have a growing set of factory build CC wheels. I want something more 1-of-a-kind feeling. The bike they will be going on (for aesthetics) would be a brushed raw Ti Enigma, a relaxed endurance geometry, rim brake, running Campy Record.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

My ultimate alloy are tubs (perhaps tubeless) in silver (or polished) throughout so that you don't need to guess what materials they are, so my ultimate may involve some customisation and/or elbow grease.
I've heard time and again Hed make the best alloy rims. Why not Campagnolo hubs?
Less is more.

morganb

by morganb

If you want high polish Velocity does a silver Quill that looks super good and will be lighter/have better dimensions than an H+Son.

C36

by C36

I am not seeing a rim more advanced than the new Mavic Open Pro, shame the Exalith version never made it to production.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

If you are looking for polished, selection is limited. This wheelset www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road ... eep-24wide is a special edition (e.g. high-polished) with Kinlin XR31T rims.

If high-polished is not your priority, either AForce AL33 with T11 hub https://novemberbicycles.com/collection ... ts/al33cwi or Boyd Altamont with 85 hubs www.boydcycling.com/shop/road/alloy-cli ... r-wheelset.

Take a look at Dave's blog https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog ... force-al33
Boyd 85 hub doesn't get any better than this www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4yq9RkHFrE :beerchug:
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

the ambrosio p20 is a pretty good alloy rim in silver. Or the velocity quill laced to 1999- 2006 chorus hubs or record hubs.
If you can deal with tubulars then wheelset with the ambrosio nemesis is going to be perfect from a ride feel point of view and looks too. The HED Belgium C" tubular rim is pretty good as well.

Otherwise you could use the hed or easton rims if black rims are prefered. The HED rim has one flaw though. I have a yet to find a tubeless tyre that remoans seated at zero pressure. Therefore this rim is not as tubeless compatible as it should be. HED also do a tubular rim. Carbon Ti dod polished silver hubs in 24F/28R now too. They are fab as as this is weight weenies then these are a good choice.

If you want the perfect hub and do not care aboput weight then try looking at RoyceUK, There mid flange and venus hubs are lovely but there Racing gold or brushed finished carbon supreme carbon shell/Ti flange hubs are utter perfection. http://www.royceuk.co.uk/Racing-Polishe ... -Hubs.html
There standard hubs
http://www.royceuk.co.uk/Road/

My two ultimate alloy wheelset are
1) 28F/28R HED belgium c2 tubular rims , silver CX ray spokes and silver Record hub 1999-2006
2) 20F/24R Pacenti SL23 rims, silver sapim laser/race spokes and Royce Carbon supreme hub with Ti flanges and carbon shell drilled for triplet lacing. These are not the standard carbon supreme hubs so I specified the hub geometry and drilling to Cliff and he made them.

For the one of a kind feeling then I would go for custom Royce hubs. Be prepared to spend though.

wintershade

by wintershade

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:14 am

2) 20F/24R Pacenti SL23 rims, silver sapim laser/race spokes and Royce Carbon supreme hub with Ti flanges and carbon shell drilled for triplet lacing. These are not the standard carbon supreme hubs so I specified the hub geometry and drilling to Cliff and he made them.
I very much like this idea. Very much.
unnamed.png

AndreLM

by AndreLM

HED is selling Belgium tubular rims for $75 at their website

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I'll try and take a good picture of it.

robertbb

by robertbb

bm0p700f wrote:

Otherwise you could use the hed or easton rims if black rims are prefered. The HED rim has one flaw though. I have a yet to find a tubeless tyre that remoans seated at zero pressure. Therefore this rim is not as tubeless compatible as it should be.
Does the same apply to the Eason R90SL?
bm0p700f wrote:

My two ultimate alloy wheelset are
1) 28F/28R HED belgium c2 tubular rims , silver CX ray spokes and silver Record hub 1999-2006
Interesting - why 28/28? - In particular, the extra 4 ( or 8 ) spokes on the front compared to what most would choose...? Is it performance, longevity, aesthetics?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Record hubs if that era only came in 28h, 32h and 36h and 28h is as rare as hens teeth. I scored in a barter for a wheel build.

robertbb

by robertbb

Ahh OK. And how do the R90SL's go with tubeless - same issues as with HED?

ergott

by ergott

C36 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:02 am
I am not seeing a rim more advanced than the new Mavic Open Pro, shame the Exalith version never made it to production.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
An advanced rim doesn't have a max tension of 110kgf.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Mavic's max tensions have always been a bit conservative unless it was the old reflex rim. I have been using 1200N from day one and not one has cracked yet. Its not a pacenti SL23 V1 (I hope).

i think Mavic put a 1000N limit on the old open pro which could hold 1200N without difficulty or cracking.

robertbb

by robertbb

C36 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:02 am
What's so advanced about it? ISM4d? How does that help on the road?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com