Custom aluminum build #3!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

Well…..Tsunami project #3 begins!

Project #1 last spring was a go-fast training & racing machine w/custom geometry. It has met and exceeded all expectations.

Project #2 this winter has been an all-weather, go-fast machine, again w/similar geometry, but with a few twists here & there as you can see. Check that Honjo hammered fender sweetness!

Project #3 will be….an aluminum tandem!

The final product will look very similar to this recent Tsunami build. This frame came in around 7lbs, by the way, which is pretty sweet. We’re working through the specs now for me & my significantly better half, and construction should start hopefully next week.

Ahh, so much to say…but yes, it’s madness. Sheer madness. I can’t get enough of these bikes! Joe at Tsunami Bikes makes an awesome rig. Handbuilt in good ol’ U.S.A. (Arizona). Think globally, buy locally: support your local framebuilder!

Will post pics and other build details as I get ‘em. Hope you enjoy watching the journey as much as I enjoy living it.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

That is awesome! I'm assuming the above pics are what the build might look like, but not your actual frame yet?

Also - mind if I ask about her(?) riding... ? Did you get her into it, or was she a cyclist prior to you two getting together, or what?
I think tandems are one of the best ways two people can both spend time together and get to know each other very well.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

Thanks. Nope, that's not my bike, but it'll look pretty darned close to that.

Wife and I went on vacation recently and we rented a tandem for a couple days. She does not ride on the road whatsoever (we have a road bike set up on a trainer for her, which she'll occasionally use), and it was going to be a big gamble as to whether or not it would work out. We ended up having a GREAT time! The bike was a Cannondale road tandem--heavy and a little flexy (to me), but it worked just fine for our purposes.

Day one was lots of fun and a learning experience for us both (captaining a tandem is a little tricky, but not that hard), and by day two, it was almost like 2nd nature. One thing for sure, when riding a tandem, live the mantra: "The Stoker is Always Right!"

Its a different mentality for riding, that's for sure. Pedal hard or pedal easy, relax & smell the roses, stop frequently. There is no agenda other than simply getting out there.

prendrefeu wrote:That is awesome! I'm assuming the above pics are what the build might look like, but not your actual frame yet?

Also - mind if I ask about her(?) riding... ? Did you get her into it, or was she a cyclist prior to you two getting together, or what?
I think tandems are one of the best ways two people can both spend time together and get to know each other very well.

Wildabeast

by Wildabeast

A Tsunami tandem, sweet. Tandems rock. The only drawback is when you crash, you crash twice as hard. (I learned that one at Interbike 2002 on a Ventana FS tandem. ) My advice, don't crash :smartass: :wink: This will be a cool build.

Will
I can't ride that, I'll break it...

djconnel

by djconnel

Fantastic tandem! I'll be in the market myself, I expect, pending GF recovering from her knee injury, and passing the test ride compatibility test.

How'd you handle the fitting for the tandem? Did Tsunami do it, did you go through a fitter, or did you spec it yourself?

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

thanks for the compliments.

in terms of fitting, tsunami already has all of my contact points from prior bikes, and i gave them same info for my wife. all i do is request (via phone chats & email) what i want to get out of it in terms of the bike's intent, and let him make the decision on how to build it. simple as that!

:thumbup:

djconnel

by djconnel

Nice....What drivetrain are you using?

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

Not sure yet on drivetrain. I've been scouring craigslist & ebay & other forums for DA7803 parts, but they're quite pricey. Not having much luck there.

Tandem parts--phew, that's a whole different world! There's some amazing things out there that address challenging topics in tandem-land.

For cranks, in a perfect world Shimano would make a tandem-specific set of DA 7803 cranks for captain & stoker. I love that shape, and they're plenty light. However, that's not going to be practical (it involves buying various spiders & arms and having custom machining done), so I'm leaning towards DaVinci's (which are beautifully crafted) or something from FSA. The FSA BB's introduce their own set of complications, so I'm learning as much as I can in that regard.

Luckily I've got a month or so to think about it all...

The goal is to be under 30lbs all-in, which I think will be easily achieved. I'm sure I could go much lighter, but for now (esp. since it's going to be our 1st tandem), initial specs are solid. Plenty of wiggle room to improve as time moves on.

djconnel

by djconnel

Since I have a religious thing against triples, I'm thinking 38-52 with 11-32 X0 cassette in back, Apex rear derailleur with Rival group. Then there's the option of moving the front to 34-50 for especially hilly rides. But the triple really does open up the range nicely. Also I'm thinking a belt-drive timing chain, since it's cleaner. But all of this isn't going to be for awhile....

Good luck!

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

yes i considered a double...but i'm too lazy to do gear ratio math under a variety of scenarios. besides, all i know is that a 12-25 cassette with a granny inner chainring will get us up just about anything that we'll realistically be riding most of the time. if i think we'll really need it for some reason, i'll put on a different cassette. won't know, realistically, till we get out there and see what works & what doesn't.

belt drive is slick, yes. i'll be going with regular chain though for now.

djconnel wrote:Since I have a religious thing against triples, I'm thinking 38-52 with 11-32 X0 cassette in back, Apex rear derailleur with Rival group. Then there's the option of moving the front to 34-50 for especially hilly rides. But the triple really does open up the range nicely. Also I'm thinking a belt-drive timing chain, since it's cleaner. But all of this isn't going to be for awhile....

Good luck!

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

Geometry is all set:
Frame material: butted, shaped, etc. aluminum
BB drop: 6.0cm
TT diameter: 44mm
Boom diameter: 55mm
HTL: 150mm
HTA: 73 deg.
Captain STL: 45cm
Captain STA: 73deg.
Captain TTL: 54.5cm
Stoker STL: 35cm
Stoker STA: 74deg.
Stoker TTL: 70.5cm
Chainstay: 42cm
Rear spacing will be 135mm
Frame will have rear disc mount. Might use it, might not--but I like having the option.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

This is going to be fantastic!

My better half better not see this thread though, as she might very well forego a certain ring in favour of a tandem. She's that keen on us getting one :shock:

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

And that mantra cracks me up :lol:

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

A tandem’s life begins!

The top tube shown in the photos is only a utility piece (a placeholder). The frame will have a one piece top tube going from head tube to rear seat post, which gets installed when both front and rear sections are ready.

Enjoy….

Tallboy

by Tallboy

nice- so the top tube is cut out to slot over the seat tubes? very cool detail!
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

i honestly don't know, it's hard to tell how the black tandem bike pictured above is assembled.

that red & yellow tube is just a dummy piece (a tool, basically) to hold things in place. hard to tell from photos if the head/down tubes & bb shell are tack welded, but my guess is they probably are.

it's fun to see things come together in step-by-step. i could watch this stuff all day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com