Trek 5200 refinish.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Well you guys saw my Cervelo S2, but here is another project I am working on. Inspired by others on this board I decided to strip all the aging paint off of my 2001 Trek 5200. I've been using the razor technique, and it has been working quite well. This was my first real road bike, and I use it for training, bad weather rides, and crit races. The white paint gets dirty way too fast for the ocd in me, so I decided it was time for a change.

This is when I first got it, and started cutting weight. I installed a KCNC RD1 crankset, KCNC post, carbon bottle cages, Syntace F119, and Racelite Carbon Bars.

Then this was the last pic I have it from this year.

I had changed pretty much everything on this bike since I have taken ownership of it. I've been through a lot on this bike. Raced my first race on it, rode my first century, it's been a great bike. I almost sold it a few times, but I decided to keep it, and redo it. I do still own the original Rolf wheels however, and it usually rolls on those. In the above pic it is on my Spinergy Stealth FCC wheels, that I use when I race crits. Here is the current state as I am roughly about 50% through striping the paint.

I hope to finish it in the coming weeks, and clearcoat the raw carbon. From there I'll just do one simple Trek decal on each side of the downtube, in matte black. Also I don't have that Red crankset anymore. I have converted to compact, and I now use a Force compact crankset on it, and I also have a new 2011 Force RD on it now too. I am also undecided which bars will go back on it. The Syntace bars in the first pic are great, and light at 191g, but I just got new bars for the S2, so I might transfer the K-Wings over. I really love the compact shape of them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ElChorizon

by ElChorizon

Looks great :thumbup: Make sure to post pix of the finished product.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

ElChorizon wrote:Looks great :thumbup: Make sure to post pix of the finished product.

Thank you. I forgot the weight too. I forget exactly, but I had it somewhere just over 16lbs with those clinchers. When I started out it was 19.1lbs, so that is pretty good for a backup bike. If I put my tubies on, I could get it down in the 14lbs(sub 6800g) range.

teddfox

by teddfox

This is AWESOME. I JUST bought a 5500 frame and want to do the same thing! I am anxious to see how you stripped the paint.
Trek 5500
Kestrel 200SC
BP Stealth AL-7005

Oberon

by Oberon

I am sure the finished product will look great but I really like the look of the bike in your second photo (Spinergy wheels).

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

The paint has been stripped so far using a razor blade. The razor method is much faster, and easier than sanding. I will then lightly sand with 600 grit before applying clear.

Thanks for the comment on the appearance in that second pic. I did love the way that bike looked, but I just hate how white bikes always look dirty.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I got some more work done on the frame. It is down to 1150g now.

djay001

by djay001

hi,

I'm also planning on stripping of my trek 5200, but mine is from 1998, with old headset.
Is the razor blade method easy to do? From now i have checked lot of different paint strip, and i was going to do the classic hand sanding method. I'm a bit afraid by the razor, i don't want to damage the frame...

i will check futher for your result

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

djay001 wrote:hi,

I'm also planning on stripping of my trek 5200, but mine is from 1998, with old headset.
Is the razor blade method easy to do? From now i have checked lot of different paint strip, and i was going to do the classic hand sanding method. I'm a bit afraid by the razor, i don't want to damage the frame...

i will check futher for your result

I wouldn't say it is easy, but it is faster, and easier than sanding. I started by hand sanding, and it sucked. I was afraid of the razor at first too. The carbon is a hard surface. The paint comes right off using the razor. I am a bit closer to being finished. I shall work on it even more tomorrow. I really need to get this wrapped up soon. Crit season waits for no one.

TerribleCadence

by TerribleCadence

Any progress? Can't wait to see what it looks like when finished.
FELT AR0 Now sold.
CAAD10 Force 22, Quarq, Ksyrium SLR
LOOK 695 Light, Force22, Zipp 303.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

TerribleCadence wrote:Any progress? Can't wait to see what it looks like when finished.

Thanks for your interest. I haven't worked on it a whole lot in the past few weeks. Other things came up and I kinda put this on the back burner. I do need to get my butt in gear and get it done. I hope to have some good progress very soon.

dcj9

by dcj9

try and find the momentum to get it done. here's a picture taken this morning of my 2011 project.
3 weeks of misery wet sanding is something i will be glad not to repeat but the quality of carbon on a 5200 is worth unearthing.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I have far too many little projects going on right now. I hope to get back on the Trek soon. Your bike was a great inspiration for this project. I ordered the Spray Max 2k Clear today. I will pick it up tomorrow. Now I just need to finish this stripping. Which as you know is a mundane, boring job.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Damn it looks good!!!
Conty "Giro" tubs, right?

dcj9

by dcj9

Conty "Giro" tubs, right?

thanks Majklnajt, yes they are conti giro's on record hubs/mavic CD rims.

I ordered the Spray Max 2k Clear today. I will pick it up tomorrow. Now I just need to finish this stripping. Which as you know is a mundane, boring job.

actually prof, i cheated by sending the fully-stripped & prepped frame away for the lacquer to Argos.
it was the middle of winter in UK and i did not have a suitable 'above 20 degree C' dust-free place to do my own lacquer.

Please do keep posting developments :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com