2011 Cervelo S2 aero and 13lbs(5900g) dead new pics page:20

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

BmanX

by BmanX

I have a medium on my bike as well and have cut off 3" off the bottom and still have enough room to meet min insertion. I guess I would need to see a pic of the post and can measure my post when i get home tonight.

I am not sure how the post I bought was made so I am not sure how little you can cut off the top.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

ProfessorChaos wrote:
I am sure I can handle it. I figure I can make that one less thing you'll have to figure out. I'll cut both the tops so that the top will be level, so all you will have to do is attach the saddle, and supports. I'm guessing you will probably re-clear the finished post I assume? I hope so for the one I got was used, and some of the clear was damaged, and it needs redone anyway. I have the day off today, I'll take pics of both posts. I'd like to cut them at some point today as well.

Sure, I'll have to re-clear it, also if it's new, so no problem about that :thumbup:

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Berk wrote:
Sure, I'll have to re-clear it, also if it's new, so no problem about that :thumbup:

I figured as much. Okay, so I took a few quick pics just now.

Both posts. Mine on top BMANX on bottom.
The top of the insert in my 2 position post. I am going to try and cut some of that out with the dremel, and other various tools. Also notice the bolt hole in the back of it. Hopefully we can cover that up when we put the supports on, Jure? Also the Cervelo logo can go if you wish. If all it said was "Berk" I'd be happy. :)
This is my post held up next to my post on my bike. This is at minimum insertion, so I have just enough post for this to work. I have to make sure I trim correctly.
BMANX on scale after hardware removed.
Mine on scale after hardware removed.

BmanX

by BmanX

I am wondering if we should cut my post right at the seam of the carbon and aluminum head and leave the rest in there. I am not sure what type of adhesive they would have used to bond the aluminum head to the carbon post but maybe Jure could sort that out for us.

I would be interested in seeing how much the post weighs with the aluminum cut off the top.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

BmanX wrote:I am wondering if we should cut my post right at the seam of the carbon and aluminum head and leave the rest in there. I am not sure what type of adhesive they would have used to bond the aluminum head to the carbon post but maybe Jure could sort that out for us.

I would be interested in seeing how much the post weighs with the aluminum cut off the top.

I bet there is probably around 15-20g of aluminum on top of yours. I am going to leave most of the aluminum in mine. I doubt I will be able to get all of it out.

BmanX

by BmanX

Seems like a good plan. I would be more than fine if you cut the head off right at the joint and left the rest in.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Well, I cut BMANX's post top off today, and I used the die grinder on mine and removed much of the aluminum insert on mine. BMANX thinks it's a good idea to leave the STA cut at the top to Jure. I am going to have to agree with that. I got my post down to 113g, and BMANX your post is 102g now. I cut your post right at the seam. The cool thing with your post is the same size throughout you could flip your post upside down, and have Jure make the top the bottom. That way if you had the room you could cut it down more, and make it lighter. This isn't possible with my two position post. It tapers at the top a bit. which I think might actually make it look a little cooler at the top. I'll try to get them out Monday on my lunch break, or Wednesday or my day off at the latest.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Here are some pics of the cut down and ground out posts.

BMANX
Mine
Both of the tops of the posts. Notice how much my two position tapers at the top. Kinda weird Cervelo did that. It might make it slightly heavier, and less aero, but I think it will make the finished product look a little bit cooler. That's not at all why I bought this post. I got it because it was cheap, and just barely long enough for the project. I can't wait to get the finished product back. This is going to be awesome.

BmanX

by BmanX

Thank you for looking after this for me. Well done! I think your idea of having Jure flip my post is a great idea and thanks for coming up with that. I see that I can still grind out the post to remove more weight and it looks like I could get the post under 100g. I think it would be amazing if we can both get our combo post/saddles under the original weight of just the post. I think my post stock was ~180g so if Jure can get the post/saddle built for 150g - 160g I would be over the moon. Not sure it is possible but lets hope for the best.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

BmanX wrote:Thank you for looking after this for me. Well done! I think your idea of having Jure flip my post is a great idea and thanks for coming up with that. I see that I can still grind out the post to remove more weight and it looks like I could get the post under 100g. I think it would be amazing if we can both get our combo post/saddles under the original weight of just the post. I think my post stock was ~180g so if Jure can get the post/saddle built for 150g - 160g I would be over the moon. Not sure it is possible but lets hope for the best.

Your new post was 189g before I took the hardware off. No problem for the cutting. I was curious to see what it looked like anyway, and I had the air saw at my disposal. Speaking of which do you want me to send the hardware to you? I am sure you could cut it under 100g. I bet you could cut another inch off. Judging that my post is 2" longer than your post, and I was at min insertion. If you cut 3" off there is still another 1" you should be able to cut off, and still be at min insertion. I'll leave that up to you however. I don't want to cut it too short. I am guessing mine will be around 160-170g. That would be phenomenal. Your post will be about 10g lighter than mine. I am going on a diet now, so I'll be able to appreciate this even more.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

The posts are headed your way Jure. Shipped them out today. Let us know when you get them.

BmanX

by BmanX

Damn I better get measuring my saddle position in regards to offset and of course STA. The frame is 73 degrees STA right?
BIG DADDY B FLOW

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

BmanX wrote:Damn I better get measuring my saddle position in regards to offset and of course STA. The frame is 73 degrees STA right?

I've got an angle gauge at my shop. I'll see if I can locate it, and get an exact measurement.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Ok, I'll let you know for sure! Till then try to provide me all the details that I'll need (angle and offset), if it's level then I need only the frame geometry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I am 99% sure that the geometry of the S-series bikes have always been 73 degrees in the back position and 76 degrees in the forward position. Everything that I can find online supports this.

I am thinking however that I would the saddle dead smack neutral as this is the way that I currently have my saddle set up. Since the post is a bit offset I sent to position the saddle so the the middle of the saddle is in the middle of the post.

BIG DADDY B FLOW