Cannondale Evo 63cm - Final Build Photos

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 2002

You should have gone with a 3t ergosum ltd handlebar. Very nice build nonetheless.

fastrow23

by fastrow23

2002 wrote:You should have gone with a 3t ergosum ltd handlebar. Very nice build nonetheless.

I have a new stem on the way to help tie everything together.

toosahn

by toosahn

Love the pictures with the scale. 63cm is my size!!!

fastrow23

by fastrow23

The new stem is here. It's a Zipp SL Speed stem 110mm in length. This will be the last thing I do to this bike for a while, although I am toying with the idea of trying Nokon housing.

fastrow23

by fastrow23

The Zipp SL Speed stem is going back. After setting it up last night, setting everything up exactly as the directions said and double checking everything I went for a ride this morning and my bars were slipping all over the place. Going back to the 3T Team stem. Minimal weight penalty but I'll actually be able to ride confidently. What a disappointment.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Did you try any carbon assembly paste? That adds a lot of friction to stem clamps/seat post etc...

fastrow23

by fastrow23

crohnsy wrote:Did you try any carbon assembly paste? That adds a lot of friction to stem clamps/seat post etc...

Yup, I torqued everything correctly and used friction paste. Just didn't hold well. I don't mind too much having to go back to the 3T alloy stem. I wonder if the Zipp SL Speed didn't work well because it has only two faceplate bolts. Maybe 3T LTD stem will work nicely since it has 4 bolts. Maybe it was the carbon on carbon interface that didn't hold well.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

That's interesting about your bad luck with the Zipp stem slipping. I know you may be gunshy now about Zipp stems, but I have used the Service Course SL for a year now and it is rock solid. The glossy finish and graphics would look great with your bike.

Mine is 11 cm and weighs 122 grams, which is pretty good - only 8g more than the SL speed you had.

Boy - dollars per gram isn't so great on that SL speed - using MSRP prices: ($325 - $109) / (122g - 114g) = $27/gram

mattlawro

by mattlawro

Zipp also did the sl service in a stealth black on black.
I used one last year with no slip issues ( but there are 4 bolts)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

fastrow23 wrote:
crohnsy wrote:Did you try any carbon assembly paste? That adds a lot of friction to stem clamps/seat post etc...

Yup, I torqued everything correctly and used friction paste. Just didn't hold well. I don't mind too much having to go back to the 3T alloy stem. I wonder if the Zipp SL Speed didn't work well because it has only two faceplate bolts. Maybe 3T LTD stem will work nicely since it has 4 bolts. Maybe it was the carbon on carbon interface that didn't hold well.

what torque did you go to?

fastrow23

by fastrow23

thisisatest wrote:what torque did you go to?

8Nm

tallmtnbiker

by tallmtnbiker

I'm new on this site. But as a tall rider (6'4" with 37" inseam), I'm interested in any bike this big. I am now riding a 2009 XXXL Focus Izalco Extreme Pro. With the factory set up of full Campy Record and Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR rims and Dura Ace pedals and bottle cages, it weighs 16 pounds 10 ounces. Even a "standard" Cannondale Super Six EVO 2 Red would seem to be two pounds lighter than my Focus and this sweet bike is an amazing four pounds lighter. The wheels and tire package must save almost two pounds alone from my Mavics with Continental 4000's with tubes.

Do I dare ask how this bike rides? :D Big bikes can be a handful on steep, winding and bumpy descents.

Thanks and nice job. :thumbup:

Doug in San Diego

notsoswift

by notsoswift

tallmtnbiker wrote:Do I dare ask how this bike rides? :D Big bikes can be a handful on steep, winding and bumpy descents.

Thanks and nice job. :thumbup:

Doug in San Diego

Doug I am almost identical dimensions to you (little taller, same inseam) and I find big bikes actually absorb the bumps better, which assists your speed down hill.
More material isolates the chatter better
The long wheel base: while it makes the slower to turn it make it more stable, which is more important
Steep, well that is all about balls

I have a Look and a custom steel on the way, no way near as stiff as the 'dale

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

That's one good looking bike, especially for someone that tall! :thumbup: The DLC chain also really makes a big difference and I'm tempted to go that way myself. Any pic with the new stem?
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira