CAAD3 Strip Show

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jimonabike

by jimonabike

Started a little summer project with one of the two Cannondale CAAD 3 R600 frames i had lying around.
Wont be overly weight weenie until i get some more coin to replace the alloy forks,

would appreciate suggestions and advice regarding painting techniques, designs and components.
Dont have much (any) experience painting aluminium, but my aunty owns an auto paint shop so airbrushes and paint/primers shouldn't be too hard to get.
Original Colour Maroon,
1/2 Nude
Stipped frame with alloy forks (original paint) and 2nd caad3 frame
Stem Before
Frame, Stem, and fork Stripped
Might be a week or two before my next update, (exam time :( )
Nude frame weight coming soon
Last edited by jimonabike on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Are you sure the CAAD3 has an 1 1/8 head tube to fit the Funda forks? I know early 3's had 1inch head tubes, maybe later ones area different? Don't think Funda's are available in 1inch steerers? Maybe look out for some Easton EC90's, they can be had in 1inch.
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

jimonabike

by jimonabike

touche...
may need to rethink that one. oops

Krull

by Krull

nice project-i once had a caad 4 (1 1/8 headtube), which i caused getting silver-eloxated. weight of the eloxated naked frame has been 1198 gramm in size 56, exactly 100 gramm less than in painted condition.

the caad 3 has a 1 inch-headtube. the 2001-caad4 was the first cannondale-frame with 1 1/8-headtube.

fastrow23

by fastrow23

Leave it unpainted. The stripped version looks great!

jimonabike

by jimonabike

fastrow23 wrote:Leave it unpainted. The stripped version looks great!

I must admit i am tempted but i may have lined up a 1 inch steerer carbon fork from a local club rider who takes weight weenie'ism to the extreme i should almost steal some pics of his bikes and dedicate an post to him. (1x4.7kg parlee, 1x5.3kg parlee, 1x4.3kg axlightness, soloist slc sl <6kgs, R3 sl <6kg, Cannondale supersix, and 15 sets of tubs lightweight/enve/zipp)

mrfish

by mrfish

You need to polish it or brush it, then clear coat it. Otherwise it will get oxidised and dull.

jimonabike

by jimonabike

Apologies for the lack of updates, started priming and painting the frame as of yesterday.
im still somewhat undecided as to what colours and design id like to do so suggestions welcomed. although im a big fan of Baum's paint schemes.

steps so far have been:
1) stripping the original paint various methods inc, sanding, wire brush, scraping etc...
2) washing the frame with metho, to remove any dirt grease dust etc
3) etch priming the frame fork and stem
4) spraying a white base coat.

etch primed, and painted white

i also had a play with using contact to cut out logos to then stick on the frame as stencils (to be removed after other colours are sprayed over the top), not overly high tech but yielded reasonable results.

have taken more photos of the process and may upload some more as i progress further.
cheers james

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Nice project. Keep up the good work as this is passion for something different.

If you can get the paint work to look like the Baum then I'll ask you to paint my frame just the same!

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

solarider

by solarider

Nice job. I agree with your move to paint rather than keep bare. Already looks slick just with the white undercoat!

Couldn't help but notice. Have you kept the crown race on those forks for painting or is that just an accumulation of masking tape?

jimonabike

by jimonabike

i left the crown race on however cleaned and masked the topside of it to prevent it getting painted.

solarider

by solarider

Might be better to remove it for the final paint. Otherwise, if you ever need to change it, you will be left with an unfinished top to your forks underneath the race.

Good luck with the final colour.

jimonabike

by jimonabike

Visited my aunt's auto paint shop this afternoon, and was advised against attempting a chromed gold finish which i had been toying with.
so ended up getting a lime green, and a dark metallic grey which should hopefully be light enough to get some contrast with the gloss black
Last edited by jimonabike on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Do it...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimonabike

by jimonabike

whats the general consensus regarding headbadges, painted or badge?

the aim for today is to cut the decal stencils, another few coats of white wet-sanded, stick the decal stencils on and paint over with green on the underside of the down tube and a few other bits.