Wooden RENOVO R1 road bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jooo

by jooo

Yeah, just like I mentioned earlier in the thread that profile is really common on 'tubeless' MTB rims. There really aren't any issues using it provided you stick to reasonable tyre pressure for the size you use. I'm sure plenty of people have run quite high pressures on the wooden rims with carbon reinforcement. Have you heard from anyone else with experiences using the rims?

Arky

by Arky

"These aren't the tires you're looking for."

"Not as clumsy as a continintal. An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

@jooo: I read your post on nearly hookless tubeless rims, but I was not aware that you were referring to rims with no hooks at all.

@Arky: Yes I know I need tan side wall tires :wink: . If only Conti GP4000 S tires were not so damn good. Here is an example of my rim colour with tan side wall tires (from the Cycling Tips blog:

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

that is much much better!

it looks a bit "cheap" with black tires

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

As promised here are some better pictures of the wheels. I also got a chance to weigh the wheels. The front came in at 924 grams and the rear at 1115 grams, both with rim tape. Pretty much what I had expected.

kgt

by kgt

No Continental please. These rims need only Vittoria, Veloflex, Challenge, or any other proper tire. :smartass:

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Here are some pictures of the finished saddle. I haven't seen the thing myself yet, but I sure am looking forward to seeing it in person.

Last edited by Fatbiker on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcello

by marcello

Wow! Thats a awesome saddle :thumbup:

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

wow it is really nice and special :)

bencolem

by bencolem

I actually like the look of those conti's on the rims...

astranoc

by astranoc

Can't wait to see it all together, really awesome project.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

A couple of days back I came across this beauty. It's a 1937 wooden track bike! As you can imagine it was quite flexible.

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

ohh this is a cool one. okej maybe not that good but who cares about that when it looks that cool :D

i would like to get a wooden bike as well. thinkink of buying the brooklyn rims for my bike as an extra sunday wheelset.

when is your bike ready?

sachs dreigang

by sachs dreigang

any news ?

s3g

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

First of all my apologizes for this late response. I have been very busy the last couple of weeks.

I decided to buy an Acorn Roll Bag seat bag to go with the Brooks saddle. Acorn does not sell or ship outside the US, but luckily Rob from English Cycles was kind enough to offer me to ship the bag to me, together with the frame and the fork. The only down side is that Acorn does not produce their next batch of Roll bags until the middle of February. Rob should have the fork/stem finished by then, so I should have all the parts to build the bike available at the end of February.

In the meantime I was not able resist to give the wheels a try, so I fitted my trusty Duell steel winter bike with cork brake pads, so I could use it with the DA Ghisallo wooden wheels. The first ride was at the Belgium Ardennes this weekend. The temperature was 1 degree above zero (Celsius), so not really comfortable in my opinion. That is why the ride did not last any longer than 15km. My first impression of the wheels:

SWEET! If you like stiff responsive wheels, then Ghisallo wooden rims are not what you are looking for. If you like ultra smooth and great looking wheels, then you need to get some Ghisallo rims! The dampening effect of the rims is really nice: you see a bad patch of tarmac, you hear a bad patch of tarmac, but... you don't feel a patch a bad patch of tarmac. In the first kilometres I rode some gravel roads, climbs and bad tarmac and the effect was noticeable everywhere. Don't expect something like a suspension rim, but more like the difference you would normally notice between a carbon and a steel frame.

Despite the dampening effect of the rim and the low spoke tension, I was unable to rub the rims against the brake pads. Braking performance was very poor to say the least at fist. However, after only 5km braking performance increased dramatically. With the cork pads, the braking performance is now similar to that of most carbon wheels. I will be changing the pads to SwissStop yellow in the coming week, so I am expecting a significant improvement there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com