Chinese FM028 - UPDATES PAGE 3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

xrider

by xrider

Hi philhul,

Mind me asking, what size is the seatpost and the seat clamp?
I'm planning to build similar frame but different parts.

Thanks in advance. :)

denzity

by denzity

Did you get the wheels pre-built, and if so how true are they? They look quite nice and I've been wanting to pull the trigger for a while now but I've heard that they sometimes aren't very true out of the box.

Looking very nice so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

philhul

by philhul

The seat post is 31.6mm and the clamp 34.9mm.

The wheels were perfect of the box. Done 110 miles on them in the last week and I think the front one is now slightly out but like you I've heard that they can need some initial attention.

JAHLIVE4EVER

by JAHLIVE4EVER

Did you pay thru paypal but with an e-bay account invoice? Since they are not listing any clincher in their e-bay store. Any recent feed backs on the carbon wheels? :D

philhul

by philhul

Yes I sent a paypal payment and just went on trust really. No problems. I've never seen any clinchers on his ebay listings. Not sure why, they would be very popular I think.

The wheels are great, I really can't fault them. Stiff, light and I feel quicker with them over standard rim depth aluminium clinchers.

philhul

by philhul

Here's another pic taken in Northumberland.

I'll take some more, better pictures soon. I've now finished the positioning with the saddle higher and I've taken out all of the spacers. I've also got my eye on an EC90 setback seatpost which should improve hopefully improve the looks and drop over 50g.

I bought a hanging scale from ebay and it is currently 7.56kg.

owl

by owl

I think that looks the dogs. I would be tempted with sa new ultimate seatpost - light and available in setback and zero setback.

What did you pay for the frame/forks?
Owl

philhul

by philhul

Frame and forks were £350 inc. delivery.

New Ultimate seatpost would be great but the Easton one I've seen is quite a lot cheaper

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Lovely! Looks a muscular machine! Let us know how those wheels do in the long-term.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Phil , i am just about to pull the trigger on the fm28. A few questions if I can? How much did you pay for the frame and forks? DId you order hangers and headset from carbonzone too? Any import duties to pay? it looks SWEET! cheers Martin - aka monkeyboy3333

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

sorry phil, just saw previous post on price - my other q's still stand though! cheers mate

philhul

by philhul

monkeyboy3333 - thanks for the compliment! The frame came with rear mech hanger included anyway, I didn't think to ask. I did also buy the headset from carbonzone. It was about $15 and well worth buying as I think people are finding it difficult over here to find one the same size. The frame and fork slipped through customs ok, as did the wheels which I bought about a month earlier, also from carbonzone.

liam7020

by liam7020

philhul wrote:Yes I sent a paypal payment and just went on trust really. No problems. I've never seen any clinchers on his ebay listings. Not sure why, they would be very popular I think.

The wheels are great, I really can't fault them. Stiff, light and I feel quicker with them over standard rim depth aluminium clinchers.

I have a pair of their 38mm tub wheels - no issues so far and fantastic value for money. I did originally ask them about clinchers and was told that they would supply them but there would be no warranty which I thought was fairly honest and upfront
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

philhul

by philhul

I now have the new seat post fitted and have had the steerer tube cut down. As result it's down to 7.45kg.

I will definitely take some better pics within the next week with a dslr then won't post again until I've got it under 6.8kg!!

I won't be able to get all of the way there without changing the wheels but I love them so much I want to get as far as I can on other components. My ideas are as follows, any suggestions please let me know.

Zipp Carbon SL bars - 70 odd loss I think.
Tune the seat post - 184g currently
I-links and I-links minis when my current cables wear out. Not sure what this will save as didn't keep the bits I didn't use from the SRAM kit to weigh.
Sram Red rear derailleur tuned.
Lighter saddle. This is the most comfortable one I've ever had so will have to be similar shape. Not really investigated yet. Could lose nearly 100g.
Extralite stem - save about 40g.
Couple of other things like carbon top cap and Ti bolt, carbon front derailleur clamp, lighter seat post collar. Small gains.

EDIT. Posted the wrong pic last night. Correct one above now
Last edited by philhul on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alfredox5

by alfredox5

Great looking bike! Where did you buy the frame? Been thinking about building one of those frames as an extra bike since I have a bunch of parts laying around. Very sweet looking I think! Good job on the build! :thumbup: