Litespeed Ghisallo 5.82kg/12.83lbs w/ Quarq and Di2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

NorthWestDork

by NorthWestDork

Finally something I can bring myself to post. Some of you may remember my fleeting start as a sketchy 11lb single speed seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77986

After selling off a collection of bikes and consolidating most of my spare parts Ive finally summed everything up into a neat 12.83lb package. Eventually I want to make it to sub-12lbs, which means I have to lose about 380 grams. I think I can do it if I change to SRAM Red with BTP parts and a handbuilt AX Lightness SRT24 wheelset, but for now, Ill finish off the summer riding Di2. Anyways, enough typing, here are some pictures.

Size small I believe. 53.5cm effective TT.

902 Grams. Not too bad considering its a titanium frameset. Though the seller I bought it from has a Lynskey signed certificate certifying this frames weight as 888 grams, oh well, maybe theres dirt and oil inside the tubes.

Surprisingly light. Though maybe thats because the Ghisallo head tube is so short. Was thinking about a Edge 1.0 fork, but for now Ill stick with this guy.

666 grams, how apt. Total weight including BB, extralite bolts, Fibrelyte 53/39 chainrings. Though a little bummed this is 40 grams heavier than what CyclingTechnology posted on their blog. The only difference is I went with non-ceramic bearings.

Still debating on how flexible I am. The Ghisallo headtube is about 9.5cm, so still debating if my back and gut can take this low of a bar height. 5.82kg as seen including Garmin Edge 500 computer weight.

Ti spindles on zeros. About 165 grams as seen, still waiting on some alloy bowties. And the Quarq powermeter has been awesome, super easy to use with my Garmin Edge 500

6.5 Gram BTP bottle cages. With included bolts theyre 9 grams per set. Holds Specialized bottles well with no problems at all.

SLR Carbonio saddle, 125g printed on its side, real weight is 139 grams... 27.2x250mm M2 Racer Alloy seatpost, weighs 93 grams on my scale and snagged it for a little over $100 on ebay. Saved 90 grams over my 3T LTD seatpost.

Zero Gravity Ti brakes. Can see/feel them flex under hard braking, but nothing that makes me worry. I think some people just scare easier than others. 23c Vittoria tires for comfort, though I could probably save 50-100 grams if I went with Vittoria TT/crono tires.

86 gram Recon 11-23 alloy cassette + 4 gram Recon lockring.

Ghetto zip tie placement under the down tube. Havent charged the Di2 battery in almost a year and still has more than 50% charge.

Di2, shifts are amazing and effortless. Debating really hard if its worth to give up to get under 12lbs.

Overall very happy with the bike. I can probably lose 10 grams with Veloflyte carbon barend plugs, 15-20 grams with BTP clamps, 10-15 grams with Parlee FD clamp, 10-20 grams with alloy bowties, 50 grams with a Speedneedle saddle blah blah blah. And if I can convince myself, I can lose another 150 grams with a 900 gram wheelset, and another 250-300 grams on a BTP tuned SRAM Red shifters/fd/rd/ilinks. And some point I may just give up on the Ti frame and go carbon. An older Scott Addict or 2008 R3SL is very tempting.

Hrm... and I almost forgot, here is a build list.

Litespeed Ghisallo 902 g
EC90 SLX 277 g
Extralite seat collar 12 g
Extralite headset 66 g
Tune Gum Gum 10 g
M2 Racer 27.2 93 g
Extralite 12cm stem 93 g
3T Ergosum LTD 40cm 187 g
Reynolds MV32T 1044 g w/tires mounted 1580 g
Tune DC14 skewers 34 g
Quarq Lightning crankset 666 g
Zero Gravity Ti brakes 189 g
Recon 11-23 + lockring 90 g
BTP cages x 2 18 g
SLR Carbonio 139 g
Speedplay Zero w/ Ti spindles 165 g

by Weenie

skouri1

by skouri1

Perhaps the certified weight was pre-decal I bet that could add up to 20grams or so.

How's this thing ride? Why bother with the addict--for more stiffness, or just for a change?

NorthWestDork

by NorthWestDork

skouri1 wrote:Perhaps the certified weight was pre-decal I bet that could add up to 20grams or so.

How's this thing ride? Why bother with the addict--for more stiffness, or just for a change?

The ride is pretty comfy. Between the Ti frame and the 23c tires I can ride this all day long. Though, my back is pretty flat when Im in the drops. Actually, far enough down that the flexibility in my neck has a hard time looking up enough to see down the road. An Addict or R3SL will give me a easier position with the taller head tube while being stiffer and possibly a bit lighter. Would also probably allow me to cut the seat post down to save even more weight. Though I have to say, the biggest plus about the Ghisallo frame is that I dont have to baby it. I can accidentally bump it with my cleat, lean it against a pole without the fear of denting or scratching paint off.

Though Im seriously debating if I should take some tax return money and sell some camera gear to buy a Guru Photon. My other bike in my stable is a custom 19lb Guru Track bike that I do all my racing on and it would be nice to have a matching stable.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

How do you find the shifting of the front? Have you tried di2 with a dura-ace 7900 series crankset for comparison?

NorthWestDork

by NorthWestDork

jdc5r wrote:How do you find the shifting of the front? Have you tried di2 with a dura-ace 7900 series crankset for comparison?

I find the front shifting awesome with the Di2 and fibre-lyte rings. I did originally have all these parts on a Colnago Extreme Power with a 7900 crankset and Dura Ace 11-27. With the 7900 crankset and chainrings I could cross chain in 53-27 and 39-11 no problems. Currently with the fibre-lyte rings, if I try to cross chain 53-23 I can feel the chain wanting to fall off the large ring. At 39-11 I can feel the chain wanting to catch and hop up the pins/ramps onto the 53 ring. Of course these are both at the extremes and shouldnt be done normally, so Ive never had a problem with them.

The best part of Di2 front shifting is never having to ease up off the pedals. I had Rival, Chorus 11, and SR11 in the past, and each of those I would have to ease up just a tiny bit to shift up. Also, the very very short throw of Di2 is really nice.

The only shifting problems Ive noticed was the Recon cassette in the rear. Around the 4th/5th smallest cogs, theres some hesitation when shifting both ways maybe 30% of the time. Itll make a clicking noise like its trying to catch, though at least it doesnt slip. I just have to shift one cog extra past where I want to go then one back (2 steps forward 1 step back basically). With the Di2 its just a few mouse clicks.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Thanks for the great reply

only reason why i ask is im running the di2 too. I used to run rotor q rings but found the rings not stiff enough for the di2 front mech. The di2 front mech really puts quite a bit of leverage into the chainrings.

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's good.

marcusp

by marcusp

That's a really nice bike. Nicely balanced with nice part choices all the way down. The 32mm rim depth looks great with the frame.
I'd personally lose the Lightening logo but other than that it's sweet.
If you're happy with the ride I'd stick with the Ti frame. Ride quality is far more important than the final 100g, even if this is WW!
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
Josh Billings

Montana

by Montana

NorthWestDork

Very nice bike! Unless I am mistaken I believe your seatpost is backwards :wink:

micky

by micky

Thats a serious build!
Compliments!

NorthWestDork

by NorthWestDork

Montana wrote:NorthWestDork

Very nice bike! Unless I am mistaken I believe your seatpost is backwards :wink:

Ah crap, youre absolutely right. At first glance the post looked symmetrical front and back. Now that I look closer there is a very slight difference of a few mm's. I did the same damn thing with my 3T seatpost...

Adri

by Adri

Seriously light Litespeed. Congrats on a super build :thumbup:
Auribus teneo lupum

funhog1

by funhog1

Whoa! Amazing! :up:

I look forward to more.
Buy it. & Ride it.
Only if it has a high margin of utility.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

NorthWestDork wrote:And some point I may just give up on the Ti frame and go carbon. An older Scott Addict or 2008 R3SL is very tempting.

You should totally give up on the Ti frame, carbon is way better. Email me when you do. I take that ghisallo off your hands. andrew@voodoojar.com

by Weenie

j_gantzer
in the industry

by j_gantzer

do a calfee battery and internal routing. huge weight saving potential