The Canyon love thread

Moderator: Moderator Team

FrankG

by FrankG

Just a little user review after 6 months and nearly 5000 km's of riding my Aeroad CF SLX

The good -
It still puts a smile on my face :D .
Very comfortable bike on 100 km+ rides (glad I went with the L instead of the M + 25 mm tyres, and the narrow seat post all add to give a sweet ride).
Still gets compliments from fellow cyclists.
Dura Ace Di2 all the way (a few teething problems that now seem to be sorted). Added the wireless unit with D-Fly so now I can see what gear I'm in and how much battery life I have via my Garmin 520.
I love the feel of the direct mount brakes in conjunction with the Mavic exalith braking surface, its very reassuring and gives you confidence when late braking etc.
The integrated stem and handlebars are very comfortable even without gloves, I never have any issues with sore hands/wrists.

The not so good -
The original Dura Ace chain was worn after 3400 km's (my previous 7900 DA and KMC chain were good for close to 5000 km's although these were 10 speed). Trying a KMC to see if it improves.
The original Mavic tyres wore after 2000 km's (they were good all rounders but punctured a lot after 1500 km's). I now have the old reliable Conti 4000's ii fitted, 25 mm front and rear.
The Mavic CXR's developed a rattle after about 1200 km's, it turned out to be a internal connector used to join the rim end together for the welding process, I had to pump the cavity with silicon to stop them moving about. Rear wheel first then 800 km's later the front.
The Di2 rear derailleur started to intermittently stop working, turned out that the cables coming from the levers are just long enough to reach the junction box, if the junction box was moved the cable would pop out! The front derailleur had about 10 mm more slack so it was OK. I now just make sure the junction box is pushed up nice and tight in its housing in the internal stem.

I also added some yellow Canyon graphics to match the Mavic logos, but I have since returned back to the stealth look.
The jury is still out on the 52/36 chain-rings, I sometimes feel I could do with a 53 when in the 11 but its not often I hit the speeds that this happens, but I will see when the time comes to replace the worn rings. The only down side to owning a Canyon is the fact that if any component stops working you have to ship everything back to Germany, which equates to your bike being off the road for 4 weeks +, it would be great if they would send a replacement part and then you return the faulty part..........in an ideal world. But thankfully we have You tube and there is always a nice video online giving you a step by step guide on how to address the issue :thumbup:

So I'm very happy with my purchase and would definitely consider buying another Canyon when the time comes.

:D 2017 Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL5
:D 2016 CANYON Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 TEAM KAT

Sold
2013 Specialized Venge S-works (1st Gen)
2010 Trek Madone 4.5
2010 Trek 1.2

Pip

by Pip

My Aeroad
#heartcanyon

by Weenie

junchen

by junchen

Beautiful...

Is that a size xs? What's the weight?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Pip

by Pip

Yeah size XS
eTap
404 firecrest tubular
Veloflex Sprinter
Sram gxp crank
Sram cassette
Sram chain
Xpresso 12 pedals
Canyon aerocockpit garmin mount
One bottle cage

6.5kg

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

FrankG

by FrankG

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk[/quote]

Yeah size XS
eTap
404 firecrest tubular
Veloflex Sprinter
Sram gxp crank
Sram cassette
Sram chain
Xpresso 12 pedals
One bottle cage

6.5kg

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk[/quote]

The smaller frame look so muck better when its a Aeroad. Lovely bike and colour.

Sold
2010 Trek Madone 4.5
2010 Trek 1.2

markusz

by markusz

my Ultimate CF SLX 2016 XL with some Spokesman 50mm carbonal carbon clinchers
:D

anicell

by anicell

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Pip wrote:
junchen wrote:
Pip wrote:My Aeroad
#heartcanyon

Beautiful...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Yeah size XS
eTap
404 firecrest tubular
Veloflex Sprinter
Sram gxp crank
Sram cassette
Sram chain
Xpresso 12 pedals
One bottle cage

6.5kg

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

Hey, nice build! How do you find braking with Dura Ace brakes and eTap levers? I'm kinda thinking about similar build now. And what do you think about the red color scheme? Why did you choose it over black?

robikka

by robikka

to markusz : nice bike what is the tire width?

markusz

by markusz

robikka wrote:to markusz : nice bike what is the tire width?

25mm GP4000's... and id say it might take 28's. I haven't ridden it on those wheels/tyres yet...can't wait for spring!

cnyn

by cnyn

cleaned my "b canyon" these days:

CanyonFan

by CanyonFan

FrankG wrote:Just a little user review after 6 months and nearly 5000 km's of riding my Aeroad CF SLX

The good -
It still puts a smile on my face :D .
Very comfortable bike on 100 km+ rides (glad I went with the L instead of the M + 25 mm tyres, and the narrow seat post all add to give a sweet ride).
Still gets compliments from fellow cyclists.
Dura Ace Di2 all the way (a few teething problems that now seem to be sorted). Added the wireless unit with D-Fly so now I can see what gear I'm in and how much battery life I have via my Garmin 520.
I love the feel of the direct mount brakes in conjunction with the Mavic exalith braking surface, its very reassuring and gives you confidence when late braking etc.
The integrated stem and handlebars are very comfortable even without gloves, I never have any issues with sore hands/wrists.

The not so good -
The original Dura Ace chain was worn after 3400 km's (my previous 7900 DA and KMC chain were good for close to 5000 km's although these were 10 speed). Trying a KMC to see if it improves.
The original Mavic tyres wore after 2000 km's (they were good all rounders but punctured a lot after 1500 km's). I now have the old reliable Conti 4000's ii fitted, 25 mm front and rear.
The Mavic CXR's developed a rattle after about 1200 km's, it turned out to be a internal connector used to join the rim end together for the welding process, I had to pump the cavity with silicon to stop them moving about. Rear wheel first then 800 km's later the front.
The Di2 rear derailleur started to intermittently stop working, turned out that the cables coming from the levers are just long enough to reach the junction box, if the junction box was moved the cable would pop out! The front derailleur had about 10 mm more slack so it was OK. I now just make sure the junction box is pushed up nice and tight in its housing in the internal stem.

I also added some yellow Canyon graphics to match the Mavic logos, but I have since returned back to the stealth look.
The jury is still out on the 52/36 chain-rings, I sometimes feel I could do with a 53 when in the 11 but its not often I hit the speeds that this happens, but I will see when the time comes to replace the worn rings. The only down side to owning a Canyon is the fact that if any component stops working you have to ship everything back to Germany, which equates to your bike being off the road for 4 weeks +, it would be great if they would send a replacement part and then you return the faulty part..........in an ideal world. But thankfully we have You tube and there is always a nice video online giving you a step by step guide on how to address the issue :thumbup:

So I'm very happy with my purchase and would definitely consider buying another Canyon when the time comes.

I have exactly the same bike and wheels.
How is the fit with 25mm GP4000's? Do the CXR01 blades fit ok?
Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 Team (L)
Dura Ace DI2
Mavic CXR Ultimate 60 Clinchers
Canyon H11 Aerocockpit
Elite custom race matte black bottle cages

FrankG

by FrankG

I have exactly the same bike and wheels.
How is the fit with 25mm GP4000's? Do the CXR01 blades fit ok?[/quote]

Yep, they fit perfectly, there is about 2mm clearance between the tyre and the aero seat tube, plenty of clearance around the brakes and chain stays. I had a issue with the blades rubbing off the mavic tyres and making a constant rubbing noise, this disappeared with the Conti's. Blades fit perfectly flush with the wider 25mm's, in actual fact they are the same width as the original mavic 23mm, they are deeper that the mavic's by 1.5mm.

How do you like the bike?

Sold
2010 Trek Madone 4.5
2010 Trek 1.2

bikesftw

by bikesftw

Hey, thought I would share my Canyon with you guys.

Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 Di2

ImageImage

by Weenie