Lightweight parts

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Riccfs
in the industry

by Riccfs

Hello All,
I wanted to know if people would be willing to pay for custom Carbon fiber parts.
I have been in the bicycle industry for over 20 years and also been in the composite industry for 10+ years. I have been working with local bicycle shops repairing carbon bikes out of warranty. I recently have started to create lightweight bicycle parts that can be color coded to match the bicycle colors.

I recently have mad a replacement shifter lever for Shimano Dur-Ace shifter which save 40grams. I would like to get some feedback if this is something that people would be willing to pay for or if it is not enough weight savings. I also have the capability of color coding the carbon weave so that every other weave is a color, so for red bikes the shifters can be a Black/Red carbon.
Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
155 gram <br />lightweight carbon fiber shifters
155 gram
lightweight carbon fiber shifters
Last edited by Riccfs on Fri May 20, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

Maybe

Post what you have done so we can see and then we will let you know.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

DamoRider

by DamoRider

I am aways willing to pay for light weight modifications but the parts would have to be quality. The shifter mod looks promising what other items were you thinking of producing?

DuPreez

by DuPreez

Firstly, congrats on what looks to be a very nice piece of craftsmanship :beerchug: . May I ask where you are based? I maybe interested in the production of some bespoke items. What manufacturing techniques do you have access to/what are you experienced in?

Riccfs
in the industry

by Riccfs

Hello DuPreez,
I am located in Virginia, i have a web site you can take a look at (its in the works though) WWW.CarbonFiberSolutions.net
I have a full set up for machining parts as well as a 6 x 3 autoclave that all my parts are put through and various other composite tool for doing all sorts of different lay-ups.

BmanX

by BmanX

I would be interested in Carbon shift levers for my Sram RED and FORCE shifters.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

mrfish

by mrfish

Nice quality, but $/g ratio isn't as good as it needs to be IMHO. Do some sums and see how your ratios compare with say BTP's shift lever clamps. Then factor in a 100% margin if you want a re-seller to be involved. My guess is that you will either have to simplify the production process or accept that this is going to be a very niche part.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tochnics

by tochnics

i would

best advertisement is your projects

weight weenies normaly pay top dollar for small carbon parts nobody makes

but not without a nice list of parts ready to order
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow