Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

BmanX

by BmanX

What would be cool would be an integrated aero post / seat for my Cervelo. I would pay top dollar for that.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

BmanX wrote:What would be cool would be an integrated aero post / seat for my Cervelo. I would pay top dollar for that.

If I would have the original seatpost (because the measures) it wouldn't be a big problem,..."just a few hours of work" :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I will have to PM you as I have no problem sending my post to you.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

tochnics

by tochnics

i think you will have a lot of costumers here
that seatpost will be future project for me to
i remember that samu had a lot of request ( where he did just had time for my frame repair ) for custom parts where he was a one man show
glad that there are more carbon wizards out there

cheers
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

DamoRider

by DamoRider

Berk,

I was wondering if you could share some detailed instructions on how you made the saddle/seatpost combination? I would love to do the same but don't really know where to start. :noidea:
1. Did you buy a prefabricated carbon tube to create the seatpost or did you buy sheet carbon and form your own post - if sheet how did you create the tube
2. Where did you buy the carbon you used; is there a website?
3. What kind of epoxy did you use
4. How did you go about making the mold - what material was the mold made from
5. How did you dry the carbon
6. How did you fasten the saddle onto the post?

Pictures and details would be appreciated...I am a novice but would really like to make my own saddle/post!

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

BmanX wrote:What would be cool would be an integrated aero post / seat for my Cervelo. I would pay top dollar for that.

Since we are all hi-jacking anyways, how about a pic?

http://www.forum.light-bikes.de/showthread.php?t=16141
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

BmanX

by BmanX

Sorry that should have read Aero Cervelo seatpost which I think Berk knew. I think it would be amazing if you could do an aero seat post with saddle for less than the original length and weight post.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

MrIzoard

by MrIzoard

I am extremly impressed with your builds!
Keep up the good work but don't forget the training ;)

//Ulf L.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks for all those compliments :thumbup: !

I sure won't forget to train :wink:
(yesterday I had a "killing training" with 38x 1min intervals, 20 of them uphill, tomorrow I'll have a +170km training,...training hard for the season, I'll start it on 19th February, aslo with some protour/proteam teams, otherwise I ride for an U23 Continental team...)

About the other questions - @DamoRider, I send you a PM, but unfortunately I can't tell anywho how exactly I made those components,...

Everything is 100% handmade by me, from the fibre to the finished product, it's just pure handmade work. And of course a lot of experimenting etc.,..but I just love that work! If I would have some more free time and wouldn't be financially limited, I would probably try to make any component by my own :mrgreen:

It would be also interesting to make an aero combo, but I would need some very precise measures or just one original seat post in my hands... :mrgreen:

And some more experimental work:
I made just a "test dropout", 5mm thick, and 24g as on the photo. Of course with quite a lot of excess and of course I would have to make the grooves etc., but it's just an experimantal product. I'll of course make a new shape of it for the Berk PROTO-TYPE 3 frame...
At the end should both dropouts weight cca. 40g - the ALU dropouts that I used on the PROTO-TYPE 2 frame were more than 110g,..

Anyway, some photos of the test dropout, nothing special, without any work on the surface etc., just out of the mould,...

Just to remind you that there are a lot of "test products" that I unfortunately don't publish...but I prefer first to test it/try to make it, before the real work...:thumbup:

BmanX

by BmanX

Well if I finish the English build 100% and I get my Giant TCR training bike 100%, I do not have a problem sending over my Cervelo aero post with the saddle on it so that you can get the exact measurements you need as well as the angle of the saddle. I will send a PM soon.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

ricerocket

by ricerocket

The seatpost/saddle combo is neat, but aren't you eliminating all the flex on the saddle by having the post attach in the center? It'd be like sitting on a pole, no?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@BmanX: OK :wink:...

@ricerocket:
It's pretty much the same as the ordinary Selle Italia c64 saddle. Although c64 should be more comfortable but it's really very similar. If you try to "bend" the c64 saddle you'll see that it's quite hard and the only real flex of the saddle is only on the sides (and also on the sides it's quite hard)...if you're used to ride with some carbon saddles the difference won't be that "horrible". If I wouldn't ride as a pro, and would ride only for 2-3h per day, I would most probably use my own combo :mrgreen: that's also the reason why I'm making the frame with an integrated saddle...but will see, if I would rather use an ordinary saddle I could still cut the integrated saddle and use a stubby with an ordinary saddle - but my aim is to make a frame as light as possible, and it's some kind of hobby to me, because I don't really need another bike...and if I integrate the saddle that's around 200g lighter than using stubby with an SLR 135g saddle.

Anyway, unfortunately the progress on the frame is quite slow, because I don't have a lot of free time, but I really enjoy this project and here are a few more photos:

All the tubes have just 687g!
I still have to make the dropouts (+40g), so still quite a lot of work to do,...I'll also have to make the grooves at the edges of the tubes, to assure a perfec fit at the joints etc.,...of course after I'll make the grooves the weight will be a bit lower. At the end all the tubes with dropouts and the rear break-bridge should weight under 700g.

Rough saddle:

And of course it's a frame with an integrated seatpost. If I would make an ordinary frame without ISP it would be even cca. 55g lighter, but I'll integrate a saddle (at this moment only 33g + cca. 30g reinforcements) and it would be just the same as using an ordinary frame with cca. 110g combo, but much more "bulletproof"..

Everything on this photo weights just 720g:
By the way, all the tubes and the saddle are still rough...

Anyway, still a lot of work to do,...but slowly and with pleasure the frame will be made... :wink:

MARLON

by MARLON

:popcorn:

PUNO PUNO Ljepo!!!
BACK IN BLACK

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Berk wrote:------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And some other projects, probably it's also interesting - saddle&seatpost combo:

Hi!

Some very good news, but not about the frame...

I managed to make this mould with a friend of mine who was also a pro cyclist... We made it very precise (0.001mm precision) for some new improved saddle-seatpost combos for 31.6mm seatposts!
New products will be even more improved and as soon as I'll have any order I'll keep you updated also about those combos!

And just to remind you, I still train really very hard, although I'm still very young I'll have this week another big race with quite a lot of famous riders...http://beta.bicikel.com/uploads/bicikel ... _lista.pdf My number is
113 :wink:. Last week I raced also in Laigueglia, but unfortunately only 47 riders managed to finish the race and I went out with two French riders (from Cofidis and Ag2r,...)

Anyway, hope that you like my work and if there is any question just write to me :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrIzoard

by MrIzoard

Looks very promising!!!

Keep up the good job (and the training ;) )

//Ulf L.