Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mythical

by mythical

Great work, Jure! I hope to upgrade my current Selle Italia SLR to one of your saddles. :wink: Have you thought of a name yet?
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@N.T & Mythical
Thanks! Well I don't really yet have any name for it, didn't thought yet on that:)

Here just one small update, I already posted tha chainstays of a new prototype project that I'm working on. Slowly started with it already in July, basicly I'll use almost the same moulds as from my PT5 that was posted on the previous page, I only made a new mould for the chainstays and toptupe, some small changes that won't be really seen once I build the bike. So where is the point of making another frame with almost the same look? Personally I like the look, but this time the layup will be different. I work a lot on constructing the layup, so I decided I'll make a new frame with some changes, to see how it will compares with the frame I already used this season. Next year I'll also (hopefully :mrgreen: ) graduate from mechanical engineering and this will also be somehow a part of my diploma (composite engineering).
Anyway, here just one photo of the downtube, still completely rough:

Also almost all the other tubes are finished, so I'll post more in the next few days. Otherwise this time I went with 3K plain look, only the seatstays will be UD (and the fork)..so it should look nice once I build it all together (with UD / plain look). Of course my aim is to make it as light as possible, but without any sacrifice on stiffness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seanblurr

by seanblurr

As always great stuff mate
Instagram @seanblurr

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks!

Here also the toptube:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Seat tube - still have to cut it a bit

mythical

by mythical

Cool stuff. What diameter is that?
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks!
It's 32mm and it will be for a 27.2mm seatpost. There will be a shim with an ID of 27.2mm glued inside the tube once I laminate the carbon reinforcements.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Front triangle glued together - 404g.

The chainstays, dropouts and seatstays will add around 250g, and then I'll have to make some more carbon reinforcements on the joints.. I'll keep you updated

Nutellaurent

by Nutellaurent

i'm always happy to see when this thread is updated :) you're a talented guy

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

Looking good.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks, really glad to hear that :thumbup:!

I have some more news regarding the biathlon rifle project that I already mentioned. The prototype is used, some hard adjusting etc. and it is finally ready, so I can take the measurments and make the final version. Here is my friend Peter (the professional biathlete) testing the prototype:

And a video, hope you can see it because it's from Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=66 ... =2&theater
There you can found also some more photos (on my site "Berk Composites").

Mention that it's a pure prototype, so we adjusted it all the time, also a lot of improvisations etc.,...but it's finally ready and I can start with the final version of that rifle. So if you're interested I'll also post some updates here. It's a rifle for my great friend Peter Dokl, who is a professional biathlete, and we started with this project together with GorjupDesign. It's a project for the winter olympic games in Russia, so the rifle that I'm working on right now will most probably be used there, I'll keep you updated ;)!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

PT6 frame project - just glued also the chainstays with dropouts. At this moment the weight is 583g:

The chainstays are slightly changed compared to PT5 (and also the toptube is a bit changed), but in the end it will look very similar.
Otherwise some tubes are still a bit too long (headtube, BB and seat tube). It will be cut to the right dimension after the carbon reinforcements..

Next step is to glue the seatstays with brake bridge, and then it will be ready for some more carbon reinforcements on the joints, I'll keep you updated

whilgenberg

by whilgenberg

Quick questions:

Are these made with bladder compression molding?
Are you using pre-preg, wet layup, or vacuum infusion?
If you are doing bladder compression molding how are you making your bladders? I'm working with a few bladder compression molded parts and the way I make my bladders is a little costly for low-production pieces.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi,
it depends from each tube, but more or less it's vacuum bagged (not infusion) so it's made with wet layup. Actualy I make my own prepreg and then laminate it...
Otherwise I also use prepreg, but only for some specific parts (depends from the moulds).
I make all the bladders by myself, simply with the vacuum bagging foil. Takes some time to make it really good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

It might be my eyes playing tricks on me, but do some of your tube shapes change over their length? What about the thickness of the tubes, have you played with that in your layups?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."