Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Interesting article on some new Syncros wheels which are one piece carbon (similar to what Berk has shown before)

https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/04/19/so ... ke-wheels/

Mep

by Mep

Does anyone use Berk saddles with a Carbonice seatpost? Or with a similar seatpost clamp design (see photo)?

My saddle rails cracked on a regular ride and I weigh 52kg. Starting to wonder if the two may be incompatible with each other.
MVIMG_20180428_170826.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I use a very similar seatpost, with the same clamping mechanism and a Berk Lupina with no issues, in your case, not sure it helps if you have that type of clamp and what looks like a huge saddle bag (300grams plus) hanging off the rails too.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Mep wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:51 pm
Does anyone use Berk saddles with a Carbonice seatpost? Or with a similar seatpost clamp design (see photo)?

My saddle rails cracked on a regular ride and I weigh 52kg. Starting to wonder if the two may be incompatible with each other.
my ax lightness is similar clamp. I try to have the rear directly over the piece undernealth
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Mep wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:51 pm

I use my Lupina with a MCFK seatpost that has a similar clamping mechanism. No issues yet, and I've used it extensively for over 18 months now. I'm 68 kg for reference.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Deleted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Beancouter on Fri May 04, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hennesy

by Hennesy

All this cracks are covered by the warranty ?

Hennesy

by Hennesy

Delorre wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:38 pm
Delorre wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:02 am
Marin wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:44 pm
I think you should contact Berk instead of posting on a forum
Will do, but, berk saddles are very popular here on WW. I was wondering if I was the only with such 'issue'. We are here to share experiences, so, for me, nothing wrong with my post :wink:
Have to say, brilliant customer service by Jure :thumbup: Warrantied without questions asked. A new one is on my way, the current one will be send back for investigation
Can you post again the photos ?

Mep

by Mep

stevec1975 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:18 pm
I use a very similar seatpost, with the same clamping mechanism and a Berk Lupina with no issues, in your case, not sure it helps if you have that type of clamp and what looks like a huge saddle bag (300grams plus) hanging off the rails too.

The saddle bag is about 200g. It's not actually that big, I only carry sealant and a mini tool in it, so I'd be really surprised if that's the reason for cracking. Yes in my case it's under warranty.

The Lupina is really the most comfortable saddle I've rode on. I'm going to try the same with the oval rails version and see how it goes. I haven't had any issues with other carbon saddles on this clamping system, although all the ones I've used did indeed have oval rails.

C36

by C36

Mep wrote:Does anyone use Berk saddles with a Carbonice seatpost? Or with a similar seatpost clamp design (see photo)?

The yokes appears not to be parallel. On another seat post it caused them to break... here guess the unbalanced forces were higher than the rails could handle.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Sweetbabyj45

by Sweetbabyj45

Mep wrote:Does anyone use Berk saddles with a Carbonice seatpost? Or with a similar seatpost clamp design (see photo)?

Yeah, I have the exact same setup with no problem (i weigh 68 kg, fwiw). My guess (as well) is that the bolts to the yolks not being parallel increased the forces enough to crack it, but I'm no engineer, so... Sorry man, that sucks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have a carbonice seatpost and use with a lupina with 7mm rails but parts of passion yokes. Nil issues. I assume the bolt alignement moved when the rail cracked.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eforce123

by eforce123

awesome thread and keep up the excellent work.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi to all!
Sorry for my late answer, quite busy as always.

Regrading the wheel project - it is still in development, and as long as we are not 110% sure we won't release any new product yet, but it is still in development and something we'll for sure produce in the future. But slowly growing, we need to get some new pairs of hands etc., so we are facing with all kind of different tasks.

For the saddle rails issues - such clamping systems are the worst for any kind of saddle rails. In general there should be no problem, it is something we cover under warranty, but mention that it should be used with max. 5Nm, and that the saddle of course shouldn't be crashed. In case of a crash it should be replaced.

We give our best to offer perfect support, we also work with great dealers which will take care. In some cases it may take a few days, but we'll give our best to cover any warranty case. Of course also sh*t happens and also manufacturing mistakes are possible, but we give our best and take care if there is any problem.

Otherwise some news regarding our saddles, it will be soon updated on our website, on request we can already produce it.
Berk Dila, new saddle model now in production, more details will be soon published.

From cca. 80g (full carbon) to cca. 100g (padded).

Almost 60mm wide saddle nose, 160mm at the widest part

Price for the padded saddle is 285eur and for the full carbon 310eur. Some of our dealers will soon already have it, and we'll also give our best to update our website as soon as possible. Otherwise if there will be any more questions please just let me know, thanks!

CLEAR

by CLEAR

Really nice shape... unsure of the 160mm will fit me. But I'm glad you came a very long way to where you can now make molds from your own cnc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com