Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi!

Just a quick introduction:
I'm 18 (and a half) years old and an U23 Continental cyclist from Slovenia (Europe). Beside of cycling my big passion is also making carbon fibre components. My dream is to succeed as a pro cyclist or (if not as a pro cyclist) I would love to have my own company some day...

Here are just a few products, handmade by me:
142g saddle&setpost combo

128g seatpost 31.6mm x 275mm (also all the ALU work is handmade by myself)

Shimano Ultegra "brake cap"

etc.,...

Berk PROTO-TYPE 2 frame SUB 1180g
and it's topic: http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... f=6&t=7194

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time for the carbon work (I train a lot, education, girlfriend,.. :wink: ), but I really love the work and will for sure continue making some new custom components and of course test/ride them.

My symbol is ..., and Berk is my surename.

This topic is about a new frame. A birth of a new frame, called PROTO-TYPE 3.

I already made 2 frames and some other components...the second frame (topic "Berk PROTO-TYPE 2") was really a big success for me.

But I want to make it even better! It's sure possible, so that is also the reason that I'll make another road frame. I already know how to improve a few details and reduce the weight of the frame, with good stiffness! My aim is SUB 1000g.

Everything is handmade by myself.

Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Scheme of the frame:
Just to let you know what's already made...

Downtube...

...the inside:

Will post more photos and news soon...

Hope you'll like it - any comments etc. are welcome!
Thanks for your attention :thumbup:
Last edited by Berk on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I have followed all of your builds and components that you have build and was wondering if Proto-Type 3 will incorporate a few of the items together. A sub 1000g frame will be the lightest you have build but is not super light. I was thinking since you know your saddle height very well at this point coming from a builder/racer background that you could probably build the saddle onto the ISP and save a lot of weight not having any mounting hardward for the post. You saddle/post combo is pretty light but imagine how much weight you could save if you built everything together. Just a thought.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Frisco

by Frisco

I really enjoyed your previous build threads and am looking forward to this one. Even more details about the assembly techniques would be appreciated.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

First of all thanks!

BmanX wrote:/...I was thinking since you know your saddle height very well at this point coming from a builder/racer background that you could probably build the saddle onto the ISP and save a lot of weight not having any mounting hardward for the post. You saddle/post combo is pretty light but imagine how much weight you could save if you built everything together. Just a thought.

I know what you mean and I already though about this,...it would be really the lightest way to build a bike. I would save cca. 200g !?! (the carbon saddle weights less than 60g + reinforcements, Ritchey stubby and SLR saddle = +250g). Will think about it - if I would like to use a stubby, I could still just cut the end of the seatpost with the integrated saddle,...and If I cut the ISP I can stll use a 31.6mm seatpost,...quite a lot of options :mrgreen:. Will see... But most of the time I'll have to ride my sponsor bike (Wilier, Sram Red,..), and it's nice to borrow the bike that I made for a test ride to my friends. I have just a Sram Rival groupset with Sram S900 crank, not really WW, but good enough for the test ride :mrgreen:

xpert

by xpert

I also followed all your work and prototypes... really nice work and craftsmanship ... well done.

I was with the impression that the new Prototype 3 would be a TT frame ... :) a WW is also welcomed ... keep up the good work!!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks!

Yes, I'm also already working on a TT frame, but for now only on paper...and yes, I will make one for sure! Will see about my free time, most likely during the summer.

This frame (PROTO-TYPE 3) won't take me a lot of work time. Tomorrow I'll go on a training camp with my team (till 30 December) and after that I'll continue with the work. I already made the moulds for the tubes at the end of the season, and most of the tubes for this frame are already done!

I'll use the same tube for the headtube and the downtube. The inside diameter is 44mm (for press-fit headsets) and the outside diameter is 47mm.

105cm of the tube

265g and 105cm

Mention that the tube is still rough, without any work on the surface jet:

And of course I had to cut the tube:

Headtube:
160mm

Downtube:

I still have to precise cut the end of the tube and of course shape it (right angle and "groove"), that it will fit perfectly when I'll glue the tubes together... At the end the downtube should weight just under 160g.

Also the BB will be for press-fit bearings (41mm), carbon fibre tube, 86.5mm wide.

Will keep you updated. If possible also during my training-camp, because I already have "some news in stock" :wink:

tochnics

by tochnics

very nice to see this
this must take a lot of patience

i just weighed my ax endurance saddle and my deadelus seatpost (longest version) and together they are 209 grams
its nice to see that i could shave of about 50 grams with combination setup

cheers
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

kac

by kac

I think you have a brilliant talent as a designer, craftsman and fabricator. Maybe you should start your own company or a consulting firm regardless of whatever else you choose to pursue as a career!

micky

by micky

Another great topic to follow. :thumbup:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

tochnics wrote:...this must take a lot of patience

...yes indeed :mrgreen: but it's a really great work, I love it, you can really build your own dream bike...and with any new component you learn a lot, and every next product is better, etc.,...

@micky
I'm glad that you like it!

@kac
That would be really a dream job for me! Hopefully some day I'll manage to have my own small company. I have a lot of new ideas and innovations how I can make new components, I'm just waiting to have some free time to make the projects true.

I have an A4 notebook with already 37 pages how I'll make some new carbon components and experiments! All the "lamination-plans", schemes (for almost every component - stem, brakes,...), experiments that I have to do,...but unfortunately it's my secret and I'm the only one who knows how exactly I make it. Most of people thought that it's impossible when I started to making the first frame,...and when I made the first and the second frame, I start with new projects on the paper,...one of them is also PROTO-TYPE 3, but beside the new frame there is also a plan how I would make my own wheelset etc.,.. Most of people again said that it's impossible,...but I don't think so... :mrgreen: I just need some time, and some day I'll sure try to make the most ultimate projects...but for now step by step, a lot of testing etc., and slowly I'll be prepared for new, better projects... :mrgreen:

This time I choose another road frame (although I don't need it), because I can learn a lot during this project. My aim is SUB 1000g, maybe even less...will see! It may last for a few months, but I hope that you'll enjoy those projects...of course I'll keep you updated & thanks for your attention :thumbup:

Steen

by Steen

Cool! A Berk project again.
I'm going to follow this for sure!

:thumbup:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

:D

Chainstays

17mm x 14.5mm

490mm each, so I'll still have to cut them. The surface is still rough,...

This is it for today! Greetings from Pokljuka (Slovenia) where I have a training-camp with my team (till Friday). On 19.12 there was the biathlon world cup and it's really great to train here!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Bottom bracket - BB

Carbon fibre BB for press-fit bearings (41mm).

Just the base tube, after the joint will be reinforced the tube should be cca. 3.5mm thick.

BB with Truvativ bearing (for Sram crankset)

It's really very tight, just like it should be (with hands it's "impossible" to insert the bearing, but with a little bit help it's just perfect!)

When I'll come home I'll still have quite a lot of work to do...just can't wait!

Still quite a lot of work to do,...

BmanX

by BmanX

AWESOME just incredible work. I love your threads and would be honoured one day to own a bike from you.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

MaaseyRacer

by MaaseyRacer

Subscribed!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com