Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

APPROVED

by APPROVED

Something new coming out from Berk-Composites. Hopefully we get more info by the end of the year.

Enjoy

micky

by micky

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Charlichin

by Charlichin

The new short saddles are out. Anyone who has tried them yet?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi to all,
we recently presented two new models called Lipa and Ploh

https://ibb.co/VCq0psb

For now only as a padded saddle. Why?

It is not a replacement or any kind of next generation of the saddles we already produce, but two completely new models. Those two were made for riders who prefer the shorter saddle trend with a more flat saddle profile. We wanted to make them with as much flex as our previous models, but because it is so short it isn't possible, and to at least add some more comfort we decided to go with padded only for now. If you'll have any more questions please just let me know, thanks!

DHG01

by DHG01

Berk wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:04 am
Hi to all,
we recently presented two new models called Lipa and Ploh

https://ibb.co/VCq0psb

For now only as a padded saddle. Why?

It is not a replacement or any kind of next generation of the saddles we already produce, but two completely new models. Those two were made for riders who prefer the shorter saddle trend with a more flat saddle profile. We wanted to make them with as much flex as our previous models, but because it is so short it isn't possible, and to at least add some more comfort we decided to go with padded only for now. If you'll have any more questions please just let me know, thanks!
Thanks. Is is similar to the Dila but 0.7 mm shorter?
I would be curious to test; but not sure anything can beat a Dila.

KyleH

by KyleH

DHG01 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:21 am

I think it's a bit shorter, a bit narrower at the nose, and a bit flatter than the Dila. I'll hopefully have mine tomorrow and can compare them side by side.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

yeah i would love a short resume
to explain the differences others than what I can read on the website
between these two news and the dila

KyleH

by KyleH

romanmoser wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:25 am
yeah i would love a short resume
to explain the differences others than what I can read on the website
between these two news and the dila
Got word mine arrives tomorrow afternoon. I'll snap some comparison photos and post them up

DHG01

by DHG01

KyleH wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:09 am
DHG01 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:21 am

I think it's a bit shorter, a bit narrower at the nose, and a bit flatter than the Dila. I'll hopefully have mine tomorrow and can compare them side by side.
Thanks! Looking forward!

KyleH

by KyleH

Didn't get any outside miles but a quick mount and sit has me really regretting the Lipa. I actually really liked the fit of the Dila but my most recent one started peeling the fabric after just 2 weeks of riding and tore the hell out of my skinsuits. While in chats about warranty the Lipa and Ploh were released and it was recommended I get the Lipa.

Its narrow, like painfully narrow in the middle, compared to the Dila. I'd be willing to ride it outside and see if I can get it dialed in but not at the risk of not being able to return it. The US rep has a Ploh in stock and said he will swap them and see if thats any better. Maybe I'll just wait for my Dila warranty replacement and hope it lasts longer this time. Between the lack of info on the saddles and the 2 Dila's that have needed replacement due to manufacturer flaws is souring my taste on Berk. The first Dila cracked the rails and he's since moved from using round rails so Im hoping this cover wear was just a defect as my last Dila showed no signs of wear in this spot. Jure has been good about replacing them but between communication and being halfway across the world, it's not exactly a timely process.

As for the saddle, its lighter than the Dila for sure, the back half is largely the same, but its much narrower after the wings and has notably shorter saddle rails so dont expect a ton of adjustment fore and aft.

Last edited by KyleH on Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AZR3

by AZR3

Wow! The rails look very short, doesn't look like much room to adjust at all

romanmoser

by romanmoser

thanks very much kyle ;)
Sounds like the dila still is a better option for me to try then ...
Coming for pro stealth, spec power s works and others short nose saddles

Interesting that the LIpa and PLoh are only coming with padded leather tops for cushion
(being shorter they can't flex like the lupina, being as supple)
But the dila exist in non padded version too .

KyleH

by KyleH

romanmoser wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:45 am
thanks very much kyle ;)
Sounds like the dila still is a better option for me to try then ...
Coming for pro stealth, spec power s works and others short nose saddles

Interesting that the LIpa and PLoh are only coming with padded leather tops for cushion
(being shorter they can't flex like the lupina, being as supple)
But the dila exist in non padded version too .
I don't have a power around anymore to compare, but from what I remember the Power was much narrower at the nose than the Stealth. If you prefer that the Lipa might be a better option. I really like the wide mid section of the stealth, and Dila, so that's why the Lipa was a no go for me. I'll post again next week when the Ploh gets here!

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I rode the Power saddle (155mm) for about 4 years, then moved to the Power Mimic (155mm) for the last 4 years. Been riding the Berk Lupina 150mm padded for the last 2 months and LOVING it. Since the Ploh was described to be more similar to the Power saddle, I decided to try it out. After a couple test rides, here are my thoughts.

The build quality looked and felt fantiastic. While it wasn't uncomfortable to me, it wasn't AS comfortable as the Lupina. Obviously what works for one doesn't necassarily work for another and saddle shape is very personal. For those who like a flat saddle, this will be your jam! I prefer having more contour to my saddle with a bit of a rise in the rear, which the Lupina provides.

Oddly enough, I find that the Lupina feels more similar to the Power saddle than the Ploh. When I initially installed the Lupina and rode it, it didn't really stand out to feel any different than the Power saddle. I've been riding the Lupina now for 2 straight months and yet to have any chaffing, sit bone fatigue or discomfort. I was always skeptical of trying a botique style carbon saddle, but pleasantly surprised and excited to see just how comfortable it is. I have ZERO plans to put my Power Mimic saddle back on my bike.

Here are some other photos and angles of the Berk Ploh padded

Comparison between Ploh and Lupina

Comparison between Power Mimic 155 and Ploh

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KyleH

by KyleH

Sorry to go MIA, but heres an update. I've had the Ploh for ~2 weeks now and plan on keeping it around but it will go on my Venge and the Dila will go back on my English. The Ploh is very similar to the Dila in terms of shape but I noticed the biggest difference in the climbs and drops. The slight scoop of the Dila added an extra little bit of comfort when the incline kicked up and the Ploh feels locked in and most at home when you're in the drops. The Dila is a bit more comfortable over rougher terrain as the longer saddle flexs more than the Ploh. The shorter nose is really nice if you have any thigh rub on the Dila like I did.

Ploh on Dila
ImageUntitled by Kyle Hitz, on Flickr

Ploh ontop Dila

Dila - Ploh - Lipa