Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

That is a design that would be awesome. Thinking of a FSA plasma style bar that is pre built and then on demand after a fitting the stem tube length is selected and then bonded to the bars. From the front the bars are super clean as the bond is in the stem tube. Would just need a clean way to set bar angle for different degree stems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

I'll think about it. Otherwise a formum member contacted me, and offered me a very nice handlebar that could be used for a prototype bar/stem combo with my own stem. So if I get it I'll try to make it, really appreciate (thanks to Jamie from Australia!) :beerchug:

Otherwise it's almost finished...I just have to polish it a bit etc., so it will be finished during this weekend, will send then some more photos:

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

Looks great :thumbup:
Really smooth and slimmed, i like it...

Elrey

by Elrey

Mary me Jure.
Last edited by Elrey on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

nicrump

by nicrump

absolutely fantastic job on that bar/stem Berk.

very neat trick there, cosmetic done without breather or peel. very smart.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks!

@nicrump
Thanks for the compliment, really appreciate that from someone like you! If I'm honest it turned out better than I hoped. It was a bit tricky to make sure that the vacuum bag didn't "cut" in the carbon, to provide the nice finish, but it was more than worth the extra effort. Also the layup under the cosmetic layer was very important, I didn't wanted to get any "edge" between each layer if you know what I mean, and it turned out really nice.

I'll soon make some more photos, also from the front profile.

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

what is the final weight of it?

steff

by steff

Very very nice
is it possible with all kind of stem and handlebar ?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Fuchspk wrote:what is the final weight of it?

It's basicly the same, when I started it was 300g, now it's 2g less as on photo. If I wouldn't cover also the stem and the part between the joint and the handlebar tape I would save almost 10g.

@steff
Sure, anything would be possible. In the future I'll most probably try to make my own stem and laminate it to a bar, will see, I'll for sure let you know if/when I start with it.

whilgenberg

by whilgenberg

Hello Berk.
I have been watching your thread for a while and I have to say I am very impressed with your work. Very meticulous with an incredible attention to detail. I do a lot of composite work with my university here in the states and we were having issues with the bag cutting into the plys and we switched to stretchy vacbag. Stretchlon to be exact. Stretches to 400% and makes your life much easier. You just can't reuse it. But then again, you seem to be doing fine without so keep doing what you're doing.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi, thanks! Yes I also use it sometimes, for example when I made my frame (green foil) and for some more complex shapes/moulds. I never use the same bag for 2 products, so I could make it also with strechlon, but somehow prefer the ordinary foil for the vacuum bag.

steff

by steff

Berk wrote:
@steff
Sure, anything would be possible. In the future I'll most probably try to make my own stem and laminate it to a bar, will see, I'll for sure let you know if/when I start with it.

ok , thanks because I have Nora stem and mcfk handlebar and a combo will match perfectly with my seatpost combo

cintre mcfk 009.jpg

cintre mcfk 003.jpg

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

300g? that´s heavy :D did you made it for cyclocross?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

:lol:
The reinforcements added around 20g for the joint + cosmetic layer, so the weight depends from the origina bar and stem.

@steff
it would be for sure possible to make it. It's even less complicated than that combo that I just made (because that type of clamping mechanism where I could just cut the area where the two bolts are and glue the bar in the stem, and then just add a few more carbon reinforcements).

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Berk, slightly off the current topic, but did you get feedback from the Sky team on the seat and post combos you made them? Are they going to use them this year?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com