Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DOUG

by DOUG

DOUG wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:44 am
Thanks @Gullholm. The fact that the 7mm round rails have held up for you gives me plenty of confidence. I also have the round rail version of the list on my road bike and even though I'm a lightweight at 62kg its still in the back of my mind whenever I hit a pothole!

Anyway 3 rides in and no complaints. Have hit some fairly gnarly (for XC) single track with no issues. Its such a great saddle Im glad I decided to go with it. And of course the weight is always a major motivator, 92g for a padded saddle with oval rails is pretty great IMO. My 2019 Scalpel is down to about 10.2kg now (inc pedals), time to find another 200g! 8)
Gah, killed my padded List on the weekend. I think they're fine for general XC riding but the design with the rails glued directly to the shell just isnt durable enough in the event of a fall which when you're racing is inevitable. Got hung up on a rock in a steep uphill rock garden on my practise lap and stepped off the bike, the shell popped right off the rails when it landed against a tree. I zipped tied it back on to try and get it through the race but I had to tension it really tight to hold it on and the shell collapsed where the zip tie was which was kind of expected.

All good though, not really a use case that they're designed for. Will keep the List I have on my road bike though as it seems to be doing just fine and its easily the most comfortable saddle Ive ridden.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Hit a small pothole on my commute yesterday (nothing extraordinary compared to what I've hit before), heard a loud crack, and it turned out my Berk Lupina padded rails have separated from the shell on the nose of the saddle. The mileage was at least 5k, rather closer to 10k, so the saddle had definitely experienced some ass abuse already.

Still hoping I can glue them back together with some superglue.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

exctasy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:43 am
anyone has any review on the berk dila?
thinking of replacing my fizik antares.
I tried the lupina, but i just cant get it to work for my ass
I've just got back from Spain, the longest ride I did was 166km and 3,800m on my new Dila 140 padded (107g).

It's pretty much perfect for me. I had zero discomfort and it very much disappeared beneth me.

Can't really ask for more than that. This is coming from a Prologo Dimension Nack which I just couldn't get on with.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Mep

by Mep

mrlobber wrote:Hit a small pothole on my commute yesterday (nothing extraordinary compared to what I've hit before), heard a loud crack, and it turned out my Berk Lupina padded rails have separated from the shell on the nose of the saddle. The mileage was at least 5k, rather closer to 10k, so the saddle had definitely experienced some ass abuse already.

Round or oval rails?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Mep wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:34 pm
mrlobber wrote:Hit a small pothole on my commute yesterday (nothing extraordinary compared to what I've hit before), heard a loud crack, and it turned out my Berk Lupina padded rails have separated from the shell on the nose of the saddle. The mileage was at least 5k, rather closer to 10k, so the saddle had definitely experienced some ass abuse already.

Round or oval rails?
I had this happen over a speedbump, but it happened on one side of the rear (on my third ride)... I do think there is an issue with the adhesive used and maybe the inherant flex of the saddle and the adhesive being too brittle. I used some JB weld for plastics and really lathered it on.. it's been good for a couple months. Superglue is not enough IMHO.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Mep wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:34 pm
Round or oval rails?
Round rails.
spdntrxi wrote:I do think there is an issue with the adhesive used and maybe the inherant flex of the saddle and the adhesive being too brittle. I used some JB weld for plastics and really lathered it on.. it's been good for a couple months. Superglue is not enough IMHO.
We'll see, I sincerely hope you're wrong on the superglue here :D :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I popped the rail assembly off from the rear off my lupina, won’t say how my son managed it, reglued with Sikaflex urethane I would say about 12 months ago, been fine since. Must say he was a bit embarrassed and offered to replace the saddle.
BB

Coffee & carbon

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Actually need replacements for my Lupinas, and was wondering if anyone has been able to get in contact with Jure, or anyone from Berk? Sent a couple of emails a week ago, and still haven't received a reply.

KCookie

by KCookie

MNX1024 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:58 pm
Actually need replacements for my Lupinas, and was wondering if anyone has been able to get in contact with Jure, or anyone from Berk? Sent a couple of emails a week ago, and still haven't received a reply.
Unfortunately that's normal, years ago he would answer the next day, now the company is growing expect to wait 1-2 weeks for a reply. I had an email from Jure yesterday after sending a few emails asking when I would receive my warranty replacement saddle which has been since 5th March. Just keep emailing him every few days. He will soon get back.

kjetilEng

by kjetilEng

Just picked up my Berk Composites Saddle Lupina Carbon Leather black Width 132 mm Rail 7x9 mm oval, and put it on my kitchen scale. It was listed at 90 grams, but came in at 110. Thats dissapointing when you pay 260 EU for a saddle. https://r2-bike.com/BERK-COMPOSITES-Sad ... p-to-100kg. Image
Attachments
Sete.jpeg

IvanZg

by IvanZg

Contact them and return the item. You have the right to do so if products is in shape as you received it. 20% discrepancy in weight is far from acceptable. Btw measure it, it might have been wider version then one you requested.

KCookie

by KCookie

Yeah I wouldn't be happy with that weight either. Definitely worth sending Jure an email expressing your concern. I think someone within the business needs to start weighing items before they are posted or change the average weight on the website. Both my Padded Lupinas were 101g and 89g, unfortunately the rails snapped on the light one and been waiting two months for a replacement. Jure said it was posted mid week. I did actually ask for one the same weight, so let's see how that turns out.

ms6073

by ms6073

KCookie wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:37 pm
years ago he would answer the next day, now the company is growing expect to wait 1-2 weeks for a reply.
Seems to sound familiar to the behavior of now infamous WW vendor. No irons in this fire but Jure needs to work on that if he wants to continue growing his business.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

siim

by siim

kjetilEng wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:35 pm
Just picked up my Berk Composites Saddle Lupina Carbon Leather black Width 132 mm Rail 7x9 mm oval, and put it on my kitchen scale. It was listed at 90 grams, but came in at 110. Thats dissapointing when you pay 260 EU for a saddle. https://r2-bike.com/BERK-COMPOSITES-Sad ... p-to-100kg.
Just received Lupina padded from R2 Bike as well. Mine was 150mm version and weight is 110g. That's 6g more than listed and I can live with that. 132mm oval rails padded Lupina is listed as 99g by Berk: https://www.berk-composites.com/product ... na-padded/
The picture with saddle on scale on R2 bike site says it's for round rails version.

bilwit

by bilwit

kjetilEng wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:35 pm
Just picked up my Berk Composites Saddle Lupina Carbon Leather black Width 132 mm Rail 7x9 mm oval, and put it on my kitchen scale. It was listed at 90 grams, but came in at 110. Thats dissapointing when you pay 260 EU for a saddle. https://r2-bike.com/BERK-COMPOSITES-Sad ... p-to-100kg. Image
That's r2-bike's failure for copy/pasting the wrong specifications. They probably got the spec for the round-rail version. The exact same model on Berk's direct site is listed at 99g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com