Aiming for sub 10lbs. Sram Red, DASH hubs THM Update 20/5/11

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

gumgardner

by gumgardner

How much weight do you save by sanding the brake levers and derailleurs?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jhpbk

by jhpbk

Gumgardner.

I am not 100% sure on the rear mech, with the tuning kit, I have saved 32grams. The kit was meant to save 18grams, so I presume the sanding on the rear mech saved me about 14grams.

With the shifters. The sanding didn't save that much. The overall weight saving with the BTP products is just under 30grams per shifter, the sanding saved around 10 grams.

Thanks,
Josh...

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Awesome. Thx :D

SaddleLight

by SaddleLight

Wow Josh, great progress so far! Can't wait to see the full build come together. You are pretty ballsy with the dremel
do you do all you work freehand? Are you planning on leaving the handed carbon raw, or are you sealing it? Best of luck!

jhpbk

by jhpbk

SaddleLight.

Thank you for the comments. Yes all the dermal work is by hand, then finished off with different grade sandpaper to get a smooth finish.

I am not sure regarding the unfinished carbon. I have got a uv protecting carbon paste somewhere that can be rubbed into the carbon and protect it. I do not want to spray the levers, as that could end up ruining the mechanism. And I don't want to take them apart, I have already ruined 1 red shifter during the process.

Cheeers,
Josh...

Darksid3

by Darksid3

Hows it coming along?

gumgardner

by gumgardner

jhpbk wrote:Gumgardner.

I am not 100% sure on the rear mech, with the tuning kit, I have saved 32grams. The kit was meant to save 18grams, so I presume the sanding on the rear mech saved me about 14grams.

With the shifters. The sanding didn't save that much. The overall weight saving with the BTP products is just under 30grams per shifter, the sanding saved around 10 grams.

Thanks,
Josh...

And that's just sanding off the clear coat?

DamoRider

by DamoRider

What do you think about those BTP carbon hoods. DO they fit the shifter well or are there gaps? It hard to see from the photos.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

@dj: you're off by a factor of 10 - its actually 50kHz (fundamental standing wave in a 3.3mm space). Still twice the good range of the human ear, but make the slots a bit bigger and it would come close.

jhpbk

by jhpbk

And that's just sanding off the clear coat?

Not just sanding the clear coat. Thats including the holes and slots drilled and milled out of the carbon as well.

What do you think about those BTP carbon hoods. DO they fit the shifter well or are there gaps? It hard to see from the photos.

They seem very good, there are a few gaps. And they where fairly hard to get on. My only concern is when bar tape goes under the hood. It will have to be incredibly neat, to stop it bulging out to much..

There are a few news bits that have arrived, i will try and get a few pictures later this evening.
Nothing major, but every little helps. Cranks should be here on Wednesday

Cheers
Josh..

jhpbk

by jhpbk

Ok... After a quite week or 2. We have an update.

A few new parts have come in.
Also, my plan for a Ruegammer frame has stopped. Instead i have found myself an Scott Addict SL frame-set, in medium this frame weighs in at 790grams. BUT obviously it will be sanded, this is a special project after all.

I am just about to order a THM Scapula F fork (The one with the integrated brake) which THM are doing in a matte finish for me. And a Fibula rear brake, again in Matte finish.

The great Mattias Hellore is doing me a completely new and prototype full carbon cassette, and some super light aluminium chain-rings.

Then.. all that's left is Rims, Tyres, Bars and Stem. Plus the other smaller bits..
Nearly there... :shock:

Anyway.. As for the new bits...

Firstly a lightning crankset.. BB30, 100BCD. The arms on there own weigh in at 319grams. I am thinking about sanding and re-finishing.. What are your thoughts?
The spider weighs in at 38grams.. But this definitely will be drilled out in the next few days.

Next up..
A BTP record tuned front mech. This weighs in at 56grams, i will order a full carbon mech, when they have stock.
But this will be tuned slightly more. And will be fine for now. I think i can get it down to sub 50grams.

Next bit, is pretty standard WW parts.
But just encase anybody wants to see the actual weigh saving of Powercordz here's a few pictures. The normal cables used, are the standard cables that come with SRAM red shifters.

Thanks again,
Josh..

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I'm excited to see this built up

Raxel

by Raxel

Mattias Hellore is a super guy. I'd love to take a look at the carbon cassette!!!
And AFAIK the scallula F is quite heavier than scapula sp tuned fork (~220~230gr) plus any lightweight brake. (~70gr w/o pads)

For powercordz weight I have some photos of them (on scale) in my other postings.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

I´m impressed to se the effort to make this happen.

Patience to sitting down and sanding a frame, that´s lightyears from my patience.

Yes I know I´m a friendly guy ,)
Experimental Prototype

BmanX

by BmanX

Mattias, can you update us with some information on a carbon cassette. I have been thinking of getting one done by Fibre-Lyte as the single speed cog that they build me held up pretty well. I think if the cogs are bonded to the spacer and they match up the spacing the same as a standard cassette, it will work well.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com