2011 CANYON ULTIMATE CF (new updates page 12)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

hcc

by hcc

farm_lim, very nice bike and detail report. can i ask for your opinion on zipp404? is 404 heavy for hilly road? what do you think about a pair of 303 or 303/404 combo? is 404 comfortable?

farm_lim

by farm_lim

hcc wrote:farm_lim, very nice bike and detail report. can i ask for your opinion on zipp404? is 404 heavy for hilly road? what do you think about a pair of 303 or 303/404 combo? is 404 comfortable?

thanks.
i dont think 1290g is heavy for climbing. if you cant climb, even a sub900 gram wheelset wont help. lots of threads already on 303 vs. 404.
i dont like 303/404 because i prefer same depth rims.
you cant buy fitness, but you can buy advantage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

farm_lim

by farm_lim

farm_lim wrote: no hubs yet.

got the hubs for this alu wheelbuild.
same as dati hubs but no logos.
261g.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Very, very nice Canyon.

Love the attention to detail and weight on what remains a sensible build.

Bravo.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

farm_lim

by farm_lim

got the wheels from the wheelbuilder yesterday.
1221g for affordable aluminum rims, taiwan cnc hubs and dt spokes. radial front, radial NDS rear, 2x DS rear.
i ride only on weekends and i have 2 other wheelsets to use so just decided to lace it with a light configuration.

quick pic with the spare wheels.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

very nice, i did a little more researching after seeing your wheel build. Which dt spokes did you use? It is insanely good value for the weight you get.

farm_lim

by farm_lim

jdc5r wrote:very nice, i did a little more researching after seeing your wheel build. Which dt spokes did you use?

thanks.
dt revolution.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

My favourite canon around here. Very brave going for white hoods with black saddle and bar tape, but it works perfectly with the frame and zipp decals. Made of awesome.

brik

by brik

Would it be possible to give me the spoke lenghts of this wheelbuild please.
Thanks

farm_lim

by farm_lim

thank you wassertreter!

brik wrote:Would it be possible to give me the spoke lenghts of this wheelbuild please.
Thanks

here you go. :wink:

Drk0n0s

by Drk0n0s

farm_lim wrote:got the spare wheelset from the wheelbuilder today. 1079g. 80g to go for sub1000g 50mm. ;)
unbranded foam-core 50mm rims, dt aerolite spokes, dt alu nipples, soul kozak hubs.

Nice job ;)
But i heve question, i am racing in uci races with weight limit so i don' t care pretty much about the weight. So i wanted to built a pair of 50mm unbrandedwheels (or maybe even 80mm for TT races) and i would like to know about the stifness of the wheel, the rolling resistance and the durability. For the weight i would be really glud with a sub 1300gr wheelset (for 50mm). I am thinking also for a BikeHubStore hubs as they are a lot cheaper (I have a low limit budget). I wonder if you can compare this wheelset with branded one or even to the Zipp 404! Thanks for your time and i'm sorry for the long text!

farm_lim

by farm_lim

Drk0n0s wrote:Nice job ;)
But i heve question, i am racing in uci races with weight limit so i don' t care pretty much about the weight. So i wanted to built a pair of 50mm unbrandedwheels (or maybe even 80mm for TT races) and i would like to know about the stifness of the wheel, the rolling resistance and the durability. For the weight i would be really glud with a sub 1300gr wheelset (for 50mm). I am thinking also for a BikeHubStore hubs as they are a lot cheaper (I have a low limit budget). I wonder if you can compare this wheelset with branded one or even to the Zipp 404! Thanks for your time and i'm sorry for the long text!

you already mentioned that you dont need wheels as light as this, but anyway ill try to answer as much as i can.
-as ive said in my previous posts, im not an elite level racer that is able determine minute stiffness variances between wheelsets. but yes its stiff, definitely stiffer than the 20mms ive used before with the same spokes and hubs. 404 feels more solid, but probably its just psychological because warranty is easier for zipps than getting these rims replaced. 404s have better braking too.
-rolling resistance varies with the tires so i dont have any idea
-durability- still havent had a long-term use of this wheels so cant comment.

bottomline, wheelbuilds like these shouldnt be your main wheels because as youve said, youre not concerned about the weight. so just get an arktechs 50mm or any other unbranded 50mm thats not foamcore and use with bikehubstore hubs or whatever cnc hubs out there you can get. those rims are more durable (of course a tad heavier) for your use.

Drk0n0s

by Drk0n0s

you already mentioned that you dont need wheels as light as this, but anyway ill try to answer as much as i can.
-as ive said in my previous posts, im not an elite level racer that is able determine minute stiffness variances between wheelsets. but yes its stiff, definitely stiffer than the 20mms ive used before with the same spokes and hubs. 404 feels more solid, but probably its just psychological because warranty is easier for zipps than getting these rims replaced. 404s have better braking too.
-rolling resistance varies with the tires so i dont have any idea
-durability- still havent had a long-term use of this wheels so cant comment.

bottomline, wheelbuilds like these shouldnt be your main wheels because as youve said, youre not concerned about the weight. so just get an arktechs 50mm or any other unbranded 50mm thats not foamcore and use with bikehubstore hubs or whatever cnc hubs out there you can get. those rims are more durable (of course a tad heavier) for your use.

Thanks a lot you 've really helped me!
p.s. These will be used only for races (10 or litlle more times a year) so they will not be pushed to their limits (i think :? )!!!

philhul

by philhul

Hi farm_lim,

I'm going to build the same wheels as your aluminium set. Where did you get the hubs from? I can see the dati ones on bikehubstore, but were yours cheaper as they aren't branded?

Thanks
Phil

farm_lim

by farm_lim

phil,
ebay. this item.
around the same price. i was after the no logo version actually.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com