English Custom Steel Integrated di2 USB - Updated Pics pg20

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Tallboy

by Tallboy

Do it, internal di2 is magic

Don't worry about the 1 inch steerer- for one thing eddy mercyx put out more power than most folk here added together and I doubt he flexed the steerer much
I ride a 1 inch steerer ti rsp Raleigh, bearing in mind Im a track sprinter so I use it for standing starts and sprints, plus I weight 92 kilos, I still don't have issues with it

1 1/8 is clearly marginally stiffer..but would you notice/ need it? 1 inch looks better!
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

musket

by musket

Until you need a replacement fork or want to swap one in for any reason.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Seamus

by Seamus

Should look excellent chromed!

I still have my chromed BMW from the 80's - I still need to get it IDed, but it's either a Supergoose or a Raleigh Burner Pro (I think). Getting it re-chromed & building it up again to play with :D
Seamus

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

OK.... internal di2 it is.

Fork and stem are still undecided. I have a THM Scapula SP Tuned fork that is the same geometry as the proposed custom fork. So I may go with that. Or I may go with the custom fork just to keep the aesthetic theme I am looking for.... but with 1 1/8" steerer so I have the option of swapping.

I have M5 brakes which I love, but am considering EE. The EE brakes seem to look more compact and would probably look better on the bike. But I have concerns about the longevity of so many pivots...

BmanX

by BmanX

This is going to be sick. Very very sick.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Custom steel frame. Check.
Chrome plated. Check.
Shimano Di2. Check.
Custom steel fork in chrome. Undecided. Maybe THM Scapula SP Tuned?
Custom steel stem in chrome? Undecided.
D/A 7900 Cranks? Undecided. Maybe stick with THM Clavicula and Fibrelyte.
M5 brakes? Undecided. Still considering EE.
I also have a sub-800 gram wheelset in the works... for under $1000.00 with name brand components. Rims and hubs are in hand, just trying to decide on spokes.

wisgliebau

by wisgliebau

Get a steel fork.

a.davis12

by a.davis12

dont care about the fork. if the front end is 1" get a custom stem. 1 1.8 stems look bad on 1" steerers.

redbeard

by redbeard

I think the THM will look a little too bowlegged with a steel frame. Try to find the old LOOK HSC straight blade fork or go custom.
A custom stem would tie it all in too.
I miss the Jerk because your stem is still too short.
Your saddle is probably too high as well.
Oh, and your cleats too far forward.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'm really leaning toward the custom fork/stem with a 1" steerer. This bike is NOT going to be a true weight weenie... but I think I can keep it pretty light for a steel bike. If I can keep it under 7kg I will be reasonably happy.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

So I am slowly accumulating parts for the new build. Some I already have. But I am thinking about the color scheme of the bike. My intention is to go with chrome plating for the frame (and fork and stem if I go that route). Wheels are going to be low profile carbon rims on black Tune hubs. So there is little room for color... headset, top cap, spoke nipples, cables, saddle, bar tape, skewers, various bolts. I like green... not the crazy anti-freeze green, but the Chris King/Salsa green. If only Nokon or I-Links came in that color. Maybe blue instead? I could easily go with black for everything else and it would still look classy, but I want a splash of color.

mrfish

by mrfish

I would go for green. First not too many bikes have it, then you can keep it mostly black / silver then add just a few green accents, say the builder's name [I note you didn't reply to my guess on the builder] ;-) and maybe a few Tune bits.

KWalker

by KWalker

Tallboy wrote:Do it, internal di2 is magic

Don't worry about the 1 inch steerer- for one thing eddy mercyx put out more power than most folk here added together and I doubt he flexed the steerer much
I ride a 1 inch steerer ti rsp Raleigh, bearing in mind Im a track sprinter so I use it for standing starts and sprints, plus I weight 92 kilos, I still don't have issues with it

1 1/8 is clearly marginally stiffer..but would you notice/ need it? 1 inch looks better!

I hate quotes like this. Yah, he rode a 1 inch steerer, but there was obviously a reason that the standard changed over time and proved to be a better size for torsionally stiff front triangles. He also rode friction shifters and traditional geo so are those advancements too much for the rest of us too? Sean Kelly rode a Vitus so does that mean they had tons of structural integrity.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

rustychain

by rustychain

The increase in steerer tube specs had more to do with carbon construction issues vs steel. Same with bottom brackets if your interested. Track bikes are still made with inch steerer tubes. Last I heard track bikes tended to be very stiff.

I strongly suggest the OP consider stainless steel (XCr or 953) over chrome. Chrome is heavy, chips, pits. Modern stainless is stiff, strong and light.

I am clueless why you would want an ISP on a road bike. Even more so on a steel bike.
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Stainless is an option depending on the tubeset and the ride characteristics. But I think plating will win out and, as discussed previously, should last with care. Virtually any finish, paint, powdercoat, anodizing, or polishing loses its luster and becomes scratched, pitted, and scarred over time. I could always replate the frame when the time comes, or finish it in some other way.

I'll confess to a bit of vanity in this build. While I am a weight weenie, ultra light weight is not the goal of this bike. This bike is being designed for all-day club rides, centuries, and pleasure riding... no racing or anything competitive. The chrome is for a bit of nostalgia and, frankly, I like the look of the ISP. Performancewise it probably gains me nothing but I think the look of a shiny chrome frame with ISP and matching chrome fork and stem would just really look cool. I am also looking into some tubular steel cranks (Sweet Wings or similar) to throw into the mix... also chromed.

As for the 1" fork... I still have not made up my mind. I think it would look better aesthetically, especially with the custom fork, but I am worried that I'm starting to get too heavy for comfort with that much steel. I'm really not concerned about flex... I won't be racing it and I am a relatively light rider, so I doubt I would notice any flex. But there is time to sort that out.