English Cycles build UPDATE PG-10

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

BmanX

by BmanX

I have been wanting to do a custom build for a very long time and after looking around for a while I decided that I really liked what Rob English was doing and I really missed riding a steel bike. So with everything settled I contacted Rob and here we go.

I asked Rob if it was alright to share the pictures which he was more than willing to do. He is doing some cool things on the build that I have not seen yet and you can see one of the custom parts in the first post.

First one shows the raw tubing - from left to right: Unmodified dropouts, BB shell, headtube stock, straight gauge seattube, 3/8" tubing for seatstays, 1-3/8" downtube, 1-1/8" toptube, S3 chainstays.

Next picture is lightning the BB shell; similar process for externally butting the headtube and seattube.

Third picture shows a modified Thomson Elite seatpost with the Masterpiece that will have the same treatment for my bike.
Needs to be installed first then saddle after. I think the first time will be a bit of work but after it is set to my height, should be alright. Internal bolt will be 4mm Ti and I will use my carbon cradle and top matched up with Ti bolts. Gives 20mm of height adjustment.

More pictures to follow once I have others. I do not want to bug Rob for more pictures of the build as I would rather have it in hand that bug him.

The original thought was to build up the English as an all around bike for very long hours in the saddle and keeping the SLC as my WW build.

I am torn a bit right now in the direction of the build. I picked up some 2010 Force Shifters and a RD and have everything else to go on the build with the exception of some 26.0 drop bars. The direction that I want to go in might change depending on the weight of the finished frame. My thinking is to take all of the WW build parts off of the SLC and put them on this frame and then make the SLC a more aero build but still using drops and adding on some HED Clip-Lites.

Making the English build as light as possible and then making the SLC more aero. If I do go this direction I believe that both bikes would then be around 14 lbs and have more purpose. Still up in the air.
Last edited by BmanX on Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5960g/13.13 lbs

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

I can see a nice project coming up :D Amazing to see actual precess of building a frame from scratch. I wish I could use my machining skills to do such wonders :wink: If I understand correctly, you are about to make an ISP out of cut Thompson seatpost?

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

by Weenie

BmanX

by BmanX

The frame will be an ISP and the Thomson will be internal and allow for 20mm of height adjustment. It will be +/- 10mm each way.

More to come when the new pictures arrive.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

mrfish

by mrfish

Rob is a top notch Engineer. Check out his website for lots of stuff on his lightweight and aero frames, immense bike fleet and recumbent building.

As well as buying some of his wheels, I also used to race against him while at University.

durkonion

by durkonion

Do you have any more pictures of your "seat post"? I assume it works like a quill stem. I really like this idea.

Junk Mile King

by Junk Mile King

Keep us updated on that seatpost mod. I've not seen one like this before.

BmanX

by BmanX

I will also be tuning this with a carbon cradle top and bottom as well as ti bolts so it should be pretty light. I am currently using the carbon top and bottom cradles on my daily driver with great success.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BmanX

by BmanX

New pictures today.

Custom butted and machined headtube (cutouts for the tube joints and the cable 'shroud')

extensively machined BB shell with stainless cable guide tubes brazed in

Thomson seatpost head (currently at 130g, I have a ti bolt coming for the wedge, then you have the carbon craddle for it - interestingly my external caps are lighter, even though made of steel, coming in just over 100g generally)

the front triangle jigged up ready for brazing

It is interesting about the internal seat post being heavier than the external however, I can see it. With that being said, I think with the modification that I will be doing, I should be able to get it below 100g I hope. I will weigh the parts in the garage later tonight to see what I can expect.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

aham23

by aham23

this is truely a "build" thread. very cool.

Timo

by Timo

I absolutely love it! :thumbup:
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

BmanX

by BmanX

Should have some more pictures shortly.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

LouisN

by LouisN

WoW!!!!

What an entertaining thread !!!!

:beerchug:

Are you making the frame, or Rob's making it for you :noidea: ?

What' the tubing ?

Louis :)

BmanX

by BmanX

Rob is making it as I do not have the skill set to pull this off.

I am not sure what the tubing is actually but I can double check and report back once I know.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BmanX

by BmanX

Here are some more pictures from the build.

I think that Thomson posts just don't have a very light head (which you will adjust with your upgrade pieces).The weight breakdown is this:

Upper and lower craddles and bolts = 70g
Post and wedge = 38g
Stainless wedge bolt = 10g (so guess titanium will be about 6g)
Aluminium insert pieces for wedge bolt = 14g

So I only added 24g (less the weight of the holes!)

Bit more progress (pics attached) - the mainframe is now brazed up, with the cable guide inside the headtube and the holes drilled for the eAntry points. Nice clean run, the cable threaded through quite easily. Onto the rear end next.

I guess the cats out of the bag in how the cables will be run now. I am trying to keep this as clean as possible and Rob and I thought that behind the stem would be the cleanest possible location for the entry. Keeping in mind that the cable runs will be totally internal even for the rear derailleur as it will run in the chainstay and exit at the last possible location.

Side shot of the head tube with the additional gusset to hide the cable run into the down tube. Not sure where the rear brake is entering but I think it is on the side of the top tube but exiting directly behind the seat tube. EDIT: the rear cable will enter behind the shifter cable entry point.

The cable in the picture is for the FD as the RD will run inside the chainstay. Funny looking at the BB this way with no chainstays yet.

Man do I love this!
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BmanX

by BmanX

I found some time to weight the seat post parts tonight and this is what I found.

Stock upper and lower cradle 50g
Stock bolts 22g

Carbon upper and lower cradle 24g
Ti bolts 12g - will order these from Toronto Cycles in the next week.

So a total weight saving of 36g on the post to bring down the weight to 96g which will be nice.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

by Weenie