Tsunami aluminum crit bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

0nelove

by 0nelove

I was going to wait until the build was final, but I got antsy. Here she is:

The final build will include a KCNC Ti post, KCNC skewers, Deda Newton Deep Drop Bars, Edge 1.0 fork, Edge 1.68 w/dt240 hubs, and King bottle cages, but none of those items made it in time (and the bars were ordered wrong). Also wanted to try for black crank arms, but couldn't find any in time (wanted it built before a certain race.) I'm considering wet sanding the fork and seatpost if I can trade for some black crank arms.

Anyhow, the frame is really pretty rad. I hadn't ridden aluminum since a mid 2000s Giant (can't remember the model) and that thing isn't even in the same league, like not even close. My other current bike is a 2010 SuperSix with SR11. The Tsunami is very stiff in all the right places, pretty light (haven't weighed it yet), and feels very lively and fun to ride under my feet. I'd prefer more compliance if I was going to ride century on it, but that's to be expected and what I asked for: stiff!

I'm really very impressed with the characteristics of it. You can't really tell from the pictures, but the top tube and down tube are both sort of tear shaped, so the area that is contacting the head tube is pretty huge, and consequently the front end stiffness is the best I've felt on a non "high-tech carbon" bike. I realize it was a dumb thing to do, but I felt very confident and comfortable riding it in a few races without having been on it at all. In fact, I never once second guessed going with it instead of my everyday bike. I don't have exact weights, but I would say it's right near 16lbs as pictured.

Dealing with Joesph was a great experience. He was open to whatever I had to say, had good suggestions, and built me the bike I asked for in the quoted time for the quoted price. It was the first time I've ever had ANY custom thing completed when it was promised (that goes for everything from guitars to other non-bike related sporting goods). He sent pictures, geometry drawings, and updates without me ever having to ask for them. Really is a top-notch builder.

And all custom for $700 ($650 plus $50 for BB30).

Component review: Chorus 11- Wow. I gotta say that I'm a little shocked at how good it really is. I would say it's 98% of SR11 in performance (it feels ever so slightly less crisp, but that could be because it's brand new, I don't know). And of course it weighs more.

Scott Addict fork- I was planning on only using it until the Edge 1.0 showed up, but now I'm considering keeping it and selling the Edge. Stiff, comfortable, and everything a fork should be. I think it weighed 297 before cut.
Last edited by 0nelove on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

airsoft510

by airsoft510

Sweet build. I love aluminum. The black anodizing with light sloping top tube looks great too.

Whats the seat post angle though? Looks pretty slack.

doubleD

by doubleD

Looks great! wondering about that ST angle as well...

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

congrats & welcome to the club! :thumbup:

0nelove

by 0nelove

doubleD wrote:Looks great! wondering about that ST angle as well...

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to getting it done.

ST is 73.5, I think it's just the camera angle that makes it look laid back. The geometry is basically a Cannondale geometry with a shorter HT.

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

is that a matte black finish or gloss?

helpful hint: if it's really new (sounds like it is), let that paint cure for awhile (a month or so) before putting any stickers on there (such as frame protection stickers). i had a very unfortunate oops on mine happen the day i got it (which was 4 days post-clearcoat)...

0nelove

by 0nelove

jz4nyc wrote:is that a matte black finish or gloss?

I originally wanted to go with a matte black, but Joe said that they weren't very durable and recommended getting it clear coated. So I agreed, but asked that it not be a high-gloss finish. So, the answer is, it's has a clear coat, but it's not glossy.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Looks fantastic!!!

And I would dare say that BB30 SiSl's + chorus group would = close to the weight of a full SR group.

Would love to see how you felt on it after a century.

Internalcon

by Internalcon

I pulled this off the Tsunami website and according to google 2.1 pounds = 0.952543977 kilograms. Under 1000g for aluminum! Has anyone weighed this frame???
Attachments
Frame Geometry.jpg

0nelove

by 0nelove

Internalcon wrote:I pulled this off the Tsunami website and according to google 2.1 pounds = 0.952543977 kilograms. Under 1000g for aluminum! Has anyone weighed this frame???

I think that's for the scandium frame, but I'll try to get around to weighing the whole thing, and from there it should be fairly easy to deduce what the frame weighs since there aren't any exotic/un-verified weight components. Either way, for a crit/circuit race bike, it's plenty light enough. And that's the beauty of a custom build, if you wanted lighter, it could probably be done specifically for you (though of course at the cost of stiffness).
Last edited by 0nelove on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

they're light enough that the only excuse is in the engine, not the bike... :thumbup: