My No Saint MaxAri R Carbon 7940g

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

What an awesome bike :) I love the clean black frame. How is it riding it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elasto

by elasto

mtbiker wrote:Sorry, My mistake :oops:
Then I agree with you that the FSA system is really stupid. And when you front rings are out of business you have the change the hole crankset to get lighter ? No other ring options?

Only FSA and Controltech makes chainrings for this crankset. I haven't found anything else. When i wear my chainrings out I will just sell the crankset and bottom bracket and buy a new crankset. Maybe XX even though it's heavier but im not trying to make the bike much lighter anymore, I just want something durable.
the_marsbar wrote:What an awesome bike :) I love the clean black frame. How is it riding it?

Thanks! I love the looks of the frame too and the bike rides amazing! It's super fast on hardpack terrain and upphills. I just have to improve my technique on downhills and very rough terrain. The bike is so light that i feel it's a bit restless in the very tricky terrain and you need a lot of skill to ride it fast in there but when you know what to do it's very fast. Just did a 60km marathon race last weekend and for me there was a lot of very difficult terrain and the problem for me was the technique. I just have to practice more. It's different with fullys when you can just ride trough allmost everything and you don't need to pick up the best line allways.

elasto

by elasto

New stem:

- Syntace F109 100mm (113g)

Some new parts that are on the way for me:

- Shimano DA 7900 34.9mm clamp (didn't buy the braze-on one because the carbon clamps are ridiculously overpriced)
- Extralite Ultrastar
- Matchmaker knuckle for my Pushloc lever
- Extralite Ultragrips

I also ordered an Innolite bar from r2bikes but they managed to mess up my order completely. I recieved an email about my parts that they have been sent. After allmost 2 weeks I emailed them back asking the tracking code for my package so I could find out where it is. I got an answer that they have had some kind of mistake in the system and there was no Innolite bars available even it said in the webpage they are in stock. He also said that Innolite doesn't even produce the bars at the moment. So they didn't even send my package to me even though the email said it has been sent. And no information about the error had come to me before I emailed them. I left the bar from the order and now the rest of the stuff should be this time on the way for me. Very strange behaviour in my opinion. I will order a Ritchey Superlogic carbon flatbar soon. They should be around 112g in 580mm length and OS clamping.
Attachments
stem.jpg

elasto

by elasto

Front Derailleur: Dura Ace 7900 34.9mm clamp (78g)
Attachments
fd.jpg

elasto

by elasto

New parts:

- Matchmaker knuckle for Pushloc
- Extralite Ultrastar (14g with Tune topcap and bolt)
- Extralite Ultragrips (19g with end plugs)
Attachments
matchmaker.jpg
ultrastar.jpg
ultragrips.jpg

elasto

by elasto

- Ritchey Superlogic Carbon UD Flatbar 580mm OS (118g)

The bar came in a little overweight. Supposed to be something like 112g but it's still 30g lighter than my previous Syntace bar.

I ended up to remove the remote lockout from my fork after all. I don't need it when riding offroad where this bike belongs. When adjusted right, the SID performs great even without a lockout. So here is a weight of the fork without remote lockout and steerer cut to approx 170mm.

Rock Shox SID World Cup 2010 (1370g)
Attachments
bar.jpg
rs_sid_worldcup_2010.jpg

elasto

by elasto

I didn't get the DA 7900 front derailleur work properly because my bad Q-Factor of the crappy FSA cranks. There was not enough outward throw to eliminate chain rub of the outer cage when using big ring. I should have used a dremel to cut some material off so the cage can move further but I didn't have the time and effort to do it now. I will leave it to my spare part box for future if some day I wan't to tune it. Instead I installed a Sram XX front derailleur which works great. I love how fast this derailleur shifts. The performance is just so good that I will take the weight penalty from it.

- Sram XX front derailleur (120g)

The bike weighs in now at 8080g and because I am a weight weenie I can't leave it like that. :D

Some thoughts about next updates:

I will have to consider getting a 11-34 cassette for really long and hilly races and rides. The 11-34 XTR weighs about 20g more than my 11-32 XTR cassette so it's just a little step back in weight.

- Sram X.0 gripshifters
- Formula R1 brakes

What do you guys think, will I get below 8kg with these updates? The cassette brings the weight to about 8100g so the shifters and brakes should weight over 100g less than the ones i have now (Avid Juicy Ultimate with 160mm Ashima and X.0 Triggers with matchmaker). Possible? I plan to use the new brakes with the standard Formula R1 160mm rotors.

BTW: I will never say again that my bike is now finished because it never is! :D
Attachments
fd2.jpg

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Nice upgrades Elasto,

Keep em comming!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Nihoj

by Nihoj

VERY nice bike!! and some pretty sweet upgrades to!

What do you think about the frame? because i might have to buy one to :wink:

And is it just my, or have it been on Cykelgalleri.dk for some time ago?

elasto

by elasto

The frame has been awesome! It's light and stiff. Maybe not as flexible as the more expensive ones like Cannondale Flash but good enough for me. Have taken a lot off beating so far and seems to hold up.

I haven't put it in Cykelgalleri.dk so I can't say why it would be there.

BTW: New brakes coming (Formula R1 Carbon SUPER BATMAN) with 160mm Formula rotors. Also X.0 gripshifters. Hoping to get under 8kg with these. Though I will have to change to a heavier 11-34 XTR cassette so let's see what the weight will be. Didn't want the full titanium ones. I think they are not durable enough. Also ordered a new KMC X10SL chain with the cassette just in case because I think my current chain is too short for the bigger cassette. If not, then I have one for spare when this one wears out.

elasto

by elasto

From Italy with love:

- Formula R1 Carbon (616g with everything, uncut)
Attachments
formula_front.jpg
formula_rear.jpg
formula_rotor1.jpg
formula_rotor2.jpg
formula_r1.jpg

Nihoj

by Nihoj

hmm... the pics from, the start, the one with crossmax, has been there..
but whatever, Nice with the new brakes, it will look pretty nice :o)

And thanks for the info, about the frame! I wil buy one :thumbup:

jacob-evers

by jacob-evers

Last edited by jacob-evers on Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

elasto

by elasto

Yes, many things could be lighter. Even YOUR brakes could be lighter. I want to use the Formula rotors for now. Otherwise i would have not ordered the brakes with them. I allready have a set of Ashima 160mm rotors but they are not any lighter than the Formulas. The difference is about +-3g. Maybe in the future I switch to a lighter 140mm rotor in rear. Im not interrested in changing the bolts to titanium ones at least for now. The bike is light allready and these will do the job. Just enjoying riding the bike now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elasto

by elasto

- Sram X.0 Gripshifters (205g with uncut cables)

Soon we will see if this thing weighs under 8 kilo at last!
Attachments
shifters.jpg