She's Not Wasted! An Addict Emerges from Rehab (5235 gr.)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Tinea - yeah, it's off The Sounds new album which I've been listing to a lot this spring after loving their older stuff ("Dying to Say This to You" is the other I know but I think there is one more?). Some good tracks on Crossing the Rubicon. As for the second song... I thought about using another The Sounds tune but it seemed tacky... but then I ran out of ideas :noidea: The classic German/EuroPop lyrics fit and it's almost so bad that it's funny and cool :D ... I'll post some updated (better) videos on some rainy spring days.

The "mate" that almost got hit by the "professional celebrity sports car driver" (... judging from his speed his MUST be good right, anyone recognize him? F1? Nascar? LeMans?) was actually someone I don't know... I don't know any of the other guys in the video. I was just riding along minding my own business like a good tourist and the Corratec rider and Burgos rider caught up to me (while taking photos :oops: ) at the start of a long 10 mile (~ 50 minute, 6% average, 7-10% in most of the video) climb so I thought I would "inconspicuously" ride behind them... and then we caught the next guy who they seemed to know. Then we caught 2 more guys (also on local teams I guess) right when you see the racecar driver pass by. The latter 2 guys faded off quickly and then the 3rd guy drifted back, then the 2 pro guys had to check a tire or something and pulled off to check on it 15 minutes before the top. I'll try to make better videos next time as I have some better footage.

As for the centuries, I'm not sure... I had a flat local route that was pretty easy to do in 5:15-5:45 depending on the wind. I actually was taking graduate classes on the weekends and working full-time (but had mornings free) on the weekdays... and I was in Spain for the summer and my regular route included a Cat 1 climb from the Vuelta that pretty much prevented any centuries for 2 months, but it was a great climb.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

swimmingskibble

by swimmingskibble

Holy tape job batman! You could lose another 10 grams by not using the whole roll next time. J/k The bike looks good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sfcyclist1

by sfcyclist1

Nice ride.. I also have an Addict but an R4. Awesome the weight you got it down to with those wheels! I thought I did well with my R3 SL with EA90's but your's is even lighter!

Are you sure you shouldn't be riding a 58cm? That seatpost is pretty far up there. LOL.. or you have a short torso? I notice lack of setback seatpost and it's somewhat forward..

jvanv8

by jvanv8

@swimmingskibble - in the spirit of reducing waste, I think I did use the whole roll (bonus points??) - and then electrical tape to hide the red color of the 3T Ergonova Team. Deda tape is pretty light though.

@sfcyclist1 - re: frame size. Very true, by the looks of the seatpost you'd think it was too small, but I have long legs with a short torso (~ 180cm with 89-90cm inseam) (the reach is perfect with a 110 or 100mm stem). By raising the seat so high, the setback from the BB increases as you raise the post, so adding additional setback is often overkill in my opinion. The setup is so that my knees align with the pedals and bb correctly. I've had similar geometry on my bikes for the past 15 years or so. I use a (perhaps overkill) 350mm post with extra length past the "Minimum Insertion" line to prevent damage to the frame.
My Cycling Blog

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Same geo for 15 years?

You don't look much older than 25, max! :shock:

sfcyclist1

by sfcyclist1

wow.. you got some long legs.. i'm a tad taller but 33.5 inseam or 85cm.

I was debating about posting my Addict on here but it's not a WW bike at 16.6 pounds. I purposely built it up that way to get a good work out. Then when I ride my R3SL, it feels great! Most of that are due to the wheels at over 1900 grams.. Crazy thing is your bike is over 3.5 lbs lighter!

jvanv8

by jvanv8

@Tinea - not old, but not that young either, 31

@sfcyclist1 - I think the things that made the biggest difference were switching to SRAM (from older Ultegra), KCNC brakes, and Zipp crankset.
My Cycling Blog

worstshotever

by worstshotever

Jvanv - How did the KCNC brakes hold up on those serious decents? Have you run them without SwissStop pads? I'm considering a pair (I'll need the green pads since I've got alloy wheels), but I'm not sure I want to sacrifice stopping power.

So I can't get enough of that video (notwithstanding that 2d song!). I rode 62 miles yesterday, with only about 4000 feet of climbing (on my 19lb LeMond) and I've got to admit I'm hurting today; I can't imagine what I'd feel like after tackling some of those Mallorcan climbs.

I did see the picture on the top cap; you should know that I've seen her on the back flaps of a few trucks as well. I think she gets around.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

worstshotever wrote:I did see the picture on the top cap; you should know that I've seen her on the back flaps of a few trucks as well. I think she gets around.
That's it, we're through!

The KCNC brakes work well for me as I've had them for more than 2 years now - the stock pads were downright scary but I was very relieved that they have good power with other pads. (used with Dura-Ace pads on alu wheelset with good results, and Reynolds pads for carbon wheels with good results). The Reynolds pads are hard to come by so I just use the Swisstop yellow pads now. They hold up well on just about all descents although not so great in the wet - probably more to do with carbon rims than the brakes themselves.

The video was made mostly from 2 rides (106 miles with 11500 ft climbing, and a 90 mile ride with 8600 ft of climbing) - I wanted to try latex tubes but I heard that carbon rims could get too hot with such descents especially in the hairpin turns.

Metric century with 4000 ft of climbing is pretty hilly!
My Cycling Blog

sfcyclist1

by sfcyclist1

Must be climbing season. I was did a 5k ft climb 55 mile ride yesterday.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I saw the sad aftermath of your crash. If a busted shifter is the worst part, then you came out awfully lucky. Nice save.

So, what's the game plan now? I think it's a golden opportunity to buy more WW-approved gear!

* Replace the busted shifter with another Force? (Are you already on '10 Force?)
* Replace both shifters with Red?
* Upgrade to SR11?!
* Upgrade to Di2?!

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Actually there was not a crash - just riding along in the 15t and did an upshift. Not very dramatic but that is what happened
My Cycling Blog

trialmx

by trialmx

Nice Vid! Nice Ride! what make/model of camera did you use?

jvanv8

by jvanv8

The camera I use is ContourHD 1080p (see here)
My Cycling Blog

jvanv8

by jvanv8

A few updates now that it's half way through the summer. So far I've logged/flogged 5,700 miles (9,200 km) on this bike this year and managed 40 century rides and it's been pretty comfortable. Here are the changes:

Bars: 3T Ergonova LTD 42cm (181 grams on scale) [20 gram reduction]
Wheelset: Reynolds DV46C UL (1359 grams on scale) [155 gram reduction]
Stem: Extralite OS (90 grams on scale) [17 gram reduction]
Pedal mod: BTP alu bowties (14 grams on scale) [25 gram reduction]

Also testing out the ALU cassette to see how durable it is since I have 2. Additional gold bling gives me loads of street cred in sketchy neighborhoodz.

My Cycling Blog

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com