Moderator: Moderator Team
Hmm, maybe with the right beverages I could persuade Frankie to fly in and do the honors...
Such a thing exists?
I'll be happy with an ugly team frame unless a viable option presents itself...
In which case I'll be very very happy.
If it weren't for the yellow... and the fact that I don't look a bit like Cav...
But thanks Tinea, I like laziness as much as style so this may have to work...
It took about 8 weeks to arrive and it appears to be a defect. The steerer tube is too large for any known headset diameter. It's also quite a bit different in the construction judging from the weights:
(Notice the gap in the frame/fork after a failed attempt at trying to install the headset)
Weight: 938 grams (with hanger):
389 grams for the fork:
= 1327 gr. frame + fork
= 1126 gr. frame + fork (supposedly these are suppose to be the same framesets... HMX, Standard BB, Standard Seatpost, Size L 56)
There are definitely some big hidden differences that only show up on the scales and with calipers.
Not sure what will happen now.
but it was only a matter of time before I started feeling sorry for it.
So off it went off Calfee in California for some Hollywood-style rehab
On arrival, there was some hesitation that it would be the "same ol' Addict"
One small change was that they had to paint over the "Addict" logo on the seat tube, which I was never fond of anyway. They actually called me to confirm it would be ok to do so. The alternative was that it would just say "ADD" on the non-drive side and "DICT" on the drive-side:
You also notice from this angle the slight bulge of the additional carbon wrap (and where they moved/hid the "Size L" sticker ):
Up Next... the new build...
The levers were up first and I found a pair on feeBay that had good close-up images showing the terror and warfare that the levers had been through. The scratched clear coat produced a good deal:
I'll post more info and photos on the blog next week on the process but you get the idea (and yes, I was too lazy to disassemble the levers from the hood bodies):
Levers after removing decals & refinishing:
Next, I wanted to try BTP/MCFK/Tune carbon clamps as I've used on my old Force levers. I heard they were not compatible with the new Red levers and this proved to be true:
First, the hole had to be enlarged to accommodate the older style nut/bolt. I got better with the dremel on the second lever, but it really doesn't matter as long as it's just large enough. I also backed the bolt with a washer eventually for good measure. The photo is of the nut half-way inserted.
The back of the lever required even more removal of material to accommodate the carbon band's larger width:
Here are the almost-finished levers before 1 last touch-up coat (it's a poor photo but good enough for a scale-shot, I'll post more later on the carbon finish - it's quite good despite this photo)
A very poor photo, but I sanded the logos off the derailleur cage and replace the back plate with a fibre-lyte model. The pulleys were replaced with XX-Light and the stock Philips-head limit screws were replaced with hex (identical in weight & appearance, but hold up better over time)
Basic, as it should be.
prendrefeu wrote:Félicitations! So what's the new (repaired) frame weight? Did they manage to keep it light?
Zut alors! Forgot that critical bit of info:
The original was 814 grams (scroll up a few posts).
After repair with a full carbon wrap, repainting and clear coat:
Continuing with the black theme:
For brakes, I've been really happy with the KCNC set over the years but wanted to try something different since this is sort of a fun build anyway.
Found a set of used 2012.5 Gravitas on eBay,
I like the fit of the 3T Ergonova but I could do without the silver paint:
So this was sanded too. I know some people like to start with 400 or 800 grit... but I'm impatient and I like the shock of and old raspy sheet of 80-grit on new gear:
The clamping area of the 3T carbon bars is thick and coarse. I decided not to sand this fearing it would interfere with the ability of the stem to clamp properly.
But this left an awkward "grey area" on either side of the stem. I tried to see what it would look like if I colored it with marker or paint... but it just looked amateur (the blue tape is for the next step):
So I re-sanded, and left a little grey stripe in the middle to match the grey stripe on the headtube of the frame:
It looks nasty at this point. Final photos will have to wait since I don't seem to have any right now.
Seatpost 350mm x 31.8:
Wheels. With a solid and dependable pair of Reynolds clinchers & tubulars I figured I could have some fun with this too.
MadFiber clinchers with stealth stickers and ceramic bearings:
Very surprised to find the included skewers where not boat-anchor turbo-trainer skewers...
Hopefully will finish up next time with final touches and maybe a daylight photo.
- Similar Topics
- Last post
- 8 Replies
- 1219 Views
Last post by AddictSL58
Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:03 pm
- 0 Replies
- 523 Views
Last post by rainerhq
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:37 am
- 3 Replies
- 1110 Views
Last post by Finist
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:56 am
- 0 Replies
- 500 Views
Last post by stevec1975
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:02 pm
- 2 Replies
- 957 Views
Last post by TonyM
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:15 am