by kgt

Remove the Reynolds decals and you 're set! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Think so? I happily removed half of the stickers years ago, but stubbornly left these on. A couple are now starting to peel at the edges. :noidea:

Guess it's one or two more grams that can be saved...

BmanX

by BmanX

When I stripped my EDGE/ENVE it saved 8g :wink:
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

benolium

by benolium

Congrats on the new weight! great job. It looks like your custom paint on the leavers is holding up nicely too.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Now that I've got some miles on my Madfibers clinchers (1304g), here's my early observations based on my modestly calibrated arse and in comparison to my Reynolds Assaults (saved just over .4lbs) and Attacks (saved just over .2lbs):

* From a stop, the MF's don't feel feel any faster
* Once underway, they accelerate faster
* Definitely hold speed better, putting me 1-2 gears ahead of my usual pace
* Distinct yet gentle, controllable pushes in crosswinds and from buffeting from passing cars
* Cool "swooshing" sound when I'm kicking out of saddle and throwing the bike from side-to-side just like I remember from an old pair of DV46UL tubies
* Definitely some unconcerning hollow sounds emanating from the wheels underway when I roll over small obstacles plus what I think are pinging/popping noises from the spokes loading and unloading when I'm kicking out of the saddle (some MF users have the same)
* I'm not saying fit and finish is poor, but calling these an industrial look is kind … these won't win any beauty contests

Looking at these pics, I clearly need to de-badge them - I'll do it once I'm sure that I'm keeping them. I still think my bike looks 43x better with the mid-depth Attacks (32mm) than the super deep Madfibers (60/66mm). Oh, the things we'll do for saving a gram or three!

Sadly, I went back to butyl tubes (Schwalbe 80mm super lights, 79g/ea) because my earlier experiment with valve extensions went so poorly (I admit probably my fault). It's been nice not having to pump up the tires before each and every ride, but I miss the thought of riding latex.

Garmin 500 bar mount from Raceware Direct:
* Love it and won't go back to the OEM stem mount again despite the ~13g weight penalty
* Took some mental adjustments (just my mind playing tricks on me with the dramatically different new mounting location)
* Holds the Garmin tightly and installation is a complete non-issue

Aicans brake cables w/EE brakes and Alligator Mini I-Link shifter cables:
* Aicans powered EE brakes are everything they're supposed to be - powerful and easy to modulate. I don't miss my SRAM Red brakes at all; not one bit.
* It's been non-stop cable stretch with the Alligator Mini I-Links requiring near constant fiddling whereas my Yokozuna shift cables were a "set and forget." The Mini's are "out" next time I need bar tape. Bring on the Yokozunas - I'm going back!

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sat May 07, 2016 5:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

You can't be serious! Looks good... but... MadFibers? Ultremo ZX? Aicans?
I swear this is either some form of identity theft or twins separated at birth.
My recent purchases for my '09 Addict - haven't updated on WW yet but it's almost done:

even the photos look similar)
I got the stealth version though with ceramic bearings - shweew - something different!
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I might be a stalker. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

You got the latest hub design, ceramic bearings, better stickers and came out 15g lighter on top of all that - plus you're a better cinematographer than me, so you've got that going for you.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Ok, I thought yours might be standard bearings at first... but what's with the silver vs black freehub? 6 grams and some anodizing I suspect.
And I should point out that you are doing it all wrong with the Reynolds Blue pads... I know because I am also doing it wrong with Reynolds Blue pads. Maybe we should both switch to the required cork pads for the lawyers watching. But I really bet the Blue perform better and have just as low temps, so I'm not rushing.
Have you blown off a tire bead yet? I tried to run lightweight butyl tubes and had a blow out once. The achilles heal of this rim I think. Maybe your standard Schwalbes are a better option. With the right tire/tube combo it probably isn't an issue. I have a hors d'oeuvre platter of several fresh tube varieties on the way to sample.

Did you install the 'wheel balancers'? I only figured out what they were until this weekend... 2 months later.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

No balancing weights needed so far. I wonder if that's mainly for the much lighter tubies.

Yes, I only use the MF-supplied brake pads. I wouldn't dare use other pads. It's by the book for me. :smartass: Here's hoping MF makes allowances for better alternatives. My only experience with cork pads (original Zipp Tangentes) left me feeling they only moderated speeds and lightly at that.

It's been Schwalbe "extralight" 80mm butyl tubes for me at ~79g/ea. For rapid roadside replacements when I'm far less cautious during installation, I ordered up some no-name 80mm butyl tubes. Guess what ... those half-price cheapies weigh 66-67g/ea! WTF?! We'll see if they're quality or not, but I wonder if I just got taken by Schwalbe's marketing so-called genius.

Vicelord

by Vicelord

So I'm curious, those MadFiber wheels are all one piece, integrated spokes? Or are they somehow replaceable?

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Yes, the wheels and spokes are all one piece, which makes the spokes non-replaceable / non-serviceable. Furthermore, Mad Fiber has unfortunately gone the way of the dodo bird. They went "skinny" as the cycling world went "fat." If I recall correctly, Mad Fiber only ever sold ~1.3K sets.

There's 3 iterations of Mad Fiber wheels (gen1, 1.5 and 2.0) and mine are gen1.5. Their tubies seem to rate quite highly whereas some riders had issues with their clinchers. My clincher set has been good-to-go since day one. Knock on wood!

Here's a couple of links on Madfiber and their wheels (there's lots of vids out there, too):
http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/m ... pro-review
http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/m ... d-wheelset
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/05/30/mad ... e-extreme/
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -12-46425/

> > > > > > > > > > > UPDATED late 2015 after ~2.5 seasons w/MadFibers > < < < < < < < < < < < <

My rear MadFiber wheel delaminated. You said it would, but I was hopeful.
I thought that I was special and it'd be different, but you were right. I was wrong.
The only good news is I upgraded to Reynolds Attacks w/latex (again) and stayed within ~5g.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Tue May 03, 2016 3:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Can't wait to see the next step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFFMPV6BzRX/

Installation underway. Weights appear spot-on to Bikeradar's and SRAM's info.

As others have noted, one of the limit screws (?) is a hair long with the Zipp Vuamquad crank. I'll "hit" the local Home Depot for a M4-0.7x10 or 12mm mm set screw. It looks like the one in the link except it is M4, not M5.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-M5- ... /202210166
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun May 08, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

NEW Grand Total - '09 Scott Addict R1 (SM, 49cm) w/SRAM eTap, Reynolds Attacks, Garmin and two cages (verified): 5745g/ 12.67lbs

Gained ~1/3lb since mid-2014 primarily by moving from eTap, but happily tossed the "old school" BB guide and bolt for a couple of free g's.

Here's one straight out of the LBS and another at the tippy top of Little Cottonwood Canyon (about ~2mi beyond Snowbird where the Tour of Utah finishes).

I was telling my pal - who doesn't ride - how excited I was to get eTap installed and I could tell that he didn't share even a quarter of my enthusiasm. It got me thinking about why / how Di2 and eTap are the "next big thing?" Aside from neat new and exciting for the sake of being neat new and exciting, it shook me a bit! I expect my first real ride will cancel out any hint of buyer's remorse. Now about that rain here... I'll throw a mini ride report here and a bigger one in the +60pg eTap thread later.

><><><><><><><><><>

First 150mi Ride Report: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127375&p=1230753#p1230753