Time VXR Shimano Di2 tuned internal wiring - WW project bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: maxim809, MrCurrieinahurry, Moderator Team

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

I'm excited to see this coming along. Do you have any sort of deadline for yourself or are you taking your time? Nice to see some good old fashioned ingenuity.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

by Weenie

coloclimber

by coloclimber

No deadline except prior to the first gran fondo. I am working on it in the evenings when I can after the 3 kids go to bed, dishes are done etc. Thats part of why its slow coming. The other part is that properly sanding takes a long time.

Each battery cel has a 14mm diameter.

To get the battery open, I used a dremel cone head around the three screw heads. The screws are the tighten only kind. I dremels out enough plastic to get a needle nose around the screw head. They have long threads so it only takes a few turns.

I cut the circuit board off the harness but in retrospect- should have cut the casing first and left the circuit board attached to the harness. The plastic casing was cut with a dremel disk where the white strap surrounds the batteries.

Note the red tape I put there to know which side was connected to the +

Cut the white strap around the batteries and remove the cels and circuit board

Once the batteries were off the cage, it was just a matter lining them up vertically and soldering some wires together to connect the wires to the water proof quick connectors. I used clear shrink wrap but its not a pretty job. Effective nonetheless.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

OCVeloMan

by OCVeloMan

:shock: this is the ballsiest mod I have ever seen... Ripping apart this group takes cajones!

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Satellite thumb shifters courtesy of WW favorite Madcow

gitsome

by gitsome

Big balls indeed! I love this, its old school WW at its best!

I too can;t believe you took to a new frame and Di2 kit like that! wow

I guess this voids any warranty....
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

Epic-o

by Epic-o

OCVeloMan wrote::shock: this is the ballsiest mod I have ever seen... Ripping apart this group takes cajones!

COJONES

euan

by euan

coloclimber wrote:Satellite thumb shifters courtesy of WW favorite Madcow

I see shimano are about to launch their own version, though these look a lot nicer.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

I finished sanding the frameset last night with 320 grit. No more paint or clear coat left anywhere. Now on to finer grits. - 860 grams!!

Thats a savings of 110 grams for paint, 2 shifter bosses for the dérailleur cables and 1 cable guide for the rear dérailleur.

Ari

by Ari

That's awesome Nathan. I'd imagine with the finer grit sandpaper you won't lose much more grams off the frame but nonetheless losing more than a 100 grams removing paint is incredible. Heck of a lot of work and patience my friend. You are a better man than I!
Seven Axiom Ti, Reynolds UL Fork, Campagnolo Super Record 11

In Progress: Salsa Podio, Alpha Q GS10 Fork, Campagnolo Chorus 11

Pat2A

by Pat2A

euan wrote:
coloclimber wrote:Satellite thumb shifters courtesy of WW favorite Madcow
I see shimano are about to launch their own version, though these look a lot nicer.

Yes, the new SW-7970 will be available from May 2010.

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Awesome :thumbup:

Can't wait for these - in addition to road (e.g. handlebar bottom) setups, TT setups with integrated brake levers can also use these instead of the stock integrated Di2 brake shifters, in combination with the bar-end shifters. Should have made these available long ago.
Current Bikes: S-Works Venge 7.3kg
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Colnago Concept Art Deco CHDK 7/6.5kg
Collection: Team Ti Raleigh 753 Vintage Campy
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

Probity

by Probity

Wow.. i found this page by accident looking for the Time homepage. i was at first horrified by the sandpapering... then i continued to see the fantastic innovation going on and realized the rationale for this project. Excellent work. especially the mods to the battery pack. very clean!
although i sure hope the gentleman has a sub 10 percent body fat percentage. ha! i've had too many customers over the years spending crazy money on lightweight parts but weigh 230 plus.
again, great work on the time, and rock those big climbs!

coloclimber

by coloclimber

The Time has been idle for a few days- WW pritchet74 and I spent the last 2 nights fixing the Di2 RD cable internally through the chainstay of his Cervelo SLC-SL and modifying the battery the same way described in this thread to fit in the aero seatpost. We chopped up his battery, lined up the cels vertically (14mm diameter with a 16mm diameter aero seatpost section) and re-wired it with waterproof quick connectors. Viola- the green light came on and it worked perfectly. He saved ~59 grams and its more aero.

Amaro

by Amaro

Wow, this project is amazing...I love people who tries to break the barriers :thumbup: . But I wonder if it will be reliable in the long term...
Rider on the storm...

vidman

by vidman

I really dig this thread. I check it several times a day in the hope of seeing more updates! :thumbup:

by Weenie