8.4 pound Ruegamer now 8.2 pounds

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SDP

by SDP

need to see a lot more of this along with some pics of modified bits

awesome ..this is what WW is about not just the fattest wallet ..

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

I forgot to ask how you got rid of the seatpost clamp? Glue?
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gandini

by gandini

TheBugMan wrote:I forgot to ask how you got rid of the seatpost clamp? Glue?

Either here or on FWB forum, he says the post is a tight fit, and it's held in place with a small CF screw that prevents it from slipping down, and rotating side to side. I use a similar method with my seat/post combination. What amazes me is that Don got his separate seat and post down to almost the same weight as my integrated seat/post--incredible!

Joni

by Joni

One single power climb and I will totally destroy this bike. I am totally sure of that!

donald

by donald

I listed the specs. when I first listed the bike, some time ago. It is a 54 cm. frame, short head tube to save weight, has a lower bottom bracket height. It was 600 grams, with down tube bosses installed it was 612 grams. The Edge fork is 248 grams, 170 mm. steerer tube, sanded a little. The Schmolke bar is a 44 cm, 141 grams. Brake levers, Campy Rec. modified extensively 119 grams the pair. Dura Ace shifters, index shifting 8-spd. I usually run 12-21, I'm usually out of the saddle, perhaps a slower cadence than most. Crank is THM Calvicula, modified, 373 grams, BB 30 ceramic. KMC X10 SL Chain. Handlebar tape is not Bonotto. It's a special one inch wide tape that has a little give to it, is fairly durable, 11.5 grams for the whole bar. Hoods are from and old 24 inch inner tube. The front wheel shown my Hill Climb wheel, also not for bad roads. The rear wheel can handle most any thing. My next lightest front wheel is 37 grams heavier, can handle most anything. More specs. later. I am not on this site every day. I like most all the bikes I see here and can really appreciate the individual uniqueness, and also the comradirie and friendship that I see. Its good to have some reservations and concerns about making something to light. I feel we owe it others we ride with that we don't go crazy with something that could break and also cause someone else to go down. I have never crashed due to some light part breaking. But at times anyone can have problems, even with stock, heavy parts. I good to feel right about our bikes so that we have confidence and fun when riding.

tochnics

by tochnics

my daily rider is 12 kg but my ww bike is sub 6kg and its feels so light as if it will break after just looking at it
riding a bike that light must like that their is no bike at all underneath u
do u ride other bikes or is it mainly this one ?
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

donald

by donald

I have been riding my Rue Uberlight for about 2 1/2 years now. I have other road bikes. I ride this one about two days a week but not much in Winter. In Summer I often put on drilled out chainrings instead of the carbon. I have Three sets of wheels for it but all my wheels for this bike are very light. With the heaviest set and alloy rings it weighs about 8.98 lbs. It works for me and perhaps I have been somewhat luckey or I have good Karma that I have had few problems through the years. I have many, many years of experience which really helps. I think it helps to be patient, experiment a little, have some knowledge of materials and structural analysis and a little feedback from experts. The bike is very stiff, no flex. It is very stable on decents, it shifts perfectly even with all my modifications. I always wish that everyone can have a bike and bikes they feel good about and can really enjoy. Many people on this site inspire me with their knowledge and experience and even though I don't respond very often I really appreciat everything I see and hear.

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

donald wrote:I really appreciat everything I see and hear.

I relate to that (^_^)
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

Ride-Fly

by Ride-Fly

That is unbelievable! How much does the frame weigh? How tall are you and how much do you weigh? I'm only 5'10.5" and 175 lbs but I would break that thing in half on the first high-torque climb.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

@ ride fly,

Here is a link to a 3.75 kilo bike that gets ridden very, very often by a small but powerful rider. Light bikes often can withstand a lot of use. A comment like yours might alter when you actually have ridden such a bike a couple of times. I personally know the owner of this steed and we try to meet and ride together a couple of times a year. At first I didn't believe it as well. Seeing is believing though!

Donald, we keep appreciating the work you put into it! Keep up the good work.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Ride-Fly

by Ride-Fly

Frankie - B wrote:@ ride fly,

Here is a link to a 3.75 kilo bike that gets ridden very, very often by a small but powerful rider. Light bikes often can withstand a lot of use. A comment like yours might alter when you actually have ridden such a bike a couple of times. I personally know the owner of this steed and we try to meet and ride together a couple of times a year. At first I didn't believe it as well. Seeing is believing though!

Donald, we keep appreciating the work you put into it! Keep up the good work.

Fair enough. I think it would take me a long time of riding such a bike before I got the thought of it breaking out of my mind. You guys are in Hollland? Sweeeeet! I love Europe and wish we lived there!

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

hello Don,
is there something new with this lovely bike?

themountaintop

by themountaintop

That's a light bike to be riding around on the Bay Area roads! Marin County has some of (if not the worst) roads in the U.S. How does she handle the Fairfax-Bolinas road on the backside of Mt. Tam? The descent that leads from Tam into Fairfax has got to be one of the rougher rides for any road bike to handle.

djconnel

by djconnel

At the 2010 Berkeley Hills Road Race, where we were both working, I asked Donald how his bike rode on Grizzly Peak Road, which was in a condition consistent with recent aerial bombardment. He said fine. You've got to hand it to Donald: despite what appear to be rather sketchy optimizations, like substantial material removal from Al clincher rims (covering holes with metal tape).

When I think of bikes nominated for Weight Weenie Bike of the Year, I think of the standard set by Donald's Rue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

djconnel wrote:When I think of bikes nominated for Weight Weenie Bike of the Year, I think of the standard set by Donald's Rue.

:beerchug: