'89 Merckx Tutti Frutti - I'm a lazy sod, as it's all ready

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ST B

by ST B

I might not have read the topic well enough, but are you going with the steel fork in the pictures you posted in your first post? If so, that fork is threaded which would mean you need a threaded headset isn't it? Whether threaded head set or not, I agree with the people that for pure aesthetics you should go with the campy although CK is probably better quality. Have fun building. It can only become something very special!

Sietse

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

legs 11

by legs 11

It's from Belgium, not Italy anyway.
If it was a classic Colnago/Derosa or something on them lines?......I would see things a bit more in your veiw.
Obviously, there is the Colnago conection, but I really think it's being pedantic to criticise someone for planning to use a bit of kit that is superior but originates from another country? :noidea:
Tinea, you could get one anodised in the Tuti fruti colours??!!!!
And, last time I checked, you could still get a CK for threaded forks?.....I think?
Pedalling Law Student.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

An anodised one with the frames colours would be :mrgreen: will certainly investigate that one further!

And I too thought you could get them for threaded forks...??

ST B

by ST B

My bad, they do make a threaded head set: the 2Nut and GripNut. Not sure what the difference is though. The best of luck with your choice!

mr_tim

by mr_tim

CK h/set will make it look thrown together & like your about to do tricks on it .. you will always be picked up on it @ the cafe stop :cry:

Traditional campag record headset is reliable & has the looks. Also will cost you less than CK.

Make sure you get the correct threads on the h/set to match the fork - sometimes they have different thread pitches so putting the incorrect one on damages the fork.

Have you seen the older style record h/set with the black seals? Those are the version I am suggesting here - practical & good looking, nice placement of lock nut to hide the washer.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I know this is coming slowly guys, apologies.

Thinking a set of 36 hole Ambrosio Zenith hubs for the wheels?

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/p ... H_S_R.html

and

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/p ... H_F_S.html

nice and shiny (which can be tricky to find nowadays!)

And should the front also be 36 hole?

mr_tim

by mr_tim

@ TP; as much as I don't think you want to hear it - for a nice old build like this, you won't beat a nice looking set of campag hubs.

If money is short, get the veloce/centaur level & if you have more funds pick up some NOS Chorus or Record in silver (the ones with the grease ports). I saw a set of nos centaur recently on the 'bay go for 45GBP.

They work with 11v to answer one of the questions posed much earlier in this thread. I have a 28h Record working perfectly with Chorus / SR cassettes. It spins wonderfully well, loose bearings are great. Same spacing available as current black finish record hubs. In fact I've got a 9v mirage hub that works on 11v as well... so there is a lot of leeway on these campag hubs as long as the splines match up. PM me if you need any more info on it.

Pair it up with excellight or excellence rims & you've got a sound training set of wheels that you can use & take forward into any number of builds in the future. What weight are you re; 36h or 32h? Its only the big fellas that run 36h.

What did you decide on by way of the h/set incidentally? There was a stampede of votes for campag but you seemed to not want to run with the herd :lol: .

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

No, no. Quite the contrary - I would be VERY happy to run with Campag hubs, however (as you saw) I was told they would not work with the newer cassettes.

Actually got the alloy 10sp Centaur, so don't even need to fit 11sp to it.

Which year hubs should I be looking at though...? As all the Campag ones I've found are in black.

Also have no idea on which rims to use.

I'm 78kg or so, so not too big. And was only going to go 36 hole so that they would look a little more 'period'.

Oh and it's going to be a silver CK headset :D

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Tinea Pedis wrote:Which year hubs should I be looking at though...? As all the Campag ones I've found are in black.

its not so much year as spline pattern. It switched when campag was between 8v and 9v. Look at this for info; http://branfordbike.com/page.cfm?pageID=60

Silver hubs - ebay is your friend. Don't be afraid of buying a complete wheelset & breaking it down to get the hubs.. plenty of tub builds out there which hide decent hubs.

Also have no idea on which rims to use
. Try http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68035 but yeah, the Ambrosio rims would look nice... but considering your choice of headset, does it matter???

I'm 78kg or so, so not too big. And was only going to go 36 hole so that they would look a little more 'period'.

Really 32h, comps with x3 should do you fine.. when rotational mass starts to creep up you'll feel like your having a bad day everyday.

Your kind of asking for a piss take on using the CK headset & then talking about 'period' appearances, but hey, you live & learn donthcha. :-|

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

You're kidding right?

If I had a Campag 1" threaded handy (which I do not) then I would be polishing it right up to a CK appearance anyway. And at 2 meters no one is going to be able to spot it and gasp.

Ta for the branford link. And yeah, will have a word with the lads on the wheelbuilding thread re: shiny rims.

Ari

by Ari

@Tinea Pedis

look at Campagnolo nuovo record hubs (new old stock). They are out there and would work on older cassette to keep your bike more period appropriate.
Seven Axiom Ti, Reynolds UL Fork, Campagnolo Super Record 11

In Progress: Salsa Podio, Alpha Q GS10 Fork, Campagnolo Chorus 11

range
Shop Owner

by range

That's a nice vintage frame. I was also thinking about getting a steel frame for fun.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Total Cycling have the headset you need.

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/p ... EADED.html

I don't know how much a CK costs in Oz but it can't be less than this including carriage.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Ta mate, but actually have one coming from the UK - should arrive this week.

Also found a 27.2 NOS Record seat post!!! Arrived Monday, incredible condition! I was well chuffed with that one.

Finally have a Cinelli 120mm stem, so just need some Cinelli bars.

Then all that is left is the saddle and wheels. I think I've sourced some alloy Chorus hub in 28 front, 32 rear and might look at lacing them to some Open Pro's. Unless there's some other rim you might recommend?

And Range, all my bikes are fun. But I still plan to ride this thing hard :twisted: which is part of the reason why I went with a newer groupset as opposed to down tube shifters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Why not go tubulars? Lots of Campag & Mavic NOS rims on Ebay. Period correct and super cool with Veloflex Criteriums.