My Merlin Extralight (new pic on page 1)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Timo

by Timo

Slight delay because the bolt in the seat post clamp snapped and has to be drilled out. But the weather in Amsterdam is terrible anyway.

And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Is that the original head badge or a replacement?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Timo

by Timo

A replacement which I got from Merlin in 2007 since the original headbadge was a Rossin decal followed by a Gazelle decal

And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

Timo

by Timo

Built completed...

Frame: Merlin Extralight, 57cm, 1993, Wine Red (RAL 3005)

Fork/Headset: Ritchey Pro / Campagnolo Record

Crankset/Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Chorus carbon UT 10sp cranks, 172.5mm, 53/39

Pedals: Speedplay X2 Stainless

Drivetrain/Cog/Chainring/Chain: Campagnolo Veloce 10sp cassette, 12/25 / KMC 10SL

Derailleurs/Shifters: Campagnolo Record 10sp short cage / Campagnolo Chorus 10sp Ergopower

Handlebars/Stem: Scott Drop-in, 42 cm w/Brooks leather bar tape / Syntace F99, 105mm w/titanium bolts

Saddle/Seatpost: Brooks Cambium C17 / Campagnolo Chorus titanium

Brakes: Campagnolo Chorus Skeleton

Hubs/Rims/Spokes/Tires: Campagnolo Record / Mavic Open Pro Ceramic+ / DT Comp / Veloflex

Others: Elité Ciussi stainless steel bottle holders w/syntace titanium bolts

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Excellent...

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Looks nice!

But personally, I liked it more when it was all white.

Timo

by Timo

I had heaps of fun with it in Burgundy, France, the past couple of weeks.

TimmS

by TimmS

Very well done Timo!

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Pure class

So nicely balanced

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

I thought i would like the white version more but the red one now looks really lovely!
It is so classy and clean. Only thing i do not like is that bar, would be much cleaner with an "normal" bar.

Deev

by Deev

Very special indeed. Well done. Class.

Timo

by Timo

Thanks all!

I actually raced with these bars in the early nineties (mainly because as a teenager I was a huge Lemond groupie) but they had been in the spare parts bin for two decades. I decided to use them again because I wanted a platform for a GoPro camera as well as a place to mount the lights during long rides, because I want to keep the top of the bars free for my hands (especially while climbing I go "all over the the place"). Over the past couple of weeks I fell in love with the bars again, appreciating the bend of the drops, the position of the brake levers and - yes - going downhill I even tried and liked the extensions. They're not sexy but exactly what I need.

Most of all, the frame and fork have proven to me that if both ride quality and build quality are to such high standards (thank you thank you thank you Tom Kellogg) and so suitable to a riding style that is not aimed a high speeds but at comfort and high milage, a frameset is a friend for life, accompanying me from one rendition to the next when a paintjob is too scratched or simply gets boring.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I like it in the black then I look at the new colour and like that just as much...you have chosen well.

gleason

by gleason

Incredibly classy. Love the contrast of the carbon Campy bits with the dark paint. Very well done.

Timo

by Timo

Just had five weeks of fun with it in Burgundy again. Switched the saddle to a Regal titanium because that's what I used on my bikes in Amsterdam. Damaged one of the Veloflex tires on some rough tarmac. Still completely in love with the Merlin, can"t wait to be back in France in April...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com