Time Alpe d'Huez 2023

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Pretty serious downhill or the picture needs to be rotated. Now for the seriuous side of this resonse.

Beautiful bike. Ride it and change up things as you can. It's about the journey and the way you get there.

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

mike wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 3:04 pm
Very nice you can certainly bring down the weight a lot. The frame is beautiful and I would not change it just to save weight. If you get a lighter frame you will certainly miss the ride quality of the time and weight will not have much meaning.
Well. I think it does, I'm 55 kilos myself and race at elite level up 12% climbs. Half a kilo in the frame doesn't make you go faster. But I look better 🤣
2023 Time Alpe d'Huez 2023
2020 Bianchi Oltre XR4 *Sold
2018 Giant Propel Pro Advanced
2017 Bianchi Intrepida *Sold
2016 Verenti Technique *Sold

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

If you use sram red mechanical you can save a lot of weight at reasonable cost, get a full carbon saddle, titanium axle pedals, and one piece bar stem like bontrager xxx you will have good weight savings

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

SuecoGuatemalteco wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:49 am
20230519_204706.jpg

The bike is finally out on the roads. The final weight was a whopping 7,87 kg so I can't say the Time Alpe d'Huez is a WW-certified frame. I will probably get it under 7,5 with a few tweaks but get it under 7 kilos seems like a very expensive stretch. Would be easier and cheaper to just change the frameset. I currently have a pair of Zipp 303 S with 28mm Schwalbe Pro One tires that I got to borrow and also an older 105/Ultegra crankset that I probably will change for Ultegra crankarms with Rotor chainrings.
I also got the Elite Leggero bottle cages (19g) instead of the Elite Custom Race (40g) after the 7,87 weigh in. So the diet has begun.

Longer term components upgrade includes stem (currently Deda Superbox@202 grams), seatpost (currently Deda Superzero@191 grams), saddle (currenty Selle Italia SLR Superflow@200+grams) and some pedals.

More pictures and a full list with components with weights will come.
Let's rewind to the wheelset you had issues with. Was it the hub only, did you get a explanation of what it was more specifc?
What hub was it?
I have noticed i have tigher clearnce to the seatstay junction with one wheelset /rear hub than my Zipp.
It's clearing, but i would have liked to see more clearance.
What wheelset will you use?
Atleast my Zipp have a very nice muted ride feel. Like more plush than my TLO45 set.
I would like another wheelset, but it's deep rims which is kind of my urge (close to 60mm or more front/ a bit deeper in the rear).
But not hookless...
Although 45mm seems to be a sweetspot of all things.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

I'm surprised at the weight just as much as you are. i guess bars, stem, saddle, and seatpost(27.2?) will drop another 250-300 grams?

r_mutt

by r_mutt

BTW, I think the bike looks great!

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:11 am
SuecoGuatemalteco wrote:
20230519_204706.jpg

The bike is finally out on the roads. The final weight was a whopping 7,87 kg so I can't say the Time Alpe d'Huez is a WW-certified frame. I will probably get it under 7,5 with a few tweaks but get it under 7 kilos seems like a very expensive stretch. Would be easier and cheaper to just change the frameset. I currently have a pair of Zipp 303 S with 28mm Schwalbe Pro One tires that I got to borrow and also an older 105/Ultegra crankset that I probably will change for Ultegra crankarms with Rotor chainrings.
I also got the Elite Leggero bottle cages (19g) instead of the Elite Custom Race (40g) after the 7,87 weigh in. So the diet has begun.

Longer term components upgrade includes stem (currently Deda Superbox@202 grams), seatpost (currently Deda Superzero@191 grams), saddle (currenty Selle Italia SLR Superflow@200+grams) and some pedals.

Let's rewind to the wheelset you had issues with. Was it the hub only, did you get a explanation of what it was more specifc?
What hub was it?
I have noticed i have tigher clearnce to the seatstay junction with one wheelset /rear hub than my Zipp.
Atleast my Zipp have a very nice muted ride feel. Like more plush than my TLO45 set.
I would like another wheelset, but it's deep rims which is kind of my urge (close to 60mm or more front/ a bit deeper in the rear).
But not hookless...
It seems like the issue is with the body and end caps. I have Tube-hubs on the wheelset that doesnt fit and have been in contact with Tune who says I need to change them for it to fit Shimano 12-speed. Right now I'm riding on borrowed Zipp wheels and waiting for Tune to give me the specific item I need to fit the cassette.

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

r_mutt wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 7:49 pm
I'm surprised at the weight just as much as you are. i guess bars, stem, saddle, and seatpost(27.2?) will drop another 250-300 grams?
Yeah, it sucks but I'll live. Time's explanation is that light colored bike weighs more...
Bars are already pretty light with the Prime Primavera X-Light Pro in 38 cm, but the Deda Superbox stem is a heavy one at 200g+. Saddle and seatpost I could probably save 250 but it will cost. I currently have a Deda Superzero seatpost and a Selle Italia Superflow saddle.

If I can get the MCFK wheels instead of the Zipps I'll probably save 200-300 grams.

I hope I can get the wheels sorted soon, it will be much easier for me to give a nuanced review of the frame when tested with different wheels :)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

SuecoGuatemalteco wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:52 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:11 am
SuecoGuatemalteco wrote:
20230519_204706.jpg

What hub was it?
But not hookless...
It seems like the issue is with the body and end caps. I have Tube-hubs on the wheelset that doesnt fit and have been in contact with Tune who says I need to change them for it to fit Shimano 12-speed. Right now I'm riding on borrowed Zipp wheels and waiting for Tune to give me the specific item I need to fit the cassette.
The freehub body you have, is it for 11 Speed?'
I have a climber set at home, Ax Premium 38T (tubular). These are fitted with the last gen (discontinued) Tune Mig/Mag. I would also need to source an XDR freebody.

Anyway, i hope your wheelset will fit and roll well. You have a very nice bike. I just wonder when it will come more options talking aftermarket stems.
I think it would be cool if i could use same bar i have now on a future bike. But i guess it require a stem that works with what ever standard will be.
It seems there are so many versions now.
I think Time has a geometry which would work for me to. I have short reach, but higher stack on my bike.
Now i use a -17 Enve Ses Aero. It would be 22mm lower than same lenght -6 stem (Enve stem stack is 46mm and i count at a -6 stem with 40mm stack)
That would place me on the exact stack of a Time in size medium. However, i don't know how much the bearing dust cap and headset spacer (is this needed for routing of hoses?) build in height!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

[Yes, it is an 11 speed freehub body.

About these "integrated cable stems", they are absolutely nothing spectacular to be honest. Just a plastic container underneath the stem. I think most people can use whatever stem they like and make a tidy solution themselves.
I'm aiming for a one-piece cockpit once I've dialed my geometry correctly.

Not totally sure, I didn't build the bike myself but my mechanic couldn't slam it but I think that's because of the Deda superbox stem.
attachment=0]20230601_180029.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
20230601_180029.jpg

r_mutt

by r_mutt

perhaps a Deda Alenera when your position is sorted to drop a bit more weight and add good looks to the package!

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

r_mutt wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:46 pm
perhaps a Deda Alenera when your position is sorted to drop a bit more weight and add good looks to the package!
The Deda Alanera won't reduce any weight from my current setup I'm afraid. It looks good, but it's also expensive so I will probably go with a Darimon stem later - cheaper and much lighter :).

I've fitted new and bigger chainrings from Rotor with the original right crankarm, swapping out the borrowed 105 crankset. It added 45grams, all upgrades being heavier :roll:

r_mutt

by r_mutt

well, that's a shame. i was thinking that the Deda Superbox was pretty heavy so there would be gains available there

r_mutt

by r_mutt

I was looking at that frame but the cheaper ones available on the site are for last years model and it appears that last year, the frames weren't set up for totally internal wiring. it's too bad because the price is much cheaper!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

mike wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 3:49 am
If you use sram red mechanical you can save a lot of weight at reasonable cost
The Time website says the 2023 Time Alpe d'Huez model is "Compatible with Electronic Shifting Systems Only".