Time Alpe d'Huez 2023

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

Stumbled across this bike on the internet when I was looking for a new bike and I got so hooked. All the bikes on my shortlist just died in my eyes and I had to have it. Said and done, got the frameset from a dealer in the Netherlands for 4000 euros.
20230511_192726.jpg
It's a beauty
IMG-20230505-WA0030.jpg
A chunky beauty....This weight is "ready to build frameset" with rear derailleur hanger, bottle cage bolts, headset. But still heavier than I expected. I considered to abort the build, but heck I really wanted this bike so I decided to go through with it. There is always another frame further down the road.

I will have it built with an Ultegra di2 12 speed groupset and a used MCFK wheelset. Some components will be cheaper and/or used until I know more what will suit me and the bike best.

Frameset (frame, fork, headset, rear derailleur hanger): 1615 grams
To be continued....
2023 Time Alpe d'Huez 2023
2020 Bianchi Oltre XR4 *Sold
2018 Giant Propel Pro Advanced
2017 Bianchi Intrepida *Sold
2016 Verenti Technique *Sold

Gary71

by Gary71

Following with interest

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

I've weighed the Ultegra parts amongst others. The crankset I will use initially isnt weighed yet. Included in the 2819g total weight is Shimano Ultegra crankset 50/34. I will use 52/36 Ultegra chainrings with 105 cranks from my backup bike. I havent decided on the long term powermeter/crankset solution yet. I'm thinking about a 11speed Ultegra crankset with 53/39 and 170mm cranks or sticking to my 12speed Ultegra 172.5mm but change the chainrings and add a powermeter equipped left crankarm.

Frameset: ~1610
Groupset: ~2900

Total so far: ~4500+
Attachments
Groupset.png
Groupset.png (33.17 KiB) Viewed 12308 times

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

The weight seems quite heavy for a time let alone an Alpe d'Huez frameset. I would verify with time that this would be a correct weight for what is supposed to be a climbing bike (that it is a time built frameset and not a knockoff)

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

mike wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 8:25 pm
The weight seems quite heavy for a time let alone an Alpe d'Huez frameset. I would verify with time that this would be a correct weight for what is supposed to be a climbing bike (that it is a time built frameset and not a knockoff)
I emailed Time to see what they have to say. They claimed the frame to be much lighter (940 grams in coated black color). I just asked straight out if my frame is a counterfeit or faulty frameset or if its supposed to weigh that much.

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

Some setbacks: I ordered the wrong bottom bracket so have to wait for a new one, I went with a Rotor bottom bracket.
Another setbacks is that the wheels don't fit with the frame. The cassette touches the frame and according to "my bike guy" it's a weird geometry. I huge bummer when the wheels was the component that would hold the weight down.

I've spoken with Time about how heavy it is and they are blaming the paint:Different paint colors weigh differently usually a lighter colorway weighs more than a darker color. This is the reason you don’t see companies posting weights as much anymore. Most super-light frames are darker in color. 

I might put it up for sale as soon as the bike is assembled. This became a total fiasco but I've learned a lot, even if it's gonna be a very expensive lesson.

But to keep up with the bike build which still is a bit fun:
I will have a Deda Superbox stem for a clean cockpit, a Prime Primavera X-light Pro handlebars with Supacaz Supersticky tape.
I will use an old saddle, probably start of with a Fizik and also Look Keo blade pedals. I'm also waiting for a couple of Elite Leggero 17grams bottle cages.

I'm leaning towards some Zipp 303 since Time sells bikes with those wheels. Most likely it's gonna weigh in somewhere around 7,7-7,8 kg which is way off what I was hoping for in both short term and long term plan for the bike.

polpy

by polpy

SuecoGuatemalteco wrote:Some setbacks: I ordered the wrong bottom bracket so have to wait for a new one, I went with a Rotor bottom bracket.
Another setbacks is that the wheels don't fit with the frame. The cassette touches the frame and according to "my bike guy" it's a weird geometry. I huge bummer when the wheels was the component that would hold the weight down.

I've spoken with Time about how heavy it is and they are blaming the paint:Different paint colors weigh differently usually a lighter colorway weighs more than a darker color. This is the reason you don’t see companies posting weights as much anymore. Most super-light frames are darker in color. 

I might put it up for sale as soon as the bike is assembled. This became a total fiasco but I've learned a lot, even if it's gonna be a very expensive lesson.

But to keep up with the bike build which still is a bit fun:
I will have a Deda Superbox stem for a clean cockpit, a Prime Primavera X-light Pro handlebars with Supacaz Supersticky tape.
I will use an old saddle, probably start of with a Fizik and also Look Keo blade pedals. I'm also waiting for a couple of Elite Leggero 17grams bottle cages.

I'm leaning towards some Zipp 303 since Time sells bikes with those wheels. Most likely it's gonna weigh in somewhere around 7,7-7,8 kg which is way off what I was hoping for in both short term and long term plan for the bike.
The geometry is not weird, its a pretty normal geo. Cervelo R5 is not so much different. If the cassette touches the frame there has to be something wrong with the wheel/hub.

Can you post a picture of the issue?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Glad that it is a genuine frame. If there is a spacer on the hub remove and see if cassette still touches frame

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Glad that it is a genuine frame. If there is a spacer on the hub remove and see if cassette still touches frame

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

Well there is no spacer or issues with the wheel or the hub. The bike is at the mechanics and today is a holiday. The bike will hopefully be ready tomorrow. My mechanic will bring his bike, test the wheels on his frame and also test another set of wheels with the Time.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Any updates on the cassette issue?

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

mike wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:23 pm
Any updates on the cassette issue?
It worked fine with Zipp 303 S with 12 speed Dura Ace cassette. I'm happy it's ready to ride, even if the Zipp wheels came with an extra 200 grams.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

The zips will be faster than the mcfks

SuecoGuatemalteco

by SuecoGuatemalteco

20230519_204706.jpg
The bike is finally out on the roads. The final weight was a whopping 7,87 kg so I can't say the Time Alpe d'Huez is a WW-certified frame. I will probably get it under 7,5 with a few tweaks but get it under 7 kilos seems like a very expensive stretch. Would be easier and cheaper to just change the frameset. I currently have a pair of Zipp 303 S with 28mm Schwalbe Pro One tires that I got to borrow and also an older 105/Ultegra crankset that I probably will change for Ultegra crankarms with Rotor chainrings.
I also got the Elite Leggero bottle cages (19g) instead of the Elite Custom Race (40g) after the 7,87 weigh in. So the diet has begun.

Longer term components upgrade includes stem (currently Deda Superbox@202 grams), seatpost (currently Deda Superzero@191 grams), saddle (currenty Selle Italia SLR Superflow@200+grams) and some pedals.

More pictures and a full list with components with weights will come.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Very nice you can certainly bring down the weight a lot. The frame is beautiful and I would not change it just to save weight. If you get a lighter frame you will certainly miss the ride quality of the time and weight will not have much meaning.