Help me build my NOS Cervelo R3 Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jadeptryx

by jadeptryx

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

A few years ago I owned a Cervelo R3 (rim brake, Ultegra Di2, upgraded wheelset) and found it to be one of my all time favourites. Fit was pretty much perfect while being a good all rounder. Unfortunately, it was damaged beyond repair and I had other bikes in the stable so never replaced it.

Fast forward to today and I still have a small stable that covers everything I need, including an older Cannondale Synapse I use for everyday group rides and general training (even very ocasionally race on it if I'm feeling too lazy to set up the race bike).

About 18 months ago I bought a Merida Scultura Force Edition to replace the Synapse as the allrounder. It was ex-demo, in like new condition and a bargain, how could I say no? Unfortunately, I just never fell in love with it. I found the SRAM Force AXS groupset to be so-so, the whole package felt pretty heavy and a bit sluggish in general, but most importantly the fit just never felt right. So it's done less than 2000km and mostly sits gathering dust.

I recently came across a new old stock Cervelo R3 Disc frameset in my size and again at about 65-70% off RRP, how could I say no? So I've ordered it planning to replace the Synapse and Merida and now the question is do I transfer the parts from the Merida over, or sell the Merida to fund other parts for the Cervelo? If so, what? I'm open to any ideas (even Aliexpress groupsets!)

Current build list suggests it won't be particularly svelte at just under 8kg.

R3 Disc Frame (56cm) 890
R3 Disc Fork 388
Headset 120 (guesstimate)
SRAM Force AXS groupset 2815 (inc. BB)
Thompson Road Carbon (42cm) 200
Kalloy Uno (110mm) 110
R3 Disc Seatpost 250 (guesstimate)
Aeolus Elite Saddle 220
Vision SC40db 1590
Vittoria Competition Latex *2 170
Corsa Control G2 (30c) *2 600
Elementi Traforato bar tape 40
Aliexpress bottle cages *2 40
Miscellaneous 500 (guesstimate for bolts, cables/hoses, etc.)
TOTAL 7933

My key considerations:
  • Fit - confident this will be fine
  • Feel - not feeling so confident, will it feel any faster/snappier than the Merida? I assume the improved fit will help
  • Weight - I've always tried to be prudent in any upgrades/component changes since I know the biggest improvement will come from building my fitness and losing some body weight, but I am partial to a lighter and snappier ride feel. Can I get this weight down below 7.5kg (preferrably closer to 7kg) with moderately priced parts? Are any of my web sourced weights wildly off?
  • Quality & Value - I'm not really interested in bespoke or boutique lightweight parts that cost a bomb. I am interested in readily available, reliable parts that are on the lighter end of the spectrum without going crazy.
Thanks. Ideas and feedback appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

siim

by siim

Great choice! I've got the R3 Disc for about 5 years now and still very happy with it. I found some ways to save weight in following places:
  • Through axles. Not sure if your frame still came with RAT style axles with levers or not. But if they're RAT, you can change them to flush ones and save 60g.
  • Seatpost and saddle. I went with Aliexpress seatpost and Berk Lupina saddle. Anyway, you could easily save 200g there. Yes, Lupina (or anything else from Berk) is expensive but IMO it's well worth it.
  • Go tubeless.
  • I've had good experience with Tune Wasserträger bottle cages. More grams saved :)
  • Don't use Cervelo's glued in expander. It's heavy and will make it difficult to adjust if you happen to want to lower your front end significantly. I used Schmolke's Expander SL.
At the lightest configuration mine was about 7.3kg including pedals, cages and computer mount. But that was with 25c tires. I think you could do 7.5 with some well chosen upgrades.

jadeptryx

by jadeptryx

Thanks for your reply Siim. Your knowledge is really valuable and thanks for sharing.

As nice as a Berk Lupina would be, I can't justify the cost. But yes, frameset has arrived with RAT axles so will look to change them over to normal thru axles. Otherwise just waiting on the BB to arrive so I can start to build it up in its initial form.