Wheel Balance

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Bruiser2

by Bruiser2

Has anyone done research or have experience in wheel balance changing the performance of a bike?

I've seen balance on a tubular create horrible death wobbles and it's obvious on a bike stand, but does it make a difference to balance your front and\or rear wheel?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

Honestly back in 2016 I had an enve 4.5 tubular set that shook the bike like insane on the stand. On the road, I've gone as fast as 50mph+ down a hill drafting a truck with them (smart, I know) and didn't feel like it was wobbling any.
While I won't say it's 100% safe, people are quick to blame the speed wobbles on the bike / wheels when they have horrible form (weight on their arms / hands) or tense up and white knuckle which then puts too much input into their bars and any bump gets bigger and bigger until it becomes a "death wobble" etc etc

Then again, if you're worried, balancing is minimal effort so can't hurt?

Moto riders will know ;)

Bruiser2

by Bruiser2

I have a set of 404s and the front gave me horrible speed wobbles after I changed a tyre. The valve extension threw it out.
It was really scary downhill. I learnt you can reduce the wobble by putting your knee on the frame. It really was white knuckle stuff, but with loose elbows at the same time :thumbup:

I added layers of tape to the other side and it rides beautifully now.