Rob does Gravel, Stevens Camino

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Up to date spreadsheet: https://lighterpack.com/r/yj7m9s

I always told myself I don’t need a gravelbike, I have a reasonably light hardtail for off road riding. But as my interest shifted from short XC races to longer Marathons and ultra races I started planning to build a gravel bike. Also the 2024 Gravel Worlds are in my hometown, idk how realistic it is to try and qualify for it.

The initial plan was to find a not too expensive gravel frame and swap all the components from my commuter/ allroad/ winter bike.

I ended up changing almost everything after finding some nicely discounted GRX Di2 shifters. And after picking up a second hand XTR derailleur the project got a bit out of hand.

The frame I went with is the Stevens Camino Pro, I have good access to Stevens as you might be able to tell Image. While it’s not especially light, its a decent frame for the money. The frame came in at 1270g (w hanger/ SP clamp/ bolts) and the fork came in at 493g (uncut was 530g).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Initial build came in at 8.4kg (without bar tape/ cages/ gps mount). Still need to button up some stuff. Currently on 30mm tires and will add fenders for winter. Looking to get another set of wheels with wider gravel tires.

Future weight savings:
- Wheels: - 300-500g
- Crank: - 100-300g
- Saddle: - 100-150g

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Initial Build finished shots:
FullShot.jpg
Cockpit.jpg
Drivetrain.jpg

eins4eins

by eins4eins

I like the frame, but i think it needs bigger tires. Those look a little lost on the bike.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yeah i know, its setup for road riding atm. The max tire clearance is 45mm but even then there is tons of room

tarmackev

by tarmackev

That's a very unique and fantastic looking bike. With everyone running deep carbon wheels yours really stands. I love it!

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Got some Hunt Gravel Race wheels, they are doing a sale atm. They came in a little bit heavier than stated but thats just the tape probably.Image
These Tufo gravel tires seem to get good reviews and have a reasonable price tag. Came in quite a bit heavier than stated tho.

Haven’t gotten around to taking some proper pictures, the bike is a blast to ride. Currently sitting at 8.7kg with a lot of room for weight savings.

dgdracing

by dgdracing

How does the bike ride? I have read that the comfort (on gravel) is rather "limited". I have a similar project, starting from a (too) cheap Stevens Prestige which shipped with Alu (led :D ) fork.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Rides great, there is some compliance from the 27.2mm seatpost and it handles great.

dgdracing

by dgdracing

Thx :) I am tending towards the Ekar groupset but Stevens is always a good brand concerning price/value and they also sell "just" frames.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Why I bought this bike:

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Spectacular build! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the direct mount link?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

From Stevens, they have one. Its same one as their carbon road bikes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com