Stripped SuperSix Evo HiMod Disc - 6.46 kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DeathClassic

by DeathClassic

After many years of lurking this forum I figured it'd be a good time to share my current daily bike (yes, i commute on this!) and my plans/goals moving forward.

Earlier this year I got a 2018 SuperSix HiMod Disc in 56CM. My first bike with disc brakes and I knew I wanted it to be somewhat comparable to my other rim bikes in terms of weight.

The bike is in full 'team' spec, so a love it or hate it neon green colour, with matching accented hollowgram hg35 wheels and saddle. The bike was stock when I got it and had heavy Cannondale alloy bars and stem, and a standard Fizik Arione Saddle. Off the top of my head this bike was at around 7.5kg.

I've modified a few things and now have the bike hovering around 6.9kg w/ pedals and mounts. Goal is around 6.5kg with some choice upgrades :D

Today i'm sending the frame to the painters where we'll strip off the layers of heavy paint and have the bare carbon with a gloss clearcoat. Hopefully it saves a few grams as I'd imagine the layers of primer/green/black add a decent amount to the frame/fork.

On my other bike (2014 Scott Addict Team), I have some Winspace 50mm. I've purchased QR adaptors for the rear so will be swapping over to those for this bike soon. 38mm Winspace Discs are 1370g So another ~250g saving there. Another 'easy' win is by changing the bars and stem. I'm considering between MCFK and Darimo at the moment. Overall not looking to go too crazy with super light parts as I ride daily on this and need a good balance of reliability and fun lightweight feel.
IMG_1678.JPEG
Here's the build list so far with weights where measured
56CM Hi Mod Team Frame (bare) 859g
Hi Mod Fork (cut) 370g
Hollowgram HG35 wheelset ~1600g
FSA KForce Light 42mm 210g
Kalloy Uno 80mm stem (tuned) 89g
Fabic ALM Ultimate saddle 145g
Hylix Carbon 25.4 0SB seatpost 145g
Cannondale seat binder 12g
Front Brake Dura Ace 9120 Mech
Rear Brake Dura Ace 9120 Mech
Shift Levers Dura Ace 9120 Mech
Front Derailleur Dura Ace 9120 Mech
Rear Derailleur Dura Ace 9120 Mech
Rotors XTR 140 (89g), 160 (108g)
Cassette Dura Ace 9100 11-30
Crankset SiSL 50/34
Chain Dura Ace
Tyres GP5000 25mm 215g ea
Inner Tubes Tubolito S-Tubo 46g total
Pedals Dura Ace 9000
Last edited by DeathClassic on Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Nice! I have gone down a similar approach with my synapse (including the Tailfin,but also have full length mudguards).. From memory the frame strip saved about 80g. The other decent saving would be a SISL2 crankset or maybe an old BB30 sram red exogram .

Bar wise I have used the EXS 150 (145grams). They might work for you as they’ve a short reach (which means you could poss put a longer stem on if you wanted )

Looking forward yo pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DeathClassic

by DeathClassic

Beancouter wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:58 am
Nice! I have gone down a similar approach with my synapse (including the Tailfin,but also have full length mudguards).. From memory the frame strip saved about 80g. The other decent saving would be a SISL2 crankset or maybe an old BB30 sram red exogram .

Bar wise I have used the EXS 150 (145grams). They might work for you as they’ve a short reach (which means you could poss put a longer stem on if you wanted )
Thanks for the tips! I'm having a look through your thread now and am liking what you've done with the Synapse. The EXS bars are a great suggestion as they have shorter reach than the K-Force (77mm vs 70mm). There's a Schmolke TLO stem in 100mm length locally that I could pickup and would mean my fit would be roughly the same. Seems that they're out of stock everywhere though!

DeathClassic

by DeathClassic

Gary71

by Gary71

i know what's done is probably done. But i wish you didn't strip that paint....., I reckon it was the best paint cannondale ever did - it just popped! But this is weightweenies and 80 grams is 80 grams I guess.

DeathClassic

by DeathClassic

Gary71 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:20 pm
i know what's done is probably done. But i wish you didn't strip that paint....., I reckon it was the best paint cannondale ever did - it just popped! But this is weightweenies and 80 grams is 80 grams I guess.
I get you. And for a while I struggled with what to do. In the end I saw a lot of pictures of stripped HiMod frames and fell in love with the look. So the weight savings is a bit of a bonus on top. Also I know this sounds silly but I found the green clashed with a lot of my kit and made me not want to ride it as much; so i'd rather ride it more and be stripped rather than less and be green 8)

poulhansen

by poulhansen

I won't strip my six13 5.5 kg bikes frame, it's so pretty, but a green one like this, I would immediately :-)
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

DeathClassic

by DeathClassic

Getting my frame back from the painters today. While I was waiting I managed to piece together a 9270 groupset for it.
Everything is coming along nicely. My EXS 180 bars came in from C100 and weigh 175g, a 35g saving from my K-Force bars.

Interestingly, when comparing the mechanical 9120 group I removed to the 9270 group i'm installing, I'm only saving around 100g from the group weight. The bonus though is not having to run shift cables, and the levers look so much better not having to house the ratchets etc for mech cables. Much less bulbus and overweight looking. A pair of 9120 shifters is 588g while 9270 is 296g.

In order to run DI2 you need a different derallieur hanger as the cable guide is built into the hanger. A wheels MFG Dropout-282 came in handy for the changeout.

I've also managed to find some other weight savings by cutting down my 400mm Hylix seatpost - going from 151g to 126g. Second was a carbon-ti front through-axle to replace the stock supersix one. 56.4g to 23.8g.

To house the DI2 battery I had an old 27.2 DI2 holder. This won't fit the 25.4mm seatpost so I cut it apart a bit. End result is it fits in nice and snug.

Pictures to come as i build up the frame!

DeathClassic

by DeathClassic

Boom. Bike now weighs 6.57kg as it sits (incl both bottle cages and my bar tape chucked on top. Excellent weight considering I haven't added anything too extravagant to it. The frame stripping meant that I lost 125g from the frame and 20g from the fork. So frame is 734g and fork is 350g for a 56cm. I love how the bike looks black except in direct sun where you can see the layup. It's very industrial but I'm into it.

I know this generation of SuperSix Disc isn't that popular but it really does show you how good value these frames are if you can forgive the QR rear..

9270 DI2 is easy to setup as well, but don't be a fool like me and forget to set the limit screws first! I sent the chain into the spokes before realising my mistake.

Change of plan with the wheels - I don't think that the 'stripy' layup will look good against the look of the frame. So will keep the HG35 wheels for now. In a nice way the decals on the wheels match the decals on the frame in colour very well.
IMG_1962.jpg
IMG_@ (2).jpg
IMG_1952 (2).jpg
Sadly I've just caught Covid for the first time so no riding for me for a bit until i'm better.

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

DeathClassic wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:54 am
Sadly I've just caught Covid for the first time so no riding for me for a bit until i'm better.

I came down with that damn virus for 3 times and I can say that even though the 3 time journey was harsh, I am totally fine nowadays. I hope you to feel good soon. Take care!

tomsneo

by tomsneo

Bike looks awesome ! I'm contemplating stripping my supersix evo.
Masi 3VC SL
S-Works SL7
Supersix Evo HM Black INC

DeathClassic

by DeathClassic

Pyotrump wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:25 pm
I came down with that damn virus for 3 times and I can say that even though the 3 time journey was harsh, I am totally fine nowadays. I hope you to feel good soon. Take care!
Thank you! First few days were rough, even harder now it's summer in NZ and perfect bike riding time!
tomsneo wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:09 pm
Bike looks awesome ! I'm contemplating stripping my supersix evo.
I rate it. You likely will see some filler spots and be prepared for it to take forever if you do it yourself. I don't have the patience personally so got a local bike painter to do instead.

NB there are a few more alloy bits on the disc frame which apparently don't look the nicest - the painter sprayed those parts black and feathered them into the carbon. Mainly the brake mounting points on the forks and the frame.

I've also waxed my new 12sp chain. Seems to be a fair bit louder on the stand compared to 11spd chains i've done in the past. Will be interesting to see if it stays that loud on a few rides.

My s-tubolito also had a valve stem leak at the adaptor right out of the box. Got some teflon tape to seal the threads and we are golden now.

kidding12

by kidding12

DeathClassic wrote:
Boom. Bike now weighs 6.57kg as it sits (incl both bottle cages and my bar tape chucked on top. Excellent weight considering I haven't added anything too extravagant to it. The frame stripping meant that I lost 125g from the frame and 20g from the fork. So frame is 734g and fork is 350g for a 56cm. I love how the bike looks black except in direct sun where you can see the layup. It's very industrial but I'm into it.

I know this generation of SuperSix Disc isn't that popular but it really does show you how good value these frames are if you can forgive the QR rear..

9270 DI2 is easy to setup as well, but don't be a fool like me and forget to set the limit screws first! I sent the chain into the spokes before realising my mistake.

Change of plan with the wheels - I don't think that the 'stripy' layup will look good against the look of the frame. So will keep the HG35 wheels for now. In a nice way the decals on the wheels match the decals on the frame in colour very well.

Hi, I noticed that the frame is not di2 ready (correct me if i am wrong). Could you perhaps share your setup? Some pictures would be very helpful!

Thanks!

DeathClassic

by DeathClassic

kidding12 wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:48 am

Hi, I noticed that the frame is not di2 ready (correct me if i am wrong). Could you perhaps share your setup? Some pictures would be very helpful!
Hey! You're somewhat correct, at least my one was an OEM Mechanical bike but stock these bikes could come with DI2. For this conversion I needed the rear der hanger changed out as the mech cable passes through and is too small for the DI2 cable.

Since I'm using the wireless 12-speed DI2 I didn't need to do any wiring for the shifters. All the remaining mech wires just pass through to the battery in the seatpost.

I used one of the holes on the bottom on the BB which used to have the front mech cable guide to zip tie the cables away from the Crank axle, but besides that it is very straight forwards with the semi-wireless setup. I think if you were going to use the new 105 or the older fully wired DI2 you'd need to figure out where to put a junction box and run a cable to the battery (a bit tricky since the bike runs external cabling). You could possibly feed a DI2 cable along side the rear brake hose.

Hope that helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Yurialessandro

by Yurialessandro

DeathClassic wrote:

IMG_1962.jpg
IMG_@ (2).jpg
IMG_1952 (2).jpg
May i know which brand of bottom bracket are you using?
i also have same 2018 Himod Team Disc in size 50. Later on i decide to stripped all the paint, final feight of the frame is 755 Gr, Fork is 359,9 Gr.

Yours is slightly lighter eventhough bigger in size.