Am I weird? From disc to rimbrake..and now tubulars

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Ferry

by Ferry

My first roadbike had disc brakes. I replaced that bike in 2020 with a Giant TCR Advanced SL disc. However, I have always had this urge to try a rimbrake frame. So, a couple of weeks ago I bought a 2018 S-Works Tarmac SL....Only one short ride but I really liked the ride. It is a 58 cm with S-Works cranks (double sided PM) and Roval clx50 wheels.

I have already replaced some parts, it now has: new brakehood covers, Deda traforato handlebar tape. I ditched the screw in handlebar plugs with the Deda's. I replaced the huge 11-34 cassette with a 12 - 28 and a new 12 speed XTR chain. I installed a Hopp ICR port and Ridenow tubes. I will replace the front derailleur with a 9100 FD. Saddle is comfortable but heavy. I am not sure on the Zipp stem yet. I do like the idea of a Roval Alpinist cockpit.

Some pictures:

Last edited by Ferry on Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foregroundmusic

by foregroundmusic

Really nice pickup, looks great and these have direct mount brakes right? Would love to hear your thoughts on the brakes, as you have a pretty unique perspective coming from only riding disc brakes in the past.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spokenwords

by spokenwords

I also look forward to your comparison. Mainly because Im a rim brake dude.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

Ferry

by Ferry

It has only been one short ride. The stack and reach are (nearly) identical to my TCR so no need to adjust to the position. Compared to the TCR the SL6 feels faster and more compliant. TCR feels stiff. I am not sure how much the wheels and tires affect this: the TCR has Vittoria Corsa with latex tubes and the S-Works has Turbo Cotton S with tpu innertubes. I will change the tpu tubes again has one already lost air after the ride.

So, braking. Yes, the SL6 has direct mount brakes. For me it is a complete new experience. With discs you do not have to think about braking. They will always let you stop no matter what the conditions. The rimbrakes I have to get used to and really think ahead with regard to slowing the bike down. But during this first ride I didnot feel I was lacking stopping power.

I was very pleased with the first ride especially regarding speed and comfort of the bike.

timeout93

by timeout93

Unfortunately, I also had to give up the TPU tubes from Ridenow. Super light but slow punctures. Repairing the tubes is also not that easy.
Someone on the forum also said that the ride was less comfortable with the tubes than with latex.

But I haven't tried any other light tubes from Tubolito, Schwalbe, Pirelli etc. yet.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Most 'slow punctures'in ridenow tubes are due the the valve unthreading from the stem. Try screwing it back in / tighten it before you give up on them.

Erwandy

by Erwandy

Not weird at all. I have been a hardcore disc brakes user since 2009 (on all of my MTBs). But since switching to gravel road bikes, I have been using rim brakes and I honestly feel they are great in many ways. Tuned properly, rim brakes can be quite effective and less prone to screeching issues as would be observed from disc brakes.- The bonus side of it, rim brakes will always be lighter to most disc brakes

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Beautiful bike! I've only heard positive things about the rim brake Tarmac SL6.

I 100% agree with your statement "with discs you do not have to think about braking."

Backstory: I've been riding exclusively Di2 disc brake bikes for the past 4 years and wanted a bit of a change so recently I built up a bike with DA 9100 - mechanical shifting and rim brakes. I'm using DT Swiss Oxic wheels and I find that the braking performance is very close to disc brakes. Maybe just a bit less power, but nothing too noticeable.

Yesterday I did a 19km decent with long, steep (>10%), wet sections on my rim brake bike. We got stuck behind a bus so we had to be constantly on the brakes. While the stopping power was adequate, I did find myself more conscious of the braking compared to if I were riding one of my disc brakes. I always have in the back of my mind a concern overheating a rim and getting a blowout. Out of curiosity I touched the front brake track afterwards and it had gotten warm enough that I could feel the heat through my winter gloves. I imagine that carbon wheels could suffer pretty badly here. With disc brakes, I had no such worries.

Another thing is I had to be on the drops for the entire descent (which took more than 20 minutes) because braking from the hoods just doesn't have enough power. With hydraulic braking, if I get stuck behind a slow car or just want to take it really easy on a descent, I'll just sit up and brake from the hoods.

Ferry

by Ferry

Thanks for your comments. I will check the valve of the Ridenow tubes.

I was also planning on using some aluminum rims when more stopping power is needed. I bought a Hed Jet wheelset. Unfortunately, I got scammed: the sellers profile was hacked. No wheels and no money. I will look into the DT Swiss wheels aswell.

Gary71

by Gary71

before you do. You could get some carbon wheels with a grooved break track (Zipp NSW's, Farsports S4's/Ventoux's). I have an SL6 with CLX's - they are areo and fast wheels, but absolute crap for breaking in the wet (a fair weather wheel if there ever was one), my ventoux with a grooved breaking track is in another league......, happy days !
Of course, if you are still worrying about a tyre blow out - then grab some Alu wheels and some butyl inner tubes and call it done.
Last edited by Gary71 on Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liam7020

by liam7020

Superb! I have 2018 Sagan Superstar SL6 (see signature) and still enjoy it immensely.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Ferry

by Ferry

Gary71 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:11 pm
before you do. You could get some carbon wheels with a grooved break track (Zipp NSW's, Farsports S4's/Ventoux's).
Thanks, are there more options? I will run a 23 or 24 mm up front and a 25 mm at the rear but would like to comply with the 105% rule.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

I dont believe anyone has answered your question: yes you are weird, but its a good weird.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

Ferry

by Ferry

Thanks, I thought so! Feels strange not going with the current. However, I am very happy with my decision. It's a great bike to ride. I think I can get used to rimbrakes in the right conditions. And for bad weather I will use the TCR.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

I've been riding disc brakes, first using SRAM HRD 22 brakes, and on an upcoming bike will be using Campy Chorus.

Like you though I've always fancied rim brakes, mostly for the ease of maintained and adjusted, and I find them to be more aesthetically balanced.

Last year I did a 1600km bikepacking trip across the UK, loaded the bike with 14kg of equipment and travelled the length of the UK with some friends. On one long 5km descent in the driving rain I wore down the brake pads to the backing plate. Having said that, my friend had a rim brake bike and managed just fine. It was watching him descend that really made me want a rim brake bike. I might try and build one up as a second bike if I can find the right frameset online.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com