Build my walser TT bike. (pictures on page 9)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jeffr

by jeffr

Well Mr. Walser says he may build me a frame at the end of june. So I have to decide on a few pieces. The frame, bars, and wheels are already set in stone. I'm going to get a square taper bb from andy and I *may* buy SRMs to put on it. What do people think for:

1) Fork (has to be 1"). What's the best aero fork out there? Andy suggests profile design.
2) Saddle. I've ridden track bikes with steeper geometry, but this is my first tt bike. What do you like for TT saddles?
3) I have campy on my other bikes, should I look at shimano for any reason? The rear wheel is more narrow than normal and won't be interchangeable with my other bikes anyway.
4) brakes?
5) tuned rd with ceramics for a few watts?

Any other suggestions? I'm going for reliable and fast more than light. I will probably use standard cables/housing.

I'm really excited! I will probably be the slowest person ever to ride a walser but I'm really looking forward to it.
Last edited by jeffr on Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

here is my 2 Cents:

Fork- Either easton (if avail in 1") or Profile.

Saddle- SLR tri

RD-Toss whatever you have laying around on there and wait for '07 record. I think it will be worth it.

Good luck, I wish I were lucky enough to own one of those masterpieces.

jeffr

by jeffr

Are there going to be improvements in record 07 that will matter for tt? Sounded like most were in integrated levers and cranks. Neither of which I'll need.

pritchet74

by pritchet74

No contest! You HAVE to get the Oval Concepts Jetstream fork!
http://ovalconcepts.com/productsDetails ... &idProd1=1
Available in 1" & very fast. I was going to recommend the Blackwell Time Bandit, but it is only 1-1/8".

That's going to be a nice bike - definately get the SRM. Being able to pace with power in a TT is very sweet.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Probably not, but we can't be sure until we see it now can we? It might just be worth the wait to see if it is badass and worth the bling factor. PLus, it is campy, and you can never go wrong with campy.

jeffr

by jeffr

Oval concept's jetstream is 495 grams vs 370 for the easton and 580 for the profile design.

I wonder what the aero difference between the jetstream and the easton is. 125grams is a reasonably big difference. Is there an aero fork shootout somewhere?

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

i really have to say that i like the true temper aero forks. they are reasonably light (about 400g) and very fast. the feel is very stiff yet very sensitive. and they are available in 1".

for the shifting, i have always found dura ace bar ends to be more precise than the campag equivolent. either is great, and i definately recommend the ceramic pulleys - i have them on my latest bike and intend to put them on the next bunch i build also - they are very smooth and really seem to make a difference.

on a TT bike i think that zeroG brakes are a good choice. you really want to use them as little as possible, and they are more to control your speed than to stop you (particularly if you're on a walser), so the compact brake is likely to make the least impression on the passing air.

saddle is such a personal choice that i wouldn't even know where to start. i don't like saddles with big pads up front however. if you tilt your saddle slightly down at the nose from your road setup you should find that the same saddle works for you either place - remember you want to be set up so that you are supported by your sit bones, not your perenium on the nose of the saddle...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

While I havent heard of true temper (and lance generally know's what he's talking about, he'd be able to give you more info) on the weight comparisons you'd probably be just as well off getting the SLX/SL. While some people proport large gains on an aero fork, theres probably better investments to be made to improve your aerodynamics -if its at a simmilar pricepoint to the SL/SLX. Actually, considering you're buying a walser, you've pretty much made on of the best aero investments arround.

Congrats and hope you enjoy it when it arrives.

jeffr

by jeffr

Does anyone have any experience with the oval concepts aero brake calipers? They are designed to mount behind the fork. if I use the jetstream fork it might match nicely.

KF

by KF

jeffr wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the oval concepts aero brake calipers? They are designed to mount behind the fork. if I use the jetstream fork it might match nicely.

Tillquist who is on this forum has them. Try and get hold of him.
Last edited by KF on Wed May 31, 2006 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
- G. Digital K. Loco

KF

by KF

KF wrote:
jeffr wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the oval concepts aero brake calipers? They are designed to mount behind the fork. if I use the jetstream fork it might match nicely.

Tillquist who is on this forum has them. Try and get hold of him.

BTW. I have a Profile Designs BDC front fork, and that is very aero, and sweet looking too :D
- G. Digital K. Loco

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

jeffr wrote:1) Fork (has to be 1"). What's the best aero fork out there? Andy suggests profile design.
2) Saddle. I've ridden track bikes with steeper geometry, but this is my first tt bike. What do you like for TT saddles?
3) I have campy on my other bikes, should I look at shimano for any reason?
4) brakes?

Really nice pick!

Fork: I would look EA EC 90 Aero but that 1"...or Reynold Ouzo Pro Aero?

http://www.reynoldscomposites.com/en/OuzoProAero.htm

Saddle: SLR T1 ar Selle San Marco has similar. But TT/tri seat anyway

Brakes: Front:Oval is nice but need bit re-building. It's dangerous in stock. That cable clamp is insane and mounting system should be cut lower. Fits better then, least in EA. Rear, Cane Creek 200 SL will be enought powerfull for TT/light/slim lined for aero IF you get that for cheap but D-A is sure pick. Remember good, new brake pads first, those Oval Tectro pads smoke hardly even firts test ride on Hed H3C...Lightweight pads are way to go. Oval brake is made by Tectro so bad desing faults are NOT suprise. But they work well after 1/2 hours with hacksaw and with external cable anchor.

I like D-A's in tt-bike. Bar end sifters are 1/2 price of Campy and they seem to be better. And 55th 10s. D-A ring looks good in my bike...Tune cassette is nice too. Just dump that 11+23 and put few spacers on back of cassette...12-21 8s is them 110g.

Record's are the way for road because D-A has those ugly/crappy Sti's but for TT, I like them.

BTW, I have D-A's/EA Aero fork/Oval brake/SLR T1/Tune on my TT-bike too...and I have few 200 SL too, but they are on spare un-used now because I use my own brake system on rear.

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

Skillgannon wrote:While I havent heard of true temper

True Temper = Alpha Q

http://www.truetemper.com
http://www.alphaqbike.com

They sponsor Team CSC and also makes Cervélo's house brand Wolf forks.

The TT fork Alpha Q TS-20 is made in both 1" and 1 1/8": http://www.alphaqbike.com/performance_tubing/ts20.asp

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

I have both there fork and brake. It works great. Meant to be the most areo two products for there purpose.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

The Wolf TT is nice too, as used by Team CSC, it's said to be built to have the best aerodynamic next the front wheel... marketing?