New S Works SL6 rim brake - too heavy!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

runstm

by runstm

I wanted to introduce myself and my new bike. It weighs 7.18kg and I want it to be lighter!

I bought a 2018 SL6 frame that was scratched and had it painted. The groupset is DA Di2 11 speed with 11-30 casette and 52/36 front chainrings. The rest of the spec is as follows: GP5000 tyres with latex tubes and Vittoria valve extenders; Enve SES Aero bars (40cm at drops); ENVE 4.5 wheel; Specialized carbon seatpost (sero offset); PRO Stealth Carbon Saddle; Specialized alloy stem (90mm); Ciclovation carbon bottle cages; Cicolvation bar tape; Favero Assioma pedals; brakes are DA.

Any ideas on how to reduce weight?
Attachments
69E27E52-65F1-467B-9E71-9E8F37660D0A.jpeg
B2E91067-96E9-4F80-888E-3775A117479F.jpeg
Last edited by runstm on Fri May 20, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Liking this a lot! Why are there so many disc brake only bikes? Rim brakes rule!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djel

by djel

It's already fairly light with the wheels you have. I have a SL6 disc with 11s etap and it's 6.7kg with a 1214g wheelset.

The rest is fine, but you could get a bit more by swapping to the s-works crankset. You will save on the bottom bracket, it has a removable spider if you want to stop using the Assioma and it fits the bike nicely. I saved 110g when I swapped the Red GXP crankset to the s-works crankset with ceramicspeed BB30 bearings.

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

mike wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:29 am
Liking this a lot! Why are there so many disc brake only bikes? Rim brakes rule!!
Very simple: because rim brakes are the present and the future. But, the past has always been better!

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Seems actually a bit heavy, maybe even surprisingly so.

I have SL6 size 54 matte black, DA 11 speed (but RD is Ultegra), EEbrakes, Sworks cranks with PM, (old) Zipp 404 Firecrest tubs with Specialized 28mm Hell of the North tubulars), Pro Vibe Aero SL cockpit. sitting at 6.2kg.

Biggest areas to save weight look to be pretty expensive: Darimo (non setback only available) seatpost, Sworks cranks (if you can find them), EEbrakes. In any case, if you wish to ride with power, swapping to a crank based power meter plus light pedals is generally going to save weight against DA + power pedals setup.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

marian

by marian

For example EE brakes, Roval Alpinist cockpit 250g , pedals Xpedo Thrust 8 Ti 174g…I have these parts on my tarmac

Beancouter

by Beancouter

From memory, the cream Gp5000 are pretty heavy - Compared to the tan wall, 35g on a 25mm, 55g on a 28mm.

If you then go with a TPU inner tube instead of latex, you should easily save 200g in total with the tyres

Nice bike by the way - have a saved search on eBay for a rim SL6 …. Pretty sure I will get one one day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runstm

by runstm

Thanks for thr replies - here's what I've put together.

SL6 currently 7.18kg - aim 6.8kg as I (sometimes) race in UCI sanctioned races (need to reduce by 3.8kg)

Current tyres - 255g each - 215g each for transparent GP5000 tyres
Current latex tubes - 85g each - 40g for Schwabble aerothan
Current Pedals - 302g - 164g XPEDO thrust
DA crankset - 624g - unsure of best options for swapping to crank based PM (P2M? Quarq?) as I don't like the S Works crankset
Current DA brakes - 326g - EE brakes 170g
Current seatpost - 198g (350mm) - Darimo post 95g

In summary:

80g saved with transparent sidewall tyres (costs 200 AUD)
103g saved with seatpost (costs 500 AUD)
150g saved with brakes (costs approx. 1000 AUD)
90g savedwith tubes (costs 80 AUD but reduced performance)

426g - costs 1780AUD - weight 6.75kg

Thought of power meter options and other weight savings?
Last edited by runstm on Fri May 20, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maddie

by Maddie

You might check on numbers. 1kg = 1000g, 0.1kg = 100g.
Your estimated weight savings will already bring your bike sub 6.8kg

runstm

by runstm

Maddie wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:56 am
You might check on numbers. 1kg = 1000g, 0.1kg = 100g.
Your estimated weight savings will already bring your bike sub 6.8kg
Edited above - you are right!

Alex222

by Alex222

Lovely looking bike. Big fan of the rim S-Works SL6.
You could save 80g switching to a padded Berk Lupina saddle or an alternartive lightweight option.

C36

by C36

First really nice bike. And indeed I would have expected a bit lighter, has paint been spread over old one or frame was first stripped to raw carbon?
For the weight, You have listed the major upgrades, few things come in mind:
- Bar tape, from pictures seems you use silicon type tapes, that use to weight in the 100g, cork type of is for your taste will drop by 45-50g. Best saving/$. You can also look for the Bar-ends plugs. The ones you need to screw in are adding weight to solve a problem that doesn’t exist… the basic ones are 5g and do the job.
- Quickrelease, not sure what you currently use. Fournier type are 45g for 25€ and work well.
- brake housings, mays save another 40g using Aidan bungarus (a bit cumbersome to be honest).
- you could go for non permanent valve extensions like the Mavic ones (and more aesthetic and more aero)

For what has already been discussed:
- tires, i would go for the new Michelin Cups, better than the Continental on all front and 215-222g for 25mm
- tubes, TPU if you are for all in for weight, loose a bit in rolling resistance and it’s still unclear how they behave under long braking. Weight saving /€ is hard to beat.
- brakes, look for preowned Eebrakes, regularly they pop on forums.
- Darimo seatpost i would go for it, lighter and more confort.
- I would keep the favero pedals and look for lighter cranks. You discarded the s-works, they would be the best weight saving and stiffness increase over the DA.

liam7020

by liam7020

What weight are the wheels? I wonder would something from Caden or Farsports be lighter? I waiting to take delivery of a Caden wheelset which should bring my SL6 to 6kgs and that's with the Sagan Superstar paint scheme which is very heavy. I have a few light bits but nowt too extravagant - EE brakes, Extralite stem, Revoloop tubes, PYC chain. I tried a Berk saddle but didn't take to it. I have the S-Works crankset and it is very light but the cranks are a bit chunky do catch the shoes which is a bit annoying. I've just picked up a Rotor Aldhu chainset for a new build, lovely kit and only 540g complete.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

runstm

by runstm

Thanks for the help above - much appreciated.

After a few variations the bike is now 6.84kg (I sometimes take part in UCI races so don't want to be under). Through the process I learnt that it's important to save weight in the 'right' places, without compromising performance as I race every week.

The spec described above is the same, apart from the following:

- eeBrakes
- Rotor Aldhu carbon crank arms with P2M power meter
- Look KEO carbon blade pedals (ceramic bearings with Ti axels)
- Bontranger saddle (PRO stealth carbon damaged in crash)
- 100mm alloy stem (changed from 90mm)
- S-Works seatpost trimmed in lnegth

What I tried (that didn't work for me):

- Swabble Aerothan tubes (light but much harder ride than my latext tubes)
- Darimo seatpost - smashed in a crash within one week of installation
- Extralite stem (kept slipping and was unreliable as a result)
image0.jpeg

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Did Darimo offer crash replacement or anything at all?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com