Repete R2: Reason

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

This is actually a long story. Repete is a Czech company who is producing steel frames. They won NAHBS in 2014 or 2015 and they are of course choice of connaisseurs and alternative crowd. We agreed on me riding the frame in races and giving them feedback. Riding the steel frame hard, quick and a little bit flamboyant seemed like a good idea to both Repete and me.

Then they went AWOL and I saw them being resurrected in 2020 and 2021. I reached out and they remembered - we quickly agreed that it seems fun to have the steel frame raced, pushed hard and they were keen to hear feedback from the action.

The frame
Columbus HSS tubing with T47 bottom bracket. Fork is Columbs Futura disc. All cables are run externally from the stem to the junction port at the top of the down tube - rear mech is a full bowden. The seatpost is 31,6mm and fit is reasonably aggressive.

The finish is just spectacular and the details are so well thought out. Rear mech hanger - aluminum, but the aerospace grade is super-stiff - shifting is just incredible. No rattling is just amazing. Obviously, you got to choose a custom color if you pay a little extra.

I had never ridden a steel frame before. I was expecting a noodle, a comfy noodle. This is as far from it as possible. It still has the magic ability to limit the buzz from cracks in the tarmac, to mute the texture. But the ride is very firm and the frame just urges you to push harder. And the faster you go, the better it feels. The response when you start to push at speed is amazing - the snap is not there, but it is like the invisible force pushes you forward. But be aware - this is no endurance frame and potholes feel bad

Where the bike excels is flat. We discuss this with Robin and Mikulas frequently, we agreed that it is a sensation that a lot of riders feel, but quite hard to give a reasonable explanation. Repete just flies - you push, build the momentum and it holds. A gust of wind, small inclines - nothing bothers you. Super easy to keep up the speed and push against the wind.

Climbing is... Well, the weight is obviously bad. But you can use the gravity in your favor - just forget about quick acceleration on 6-7°gradient. You stay calm and when the incline straightens - you push and use momentum to build up a speed. It doesn't feel bad when climbing, you just need to adjust a little. But the bike is obviously not nimble and the feel of sharp acceleration is quite muted. This spec is around 9.0-9.1kg.

The Build
I wanted mechanical, disc brakes were obvious choice - the frame is not available as rim brake option. Since I cannot withstand mechanical Shimano or SRAM, this was very simple. Wheels needed to be Campagnolo and Bora WTO is just stunning and 60 profile was a no brainer - weight penalty negligible and I consider myself a good bike handler to handle this depth as everyday wheels.

The rest are just things proven by the time. The saddle is Fizik Volta R1 (bought from eBay - only thing non negotiable I told them) and handlebars is classic 3T Rotundo in 40cm width. Deda Zero2 stem in 130 and I replaced the headset with Cane Creek Slamset. Chainset is 53/39 paired with 11-29. Discs are both 160mm.
IMG_4552.jpg
IMG_4549.jpg
IMG_4563.jpg
IMG_4392.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Matija

by Matija

Nice!
Frame weight?
9.0kg seems quite heavy for the build, probably with pedals and bottle cages?

velov

by velov

Beautifully considered build...parallel top tube and classic bar combo will never go out of style.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Love it. Would like to see it with some lower profile wheels as well like the wto 33s or something but only for aesthetic reasons as that frame is just gorgeous.

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry