Stelbel Antenore

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Juha

by Juha

I’ve been reading the forum quite a while, so I guess it’s also time to introduce my new Stelbel bike/build.

It’s been quite a long project as I already ordered the frame ~1,5 years ago, but nothing proceeds as planned during the Covid years..
The frame is Stelbel Antenore v2 with small modifications. Color is inspired by ”carbon black” from the BMW color chart. So basically black in the dark, and metallic blue in the bright conditions. It’s a difficult color to take photos, but I’m very very pleased how the frame looks in reality.

This will be a kind of old-school setup with external cables, rim brakes, tubular tires, and polished 11-speed Campagnolo groupset..so not super lightweight, but should be <8kg with all the accessories.

Here’s the image of the frame to start with.
Stelbel Antenore.jpg

dcj10

by dcj10

Very very nice. Looking forward to that build
Main ride Aethos Expert 2021 https://weightweenies.starbike.com/for ... 0&t=169445
First reserve Pegoretti steel 2012 Ciavete paint viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168091

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Sounds very interesting looking forward to it!

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

flying

by flying

Congrats Stelbel makes beautiful frames :beerchug:
Looking forward to your build

Juha

by Juha

The bike is pretty much built now, and I'll post some images when the weather gets more decent.

My idea was to have polished gropset with this bike (just because I like the looks of polished parts), so the groupset will be Campagnolo Athene 11speed from ~10years ago. This groupset also includes 5-arm cranks which I strongly prefer over Campas existing 4-arm design (again, purely because I like the looks more, I cannot detect any difference in performance between 5-arm and 4-arm designs)
The cranks are carbon version, which saves weight, but I'm battling with myself with this one. Polished cranks would look nice, but as this is quite heavy bike anyway, carbon it is for now. Athene 11speed is also quite light groupset by todays standards, 2060g with record cassette.

Here's the complete part listing:
Parts.JPG
Total weight looks to go over 8kg, so I still need to find some weight savings (7699g w/o pedas, bottle cage and garmin mount)
Stelbel Ti seat post is really heavy, but I plan to keep it as it matches the frame quite nicely. I can also still save few grams by cutting it.
Another easy weight savings would be QR skewers and especially bottle cage.

Any other ideas?

GrafZeppelin

by GrafZeppelin

This looks really nice!

There's plenty on cheapish weight savings which won't affect the planned looks on saddle and on expander/topcap. I would start with those.

Matija

by Matija

Nice!

Can you share bike dimensions?

Juha

by Juha

Indeed there's few very potential weight saving options, saddle being one of them.. I'll probably now spend some time actually riding the bike, and replace some parts a bit later.

Here's the bike geo
stelbel geo.PNG

velov

by velov

I'm strongly considering ordering one, so very much looking forward to a ride report.

Gary71

by Gary71

Have you built the bike yet? We need photos :lol:
I so hope you can find an Athena polished crank......., that would be perfect !

Juha

by Juha

Yes, bike is now ready, and first quick rides are done.

I've only done short ~1,5hour rides on a flat terrain so far, but first impressions are quite positive.
The frame feels stiff and even a bit hard, as expected with those huge chainstays. The steel frame still seems to absorb small vibrations really well, even with quite a rough tarmac that we have here on a small roads. I also chose thinner seat tube for this bike (27.2mm) to improve confort. So overall I believe this will be quite nice frame to ride longer distances.
Big difference to my carbon bikes is also that the frame does not make any noise at all in any situation (bumbs etc). It's hard to explain, but the overall feeling is just different

Ride position feels very natural although small adjustments still to be done (saddle position in not yet adjusted in the image below, so it won't be pointing down that much). Riding position is slightly more aggressive than what I'm used to, but the position is still confortable, and especially position from the drops felt surpricingly good. However, I'm not conviced about the flat tops of the superzero handlebar, at least not yet. Those feel a bit weird, and I see no real benefits. Maybe I'll give them some time, and swap to more traditional round shape handlebar if these still feel strange after few months.

Maybe one thing to mention is that shifting feels very very sharp. Maybe fixed steel derailleur hanger helps..

Anyway, here's 2 quick photos
Stelbel1.jpg
Stelbel2.JPG

flying

by flying

Wow that came out beautifully !

Excellent ! Congrats :beerchug:

jbaillie

by jbaillie

This looks so good - the less bulky, 5-bolt Campy 11sp fits the frame beautifully.

mrfish

by mrfish

Very nice.

Can't fault it as I have an Antenore that is nearly the same, even the colour, although mine is based on Porsche rather than BMW blue and a 12 speed groupset.

I do more miles on mine than any of my other bikes, which says a lot as most of the others cost a lot more money. I think you will enjoy yours!

dalord774

by dalord774

Very nice bike, it looks best in large sizes! 52 and over doesn't come across so well...

have fun with it (:
Look 695 / 6,5 Kg
Colnago Master / 8,7 kg
Baum Ristretto / 7,6 Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com