Klaster_1's Specialized Aethos S-Works (4.99kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:03 pm
From shifter to bar end junction A. The junction is held by a foam ring and wires. My Darimo Ellipse wasn't originally drilled for Di2, so I routed the wire externally. Not yet sure how the wire will feel under the Tesa tape or for how long it will remain intact.
It depends, but I can confirm that a standard Di2 wire under Tesa tape on drops feels in fact quite crappy :(
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

The saddle to bar drop should be the same as on FM079, but still looks way more modest than before. Probably because of shorter head tube. Maybe I'll lower the bar a bit.
Attachments
PXL_20220412_185713701.jpg

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Except for Tesa tape (~10g) and hoods (10g), almost all parts are on, current weight is 4.82kg, 290g lighter than my FM079. Assuming the first complete build weighing 4.84kg, the build I originally planned for will be around 4.66kg. That includes Darimo T1 Loop (72g vs 156g), Darimo Sub4 (5g vs 15g), lighter calipers (~40g less) and Titanum pedals (100g vs 144g). Maybe other tweaks here and there, not nothing too major. With shallow wheels, 4.5kg seems possible. Anyone managed to get their ready to ride Aethos to less than 4.7kg?
Attachments
PXL_20220413_172107950.jpg

takolino

by takolino

That is a good looking build! Amazingly light considering you have semi-aero wheels and stock post. I like how the raw UD look goes with the rims. Looking forward to seeing nice photos when it's finished!
BTW, what rotors in the front?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

@takolino thanks, not only for compliments, but tuning ideas and help that long preceded my build.
takolino wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:34 pm
BTW, what rotors in the front?
The front rotor is a 160mm Scrub Workhorse, weighs 52.44g. I wish I could source a 140mm one for the rear, these are unobtanium.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Had to visit the LBS because I gave away all my tools; cut 1cm of steerer off and removed four chain links. The bike is ready to ride. On the way to the LBS and back Aethos didn't feel much different from FM079. The scale shows 4.83kg.
Attachments
PXL_20220416_092901224.jpg

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Hey @Klaster_1, any source you can point me to for the scrub rotors? Their weight is amazing but my google-fu isn't good enough to hunt them down online. How's the performance too?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:30 pm
Hey @Klaster_1, any source you can point me to for the scrub rotors? Their weight is amazing but my google-fu isn't good enough to hunt them down online. How's the performance too?
Not really, I had a eBay search active for several years and then had to pay 140USD for it. Not sure where all of these disappeared to, probably laying forgotten in spare parts bin. The performance has been fine, not much different from Ai2, but right now I live in a very flat area, so no idea about fading and heat dissipation.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

The bike was totally fine on the first proper ride. It doesn't rattle (mostly thanks to grommets and foam beads) and sloping top tube reduces chance of hitting it with shoes (I know). I'm in a bad shape, though, gotta catch up to friends.
Attachments
Klaster_1's Specialized Aethos S-Works

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Exceent build - well done!

Quick question - any thoughts about tuning the Alpinist seatpost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Beancouter wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:53 am
Quick question - any thoughts about tuning the Alpinist seatpost?
A full lock assembly replacement is definitely an option (CF cradle, hollow Ti bolts, Schmolke-style yokes), I did that before to a similar seatpost, but I can't do that with spare parts at hand and can't order anything too. A 30cm Alpinist would work for me too. When I am finally able to order parts, I'd just get a Darimo instead.

A couple of rides in and the rear tire sliced by a shard of glass. Sadly, SpB road sides this time of year are full of debris left from winter. Dysfunctional city management can't even keep the city center clean. Frustrated, I decided to put Pro Ones on. The tires seat loose, with beads lubed by soap, you can put these on easily without levers, making seating the bead extra hard even with a Tire Booster.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I bought the Darimo post but not sure how I feel about my saddle being held on by a bit of ‘string’

Prefer the look of the Alpinist too. May do some tuning myself - need to work out what carbon cradle first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Beancouter wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:30 pm
I bought the Darimo post but not sure how I feel about my saddle being held on by a bit of ‘string’ Image
Agree with the look, back of the saddle rail slope smoothly transitioning into the setback seatpost head looks attractive. Have you seen Darimo T2 15mm SB? Basically a lighter version of Alpinist, with all the modifications I mentioned.

takolino

by takolino

I have that post. Probably the lightest setback option. In regards to the T1 "string", it's good. Maybe better than the T-yoke design which can twist and loosen. It just takes a bit more care to tighten it down. Once set, you can forget about it. Same material as the Berd spokes.

That's a super clean build, @klaster_1, especially considering it's mostly from parts you have already. Hope you can get new parts eventually.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

If anyone's interested, I've updated the first post with a complete build list. Tubeless tires increase the weight from ~4830g to ~5020g. I might even put a 30mm tire on the rear for increased comfort.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com