Velobuild VB-R-066 (do not buy from them)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

timeout93

by timeout93

I came back from my vacation this week and was now able to look at my frameset as well as most of the other parts. First, I would like to start with my experience with Velobuild.

As I have already written above, there was a small selection of frames, which I have looked more closely.
In the end it was the 066 from Velobuild, mainly for reasons of lower reach. In addition, one must of course also say that Velobuild, even among the Chinese is one of the cheapest suppliers.

The communication was somewhat unsatisfactory. Chris often responds only to part of the message and since I wanted to have the frameset and stem handlebar unit in raw with glossy finish, I have asked several times whether he can confirm this to me. He never did. Therefore, I was curious what I would receive in the end.
I had ordered the frameset, the handlebar unit, two bottle holders and a saddle.

The frameset came as ordered in glossy. But it looks like there is still some black paint underneath, because you can see the carbon structure only when looking very closely. But that's honestly all not worth mentioning, because I also did not expect that everything would be perfect. In itself, the frameset feels a bit cheap, because the finish is just not at the level of established manufacturers. There is still paint on the brackets of the brakes, the inputs for the hydraulic lines is not clean and so on. Here I still have work to do.

The handlebar unit was also ordered raw with glossy finish. According to the website, it should be, as the frame in UD. Arrived it is raw matte and in 3k. This is quite annoying because it does not fit (visually). In addition, the manufacturing is worse than the frame. It looks very cheap and you can see how carbon flakes off inside the handlebar.

The frameset came with two axles made of carbon. It was missing washers and therefore the axles scrape off the paint. The rear axle is completely broken at 6NM, the front axle was then not even pulled tight and it was ordered two new axles in aluminum.

To the saddle I can not say anything because it has oval struts and does not fit on the seatpost. Thus, I remain with the old saddle.

To the bottle cage I can also say nothing ... they were not in the package.

So all in all a not so nice experience. I have written Chris afterwards and listed all the above points.

To the handlebar unit came only that they had 3k in stock and therefore have sent this one. The axle will be replaced (let's see if it really happens) and to the rest came once again nothing.

timeout93

by timeout93

Frame

Weight frame, bolts, rear hanger: 1056gr (58)
IMG_2537.jpeg
IMG_2540.jpeg
IMG_2550.jpeg
IMG_2542.jpeg
IMG_2545.jpeg
IMG_2546.jpeg
IMG_2534.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timeout93

by timeout93

Fork

Weight: 373gr uncut/ no axle
IMG_2551.jpeg
IMG_2553.jpeg
IMG_2557.jpeg
IMG_2558.jpeg
IMG_2560.jpeg
IMG_2563.jpeg

timeout93

by timeout93

Handlebar

Weight: 348gr
IMG_2566.jpeg
IMG_2567.jpeg
IMG_2568.jpeg
IMG_2630.jpeg
IMG_2565.jpeg

timeout93

by timeout93

Wheelset

Weight: 700gr front / 785gr rear with rimtape
IMG_2516.jpeg
IMG_2517.jpeg
IMG_2518.jpeg
IMG_2519.jpeg
IMG_2521.jpeg
IMG_2524.jpeg
adapters
IMG_2532.jpeg
tubes

Unfortunately, there are two problems:
1. the front wheel came with a 15x100 axle
2. the valves of the hoses are too thick for the carbon rims

Bought a new axle with end caps. The seller has taken over the cost, since 12x100 were also specified. With the hoses I do not know yet how to solve this.

timeout93

by timeout93

Groupset

weight: around 1908gr without chain, housing, small parts

IMG_2520.jpeg
casette that came with the wheelset
IMG_2527.jpeg
SRoad 11-28T
IMG_2528.jpeg
ZTTO bb86 30mm
IMG_2574.jpeg
FSA K-SL Compact
IMG_2575.jpeg
IMG_2576.jpeg
SRAM Force 22 medium cage
IMG_2577.jpeg
SRAM Force 22
IMG_2578.jpeg
SRAM Force 22 HRD front
IMG_2579.jpeg
SRAM Force 22 HRD rear
IMG_2580.jpeg
FM, rear PM

timeout93

by timeout93

Update

It has now taken a little longer to build the bike. Unfortunately, there were still problems here and there.

Regarding Velobuild:
I have opened a case with Paypal to exert pressure. Chris got back to me and we agreed that I would get compensation:
- two axles in aluminum, which I no longer need, because I have bought new ones.
- new handlebar in UD
- two bottle holders (which were missing at the first delivery)

I hope it arrives soon and I can close with the chapter.

Unfortunately the seatpost is slipping. I had heard of this on other models from Velobuild but not yet on this one. I have tightened the seatpost with 6NM, unfortunately there was no indication on the part of VB with how much NM you should clamp. I have now used some tape and hope the seatpost remains in this position.

Regarding the tubes. I tried again to mount them and with a little pressure they went through the valve hole. So far they hold air.

The biggest problem was and is the combination of frame, bottom bracket and crank. Unfortunately, the crank does not turn when you pull it tight. It seems like it would be 2mm too short. I have now ordered another PF bottom bracket and will try it with it. For the first ride I had to botch something, it holds reasonably but is not a solution for long.

The discs will have to go down again in the long term. They are nice and light but they also do not brake so optimal. Since I'm not heavy but also no lightweight, heavier discs will come again.

Oh yes weight: I have no real scale here but with the kitchen scales and weigh front wheel and rear wheel we currently come out at about 7.3kg. With pedals. So we have not reached the goal, unfortunately, but we will come to under 7kg with new tires and pedals.

Also, Hope RX4 brakes are still ordered. I want more braking power and besides, they are just beautiful.

In the picture is a cross and a road bike tire. I had thought I still have two X-One tires here, but then had to make the road bike tire for the first tour (130km) on it.

79DED4A4-9C83-4C46-BE3F-84EB03A15215.JPG
Last edited by timeout93 on Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timeout93

by timeout93

edit.

worstje

by worstje

Thanks for the detailed report. I really appreciate it, since I also have a relatively short reach, whereby this frame is the only Chinese one (open mould copy of Canyon Endurace, obviously) I have found with an appropriate stack and reach (except for the Carbonada CFR 1056).

Some questions that will help me with my decision:
1. Is the quality of the headset and bottom bracket bearing shells good w.r.t. to tolerances, i.e. did you experience any issues while fitting the BB and headset? Did you resolve your issues with the stuck crankset mentioned in the post above?
2. How is your overall riding experience with this bike? Does it feel as stiff as announced?
3. Would you buy this frame again or rather go for another manufacturer?

Many thanks!

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

For the bottom bracket problem...try to measure the width installed with a caliper. It should be 86.5mm for the FSA to install. I think the ztto one is 92mm as per Rotor and other 30mm standard bottom brackets. I learned this the hard way by ordering a rotor 4130 bb to fit my FSA powerbox which is bb386. Just buy the FSA bottom bracket which is higher quality than the ztto

timeout93

by timeout93

Update regarding Velobuild

As I wrote in my last post, I had opened a case with Paypal because I did not receive bottle cages, my handlebars were not in the finish I ordered and because one of the axles broke before the first ride.
Chris had then promised me compensations.

How did that turn out?

I received a tracking number from Chris and had been waiting for the package. One day I went online to see where the package was, because it had been weeks since it was sent. The tracking info said they could not locate find the recipient and sent the package immediately back. In truth, I guess a package was never sent, just a letter, to an address that doesn't exist. Unfortunately, I closed the case on Paypal at the time and can't reopen it. Honestly, I do not want to deal with it anymore, and close the chapter.

Therefore, I can only strongly advise anyone not to order from Velobuild!

timeout93

by timeout93

Update on the bike

I couldn't help myself and replaced a few more parts on the bike.
The attempt to try 2x failed pretty much, which was certainly also due to the problem with the crank. I have then taken this as an excuse to replace the complete Drivetrain.

Evo 1:

- FSA K-SL Compact 165mm
- ZTTO bottom bracket
- SRAM Force 22 Disc
- SRoad 11-28T
- Some Aliexpress chain

- Velobuild HB-006 handlebar/stem combo

Evo 2:

- SRAM Red 175mm with 4iiii powermeter
- SRAM Rival AXS shifter
- SRAM Rival AXS rear der.
- Shimano XT Chain
- ZTTO 12sp 10-36T

- OG-Evkin HB-010 handlebar
- kalloy uno 90mm stem

I wanted to try 165mm cranks, but have quickly realized that I and/or my legs are just too long for it. In addition, I can with the longer cranks also set my saddle a little lower again, which is good. I have made a pretty good deal for the new crank and also for the shifter (new). The rest I have bought new.

Through the cockpit I have significantly reduced the reach and have now found a very comfortable position.

In addition, I have ordered two of the Carbonworks-knock offs bottle cages. Weigh only 7gr per bottle cage. So far they hold, however, it is somewhat fiddly to get the bottles out and in when I'm on the road with my frame bag.

Weight-wise I should come out at 7.1-7.2 kg with everything.

I post a few pictures as soon as I have put on some handlebar tape. The old one is unfortunately torn.

timeout93

by timeout93

worstje wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:29 pm
Thanks for the detailed report. I really appreciate it, since I also have a relatively short reach, whereby this frame is the only Chinese one (open mould copy of Canyon Endurace, obviously) I have found with an appropriate stack and reach (except for the Carbonada CFR 1056).

Some questions that will help me with my decision:
1. Is the quality of the headset and bottom bracket bearing shells good w.r.t. to tolerances, i.e. did you experience any issues while fitting the BB and headset? Did you resolve your issues with the stuck crankset mentioned in the post above?
2. How is your overall riding experience with this bike? Does it feel as stiff as announced?
3. Would you buy this frame again or rather go for another manufacturer?

Many thanks!
Hi worstje,

you're welcome :) If I remember correctly, this frame is also available from other manufacturers. OG-EVKIN makes a similar frame, although the tyre clearance is only up to 28c as advertised.

For your questions:
1. I have never installed or removed the headset, but I could not find anything negative. Also with the BB I could not find anything. Have both but also not remeasured, I also do not have suitable tools for it. Therefore, I can unfortunately say nothing about it. The problem of the crank seems to have been the combination of crank and BB and not the frame. I have it but also no longer solved. I had bought another BB but then decided to replace everything.
2. I've now driven just under 1,000km with it and it drives well. Does it drive like an Endurace? Is it stiff? I can not and will not say anything because I have too little experience with other road bikes and have no direct comparison.
3. well after my experience definitely no more :)

Sorry I could not help much more.

timeout93

by timeout93

Edopizzo wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:30 pm
For the bottom bracket problem...try to measure the width installed with a caliper. It should be 86.5mm for the FSA to install. I think the ztto one is 92mm as per Rotor and other 30mm standard bottom brackets. I learned this the hard way by ordering a rotor 4130 bb to fit my FSA powerbox which is bb386. Just buy the FSA bottom bracket which is higher quality than the ztto
Thank you for your reply. As written above, I have now completely replaced the parts, but that definitely sounds plausible.

vTuga

by vTuga

Very cool build. Let me know how you get on with the bottom bracket and crank combination. Aparently BB86 pressfit bottom brackets can have problems with DUB cranks. I'm also building a velobuild 168 with a BB86 and Sram Force AXS with DUB crankset, so hopefully its not a big deal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com